Public Speaking... In Fuzzy Bedroom Slippers

Submitted into Contest #206 in response to: Write about someone facing their greatest fear.... view prompt

33 comments

Creative Nonfiction Coming of Age Funny

Public Speaking...In Fuzzy Bedroom Slippers


And the honor goes to...

“Why? How? That's what I want to know. Who's great idea was it to make me the emcee.

I, I c-can't do it. I, I can't stand in front of a large room of people and, and t-talk. No way, no freakin' way. I w-would freak out. I, I w-would st-stumble all over the w-words. I, I w-would m-make a f-fool of myself. Who, who would want to listen to me. I c-can't w-write a speech. I, I'm not witty or f-funny. I'll only embarrass myself and ruin the whole affair for everyone. D-don't make me. P-please don't make me speak in public. It would be a nightmare. My nightmare. Everyone hates speaking in public. It is everyone's greatest fear! I, I c-can't do it.

“Thirteen boys in our class, thirteen girls in our class. Why am I the lucky one? Did I get the lowest grade on the math quiz? Draw the short straw? Get the short end of the stick? Oh, you pulled my name out of the hat. Right? As Principal, Mr. Starr, you know I am not right for this job. I am no politician. I can't talk in front of a crowd.”

“No, Mary, you were voted in as the most popular choice.”

“Most popular choice for ruining the whole honors banquet. We are supposed to be making these people feel good about their accomplishments. Not torture them.”

“It's traditional for a seventh-grader to be the emcee for the eighth-grade honors banquet. You've been chosen. It is quite an honor. You'll do fine.”

“What do I do? What do I say?”

“You introduce people, maybe tell a funny anecdote or make up a joke. You know, ab-lib a little. Read the names of the recipients of the awards. It's easy.”

“If it's so easy, why can't you do it. Why can't anyone else but me do it? It's still public speaking. You know, talking in front of people. As in 'Number One Fear'! Just ask anyone. I can't do that. No way! What jokes would I tell?”

“You have plenty of time to prepare. It's a week from Thursday.”

Oh, so simple! A week from Thursday. A week from Thursday! That's only ten days!

*~*~*~*

“Dear, sweet, Brother Bruce. You have Mr. O'Sullivan as your basketball coach don't you? Can you think of any witty anecdotes I could tell about him? I need to introduce him at the awards program.”

“You have him for Social Studies. Come up with your own story.”

“Nothing is funny about Social Studies. Surely, he is more relaxed at practices. Help! Please!”

“He crosses his arms in front of his chest to impersonate Ed Sullivan.”

*~*~*~*

“I'm trying to let my hair grow out longer, Mom. I don't think I want another permanent. It will be too kinky for the banquet.”

“You could try one of those new kind that add body but not a lot of curl, Sis. Wouldn't that make your hair easier to style? I can help you with it this weekend. What do you plan on wearing?”

“She'll have to wear one of your best dresses, Thelma.”

“You mean the two matching ones that used to be ours, Mom?”

“Yes. She has outgrown her own but one of you two older girls' dresses ought to fit her now. They are still so pretty.”

“But they are see-through sky-blue with white flocked flowers and have big full skirts with huge butterfly cap sleeves. I'll look like a bird up in the sky.”

“Wear a full white slip under it and with the wide, white cummerbund it will be very becoming. And spring-like. You girls were always so cute when you wore them all at the same time. Your Grandma was so proud. She worked so hard sewing those for you. You need to get use out of them. This will be the perfect occasion.”

“Aah, Mom. Shouldn't I look more business-like with a plain button down the front blouse and pencil-skirt? And what shoes do I have that go with something fancy?”

*~*~*~*

“Hey, Mary, you've been working so hard on that stupid speech come on outside with me and try out this new skate board that my friend Matt brought over. We're going to the school where there is the perfect hill on the sidewalk.”

“What in the world is a skate board, Bruce?”

“Well, it's a board with a skate on it. Come on you'll see.”

“It's easy. Watch!”

“Matt, you make it look easy. Okay, I'll give it a try.

