3 comments

Fiction Speculative American

Under the dim lights of the deserted Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Philip Ackerman stood alone, his tall silhouette casting a long shadow across the wide stage. The once raucous and vibrant hall was now still and silent, save for the echoing remnants of the election night rally that had unfolded here just hours ago.

He looked out across the vast expanse, taking in the view of discarded plastic cups, deflated balloons, torn banners and multicolored confetti scattered across the floor. Each piece was a stark reminder of the night's events – of high hopes and harsh realities, of a hard-fought battle and a dream momentarily deferred.

In the solitude of the cavernous hall, Philip found himself drawing parallels between the discarded remnants of the rally and the ideals he had campaigned on, the issues that had driven him to step into the political arena. The venue may have been empty, but to Philip, it was filled with allegories, each telling a tale of his campaign, his principles, and his opponent.

He walked towards the edge of the stage, his footsteps echoing in the hall, and stooped to pick up a discarded plastic cup. It had once been filled to the brim with champagne, a symbol of celebration, of victory. Now it was just an empty vessel, abandoned and forgotten. It reminded him of his opponent, the career politician who had emerged victorious, filled with the effervescent promises of change but offering little substance beneath the glamour and glitter.

His gaze shifted to the torn banners that hung limply from the rafters. Their bold slogans promising change and prosperity were now obscured by shadow. They reminded him of the media, once considered the torchbearers of truth and objectivity, but had now morphed into glorified publicists. His opponent’s every word was amplified and celebrated, his flaws spun into strengths, his empty promises heralded as visionary foresight.

Amongst the sea of debris, Philip’s gaze was drawn to the deflated balloons lying lifelessly on the floor. They were symbols of his rival's campaign, inflated with lofty promises, buoyant with the illusion of hope, but ultimately, like the students burdened by exorbitant college debts, deflated by the harsh realities of a system favoring the privileged few.

The scattered pieces of confetti, each unique and colorful, were like the many voices of the citizens, each one a vital part of the larger picture. In the wake of his opponent's victory, the confetti seemed to symbolize those voices drowned out by the influence of big corporations. They represented the individual states, their rights overshadowed by the self-serving agendas of big institutions – banks, oil companies, pharmaceutical corporations, and universities that turned education into a profit-churning enterprise.

As he moved through the debris of the rally, he saw not just the aftermath of an election but the reflection of a system in need of change. A system where students were shackled with debt in pursuit of degrees that often led to joblessness, where media bias swayed public opinion, where the voice of the states was drowned out by the clamor of big corporations, and where politicians were more puppet than leader.

Conversely, Walking through the debris, Philip saw not just the aftermath of his rally, but a reflection of the issues that defined his campaign and himself. It was a story told in symbols, a story of hopes and dreams, challenges and setbacks, but most importantly, it was a story of resilience.

But Philip knew that the journey did not end with a lost election. The debris of the rally were symbols of a fight that was yet to be won, a promise yet to be fulfilled. He recognized that the discarded cups, the torn banners, the deflated balloons, and the scattered confetti were not just remnants of a lost election, but reminders of the change he had pledged to bring.

As Philip stepped off the stage and into the quiet dawn, he felt a renewed sense of purpose. The initial sting of loss was gradually replaced by the resolve to continue his fight. His campaign might have ended, but his journey was far from over. He was not just fighting for a position, but for a better healthcare system, a more equitable educational landscape, a fair criminal justice system, and the preservation of states' rights.

The dawn was breaking, its soft golden glow permeating the deserted convention center. A new day was on the horizon, and with it came renewed hope, a second chance, a new beginning. Despite his loss, Philip felt invigorated, ready to face the challenges that lay ahead. His vision for a fairer society remained unchanged, and he knew that his mission was larger than one lost election.

The sun was rising, casting a warm glow on the discarded remnants of the rally. And as Philip walked out of the deserted convention center, he carried with him the allegories of his campaign. A promise of change still hung in the air, a beacon guiding his path forward.

Because, like the message on the still-hanging banner in the convention center, Philip’s belief in change was still alive. It was a promise of a fight yet to come. It was the promise of a better tomorrow, a promise to the people and to himself, that he would continue his journey, that he would keep fighting for what he believed in, for a fair country, a society of justice, and people willing to contribute to their communities for the better.

For now, the stage was empty, the lights were dim, and the audience had left. But the echo of his campaign, his fight, and his promise still hung in the air, reminding him that this was not the end, but merely the beginning. His journey was not over; it was just taking a new path, guided by the lessons of the past and the promise of a brighter future.

The statesman had lost the election, but not his dream. The same dream he shared with many. To some it was the promise of certain platform issues, to others it was the shiny spectacle of the party their mom voted for. Phil walked out the door, the sound of an old song played in the distance from a car driving by. “How fitting” he mused……. Blinded by the light….. revved up like a deuce.. another runner in the night. “Manfred Mann’s Earth Band might have been on to something.

June 05, 2023 18:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Barbra Golub
18:16 Jun 15, 2023

I enjoyed the imagery in your story. Your descriptions put me in that convention center.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Jenkins
15:20 Jun 15, 2023

I feel like I've reviewed your work before. Seems so familiar. Anyway, I loved this story. We're almost exact opposites politically, but your story was well-written, concise, and very entertaining. I don't remember seeing one type-o or grammar issue in the entire piece! I can almost imagine a Bernie Sanders-type politician, looking at a lost election, not with the smear of failure, but with the inspiration and encouragement to keep fighting on. Very well made.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kenneth Ohlson
19:00 Jun 05, 2023

I have yet to post on here but when I was looking at the prompts, I felt a bit out of my element. K-Pop. I'm a 47 year old guy. I could fill a thimble with my K-Pop knowledge and experience. Confetti though... maybe there was something I could do. I wanted to write something different. So why not have the perspective of a campaign loser reflecting his campaign and loss in the remnants of his election rally. I tried to make him the best person fighting an uphill battle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.