2 comments

Romance

That day was something that Emilia Marquess had been dreading for about a week now.

'“I can't believe my friends would just force this bullshit blind date on me despite knowing about my social anxiety. What jerks!” Emilia muttered to herself as she fiddled with her bootlaces. Done with tightly tying the laces to an uncomfortable degree, she straightened up and took a deep breathe before opening the front door to her house.

That day was something that Edward Jones had been looking forward to for a about a week now.

“Whew(exhales softly), Can't believe my friends got a date for me this fast. Well I guess they too were in a hurry to help me move on. They sure come through when you need them.” Edward spoke with a nervous smile on his face as he fumbled with the buttons on his overcoat. He lightly scrathed the back of his head as his other hand turned the doorknob to his front door.

The place was a coffee house, The time was 7-ish. When Emilia arrived she was suddenly stuck by the confusion about whether they were supposed to meet inside the coffee house or near the entrance?Or if she was the first to arrive should she wait by standing near the entrance or inside it? She got stangely worried and hesitantly stopped just before the entrance of the coffee house. She looked around it to find no one but felt relief after a few minutes when a guy from the opposite side of the street gave her a small wave and began jogging towards her.

"You must be Edward,right?" Emilia asked even though it was obvious to her at this point.

"Yeah. And you must be Emilia,right? " Edward spoke while he discretely gave her a once over. He found her beautiful, just like his friends had told him, and more importantly she was more or less dressed in the same casual way as he was. He felt glad about the fact that he decided not to go for something more formal.

Emilia nodded at him and gradually formed her first impression. He was tall, handsome enough for her and seemed to have a positive atmosphere around him. She looked in his brown eyes and wondered whether he felt disappointed or happy to see her.

Like a gentleman Edward opened the door for Emilia and they quickly took a two person table. The little awkwardness between then began to dissapear as they sat through talking while waiting for the coffee. Emilia felt glad that Edward always leaded the conversation and kept the topic light. Edward felt glad that he had thought up some jokes beforehand for this but also slightly worried wondering whether she felt annoyed with him doing most of the talking.

After the coffee came the topic develed more into their personal life and Edward felt happy that Emilia was sharing some funny stories about her co-worker and freinds. Emilia learned that Edward was excited about his date and smoothly lied that she too felt excited.

The first wrong thing that Emilia felt happen with the date was when Edward got a call when she was in the middle of telling her a funny story. She thought it was a bit wrong to take a call while in the middle of the date but it could have been important so she didn't say anything. He answered the call in front of her and talked in a bit louder voice. Emilia thought the whole ordeal was weird. And it didn't leave a good impression on her but since it was nothing major she accepted it when he offered to go to a dinner. Moreover Emilia noted that Edward had brought up his ex a number of times now.

Edward mentally cursed his own stupidity when he accidentally brought up his ex the third time. He also felt a bit off when Emilia laughed at her own storied more instead of his. He also had to fake laugh through some of the jokes she said. One time he didn't even get what was funny about a joke and Emilia emmbarsedly spoke that you had to be there to see it.

When they were about to leave the coffee house Edward payed for the bill and Emilia didn't say anything about that. Edward mentally noted that to himself and led the way to a dinner place which was nearby.

On the way till they sat down on their table they talked the while way and found out that they had some things in common while some things they didn't agree about. Emilia decided to stray the conversation away from the topics they didn't agreee about. Edward would have liked to talk more about it since he thought that way they might open up more to each other but decided to stay quite about that.

The first time when Edward felt was not doing well was when they dinner came and Emilia became quiter while she ate. And at that moment Edward remembered how his ex always used to play around with food and joke about it.

Emilia liked to eat in silence and she had also run out of things to speak about. Edward made some few jokes here and there but quickly gave up when he saw Emilia's somewhat laking reaction.

After dinner while they were waiting for bill Emilia confessed in a light tone that she had social anxiety and the idea of the blind date was something that her friends came up with. Edward quietly smiled after hearing that and reached for his wallet when the waiter presented them with the bill. He fully payed for it and although took her number decided that he was still not completely ready to move on and not to call her yet.

As Emilia gave her number to him with a smile she thought that she wouldn't really mind whether he decided to call or not. She felt that he was a nice guy but didn't have any distinctive features.

August 24, 2020 14:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ash Hale
13:52 Sep 04, 2020

Hey...I take part in the critique circle and they sent me your story this time round. I think it was wonderfully written, however the ending was a bit bland. I don't expect you to make it a cliche or something, but I feel you could have experimented with an open ended story...something that left us thinking what may have happened further. Congratulations on the first submission!

Reply

TheCritic Boy
21:26 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you. I appreciate your remarks very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.