“Aaahhh...aaack!!!”

“I think she did that all wrong. Your sister, Mary, is not full of grace.”

“Don't think she planned to bounce face first down on the concrete! That's a lot of blood.”

“Oh...oh. Ouch! I broke my nothe! An' bit my tongue! I need thitheth. My glatheth are buthted! I can't thee anything without them.”

*~*~*~*

“I am sorry, Hon. These are the only frames the optometrist had in stock that fit your lenses. Your new ones will take two weeks to come in.”

“They will be perfect with my new purple nothe thwelled three timeth bigger than normal. The boyth in clath already call me moothe. Now I look the part.”

*~*~*~*

“Thelma, I thought thith perm thuppothed to make thoft waveth. Thith is wiry kinkth.”

“Oops! Maybe it will relax in a day or two. But it does bring out your copper highlights.”

*~*~*~*

“Ready for the big night, Hon? Oh, you shouldn't be crying. Your eyes will be red and you'll smear the touch of mascara I just applied.”

“At leath it will be a very colorful night, Mom. I gueth the joke ith on me. I'll make them laugh all right. I am tho nervouth. My kneeth won't thop knocking.”

“Do you have your cue cards?”

“I memorithed everything: Welcome, Ladieth and Gentlemen. We have a really big thow planned tonight to honor our thpethial thothial thudieth profethor Mither O'Thullivan and hith eighth-grade clathroom at Thaint Mark'th Lutheran Thool here in Theelville, Illinoith...”

*~*~*~*

“Ah, Mither Tharr, where do you want me until time to go on thage?”

“Hi, uh, Mary... Don't you look...uh, nice tonight? What's with the lisp?”

“I bit my tongue and needed thitheth. Think people will notithe?

“I know you are juth being kind about me looking nithe. What do you like beth? The kinky, frithy hair that lookth like copper brillo padth? The thwollen purple and yellow nothe topped by thnot-green frameth on my glatheth that magnify my red crying eyeth thircled in black dripping mathcara. My thpingy thky-blue thee-through dress with flocked flowerth ready for flight. The material ith tho thiff I can't quit ithing and my thlip ith thlipping. But my detheathed Grandmother ith tho proud.

“Or, or, oh, no! Look! My thockth don't match! One hath thripeth! Yiketh thripeth! The other hath polka dotth! Big ugly, thartreuthe polka dotth! And they go all the way up to my knocking kneeth!

“But horror, of all horrorth! Bethideth thpeaking in public, it'th every one'th worthe re-occurring nightmare. I've forgotten to thange thoeth! Thee? Micky Mouthe futhy bedroom thlipperth!”












July 13, 2023 19:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Amanda Lieser
05:47 Aug 11, 2023

Oh my gosh, Mary! You manage to capture the aches and pains of growing up in a beautiful story! As soon as they mentioned, your protagonist’s age, 7th grade, I instantly knew this was going to be a story of hard lessons learned and a memory well-made. Nice work!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:07 Aug 11, 2023

Thanks for liking and commenting. Yes it made an impression.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:37 Jul 21, 2023

Oh, Mary. I've still got tears streaming down my face from laughing. The poor girl. She could always say she had to wear her slippers because she stubbed her toes as well. Could barely understand her. What a catastrophe. Many of us will identify with her feelings about public speaking. As for the rest. A series of unfortunate events.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:51 Jul 21, 2023

Thanks for the sympathy 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Morgan Thompson
00:05 Jul 20, 2023

Love this! The title reminds me of COVID remote working!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:26 Jul 20, 2023

Can't beat working in fuzzy bedroom slippers Thanks for liking.👣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
09:30 Jul 18, 2023

Oh what a mess! Public speaking has always been difficult for me too. You did a great job writing the lisped speech at the end-very immersive :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:07 Jul 18, 2023

Thank you tho muth.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
00:58 Jul 18, 2023

One of my greatest fears and I didn’t know it. One thousand people and it was a real dithathter. So you picked a good one Mary

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:24 Jul 18, 2023

Tho thorry about that. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:05 Jul 17, 2023

You know what? If you're going to have a bad time public speaking, you might as well go all out :) At some point, after all, it really can't get any worse :) Definitely a huge fear for many people. I wonder if all the other calamities make the fear worse, or ironically better, as there's too much other stuff to worry about. This was probably quite stressful in the moment, but it's amusing looking back on it. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:12 Jul 17, 2023

That's me. Make it as miserable as possible.

Reply

03:38 Jul 21, 2023

It's called milking the drama for all it's worth. You're allowed to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
13:59 Jul 17, 2023

Public speaking is definitely a relatable fear. To do so in a hideous outfit, with crazed hair, broken nose, and mis-matched socks topped off with Micky mouse slippers… well it’s too much horror to bear. I’d go running for the hills! I enjoyed this story and I laughed and shuddered my way through it. Well done.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:50 Jul 17, 2023

Glad I could make your day with my little nightmare! Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ellen Neuborne
19:59 Jul 15, 2023

Poor Mary. I especially liked the way all the adults seemed to shrug off her concerns. Sure, it's no big deal to get up an emcee the awards banquet -- if you're an adult! I felt her pain.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:09 Jul 15, 2023

Thanks 🙏.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:32 Jul 15, 2023

I used to really detest public speaking so I have every sympathy with this character. As funny as this is I felt so bad for her. One of my flat mates at uni actually turned up to a Christmas ball in her slippers by mistake! Delightful story, highly entertaining. Thank you for the giggle.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:12 Jul 15, 2023

Thanks and you are welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
05:20 Jul 15, 2023

The bitten tongue got me. I just imagine doing that during a speech. How mortifyingly funny!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:44 Jul 15, 2023

Nothing 😜 was going well. Thanks for commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
09:08 Jul 14, 2023

Mary this was great, the teenage horrors just kept building and building, to the point I had to laugh at the lisp. Very well done. Funny how at the beginning you complain about not being able to write a speech then you do such a marvelous job on the dialogue, ha. Brilliant. 👍👏

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:32 Jul 14, 2023

Thanks for liking and brilliantly commenting.😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:10 Jul 14, 2023

Oh poor Mary! To give a speech in 7th grade is bad enough, but to do it with a lisp, bad glasses, ill fitting clothes and Mickey Mouse slippers is too much! The trauma, the trauma! I hope writing this story helped!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:36 Jul 14, 2023

Ah, yes. I can go back out in public again. Just don't make me talk.🥸

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
22:30 Jul 13, 2023

Mary, quite a cute story. Poor Mary. The lisp after biting her tongue on her first skate boarding attempt. The outfit wasn't bad enough but she drew the line at the Mickey Mouse futhy bedroom slippers. Nicely done. Thanks for the good read. LF6

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:38 Jul 13, 2023

All true. See comment to Chris Miller. The mixed matched socks and inappropriate shoes was always a recurring nightmare for me. This was about six decades ago!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
22:25 Jul 13, 2023

Aaaarghh! I've had similar anxiety dreams! Great work on the bitten-tongue dialogue. Really fun and relatable story. Thanks for sharing, Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:34 Jul 13, 2023

Note the creative nonfiction. Yep, really happened. Luckily not all at exact same time as depicted. I did face plant off skateboard first time ever trying one and broke my glasses. Had huge purple and yellow nose. Talked with lisp and the only frames available were snot -green color for two weeks. We took a trip during that time I was looking so fine. I was chosen to emcee honors banquet same year but thankfully had healed. I really had three dresses like one described.

Reply

Chris Miller
22:42 Jul 13, 2023

Noted with anxious sympathy! I was so shy when I was younger one of my earliest memories is refusing to be Joseph in my nursery nativity play. If I was chosen to emcee anything I would have left the country.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:52 Jul 13, 2023

That wasn't an option. I actually found my cue card index cards when I cleaned out my mom's house two years ago. The speech must have been just as terrible as I looked. I threw those away for good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
20:14 Jul 23, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:57 Jul 23, 2023

Glad it made you laugh 😂. A site to see and dithather to hear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.