1 comment

Science Fiction

Time travel is easy. It’s paying for it that’s hard. Most people can only dream about it. Even the wealthy have to think twice about it. It takes millions of Global Credits to time travel. The longer you want to stay in the past the more it costs. The companies that provide time travel, justify their price because the time splitters cost billions. So as of right now, only the wealthy can even entertain the thought of time travel.

A wealthy man in his old age, planned a five year trip. He lost his wife a year ago and couldn’t stand living without her. He made all the arrangements with Relive Again Agency, the most prestigious time travel company in North America. He paid the exuberant sum of millions and set his affairs in order. His estate would be managed by his faithful assistant of 32 years, Mr. Treadwell. Having set everything in order, he was ready to see his wife, and to relive the best five years they ever had.

His grown children were not as ready. They tried to reason with him, to let him know how much he would miss, how much the grandkids would grow, and that he might even miss the birth of his great grandchildren. They were sympathetic to how their father felt, but they didn’t want him to miss out on what was happening in their family. However, none of their arguments changed his mind. He set the date and he let everybody know that he was going to go.

The day came and many tearful goodbyes were said by his family and friends. Mr. Treadwell drove him to the beautiful seventeen-story building of the Relive Again Agency. He was greeted by the doorman, and when he walked into the lobby, a gentleman in a pristine black suit with a bold pink tie welcomed him.

“Mr. Montier!” The man in black reached out his hand. “I’ll be your concierge through your entire time traveling experience. My name is Wayne.” They shook hands. “Why don’t you follow me to my office. There is a little bit of legal paperwork that must be done before we begin your trip.” They walked down an empty white hall. “Right in here, Mr. Montier. Please, have a seat.” They both sat, Wayne behind his desk, and Mr. Montier in a stiff bright red chair facing the desk.

“I’m completely aware of your story.” Wayne said while pulling out a desk drawer. “I have your file right here.” He placed it on his desk. “However, I am bound by law to go over a few details before we can begin your trip.” He opened the file and took the top sheet out, placed it in front of Mr. Montier. “It is required by law that I go over the three laws of time travel with you. After I read these, if you still want to continue, all you have to do is sign on the bottom line. Are you ready?”

“More than ready,” Mr. Montier answered.

“Alright, here we go. The first law of time travel is that traveling to the future is impossible, since it doesn’t exist.  This is fairly self explanatory. It is obvious that you cannot go to a place that doesn’t exist. Wouldn’t you agree, Mr. Montier?” Mr. Montier shook his head in agreement. Wayne continued. “The second law of time travel is that it is impossible to change past events. Now I am not in any way trying to accuse you of planning to change the past. But in our experience, we have found that some people do believe that they can circumvent the second law, and change history enough to keep their loved ones from dying. However, I assure you that no one has ever been able to successfully change the past because the second law cannot be circumvented. The past is set in stone, and I’m sorry to say, will never change.”

“That is not my intention,” Mr. Montier said. “I just want to relive the happiest times I had with my wife, so I picked out the best events that I can remember, and I’m looking forward to simply enjoying them again.”

“Very good, sir, and I wish you the happiest trip possible.” Wayne said as he looked back at the legal document in his hand.

“Now to finish our legal formality: the third law of time travel is that it is impossible for someone from the past to see or interact with a time traveler. Mr. Montier, I have never time traveled myself, but those who have, tell us how eerie it is to not be seen. There have been a few who have reacted negatively and in very few cases, it drove some of our travelers mad. I am obligated to inform you of these rare cases and if in any way, this causes you to change your mind about your trip, there will be a complete refund.”

“No. I’ve done my own research on time travel, and I’m quite prepared to take the risk.” Mr. Montier said as he reached for his pen. “And now that you have read the laws to me, where did you say that I sign?”

Wayne pointed to the bottom line, gathered the papers together, and placed them in the file. “Mr. Montier, let me take you to your time splitter.” Wayne stood. “If you will follow me.”

They both walked down the sterile white hall, until they came around a corner where all the doors were gray. The third door to the right was open.

“This is your room and that is your time splitter.” Wayne motioned with his hands.

Mr. Montier walked in and saw a chrome and black reclining chair, with wires and lights everywhere. One side of the chair had two monitors. The entire chair was surrounded by diamond-like rods, three inches in diameter, spaced fifteen inches apart, that went from the floor to the ceiling. Black discs were randomly running up and down the rods.

Wayne walked over to the time splitter. “Your time splitter’s name is Breathtaking, and it is how the magic happens. This beautiful machine is how you will travel back in time.” Wayne began to press some buttons. He stared at a monitor, then pressed some more buttons. “The Breathtaking is fully equipped to sense your temperature and to adjust accordingly. She also makes sure that you have all the nutrients that you need through non-invasive skin injections. And can even give you the appropriate medicine if you fall ill. I know you went through the training course on time travel, but are there any last minute questions before we begin?”

“I can’t think of any,” Mr. Montier was eager to get started as his thoughts moved to his beautiful wife.

With that answer, Wayne had Mr. Montier sit in his time splitter, and hooked him up to all of the gadgets and sensors. Wayne then left the room and closed the door. After a few minutes, Mr. Montier heard a voice. “Testing 123, testing 123, Mr. Montier, this is Wayne, can you hear me clearly? Do you feel comfortable? Do you have any questions or concerns before we launch?” Mr. Montier answered yes, yes, and no. “Okay, we launch in ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one.”

Five years later.

Mr. Montier felt great. The Breathless had taken complete care of him, including exercising his muscles and giving him massages. Wayne looked five years older, still wearing a suit and a bold tie, just different colors. After signing more paperwork and going through the reentry process. Mr. Montier met his family in the lobby, greeted with hugs, kisses, and happy tears. He was elated on the outside, but he couldn’t shake the feeling that something wasn’t quite right.

The first few days of getting reacquainted with his family and friends were great. After a few weeks, things settled down and normal life started to take over. However, after a few months a feeling that something wasn’t quite right began to take hold.

He started staying in his room for days at a time not seeing anyone but his assistant. He didn’t tell anybody what was going on, but he missed being with his wife and desperately wanted to travel back in time again. If he was honest with himself, he really just wanted to live in the past. His depression grew worse, and he separated himself even more from his family and friends.

After a few months of this, his family intervened, and persuaded Mr. Montier to see a therapist.

“Why do I feel this way?” Mr. Montier repeated the question from the therapist. “I don’t know why I feel this way. I’m not supposed to feel this way. I was supposed to feel happy.”

“You’re right. I do feel very disconnected from my family right now.” Mr. Montier became agitated. “They just can’t understand! They don’t even try!”

I know they lost their mother, but they have their spouses to help them get through it. I have no one!” Mr. Montier shouted.

“I just want her back. If that means I must live in the past, then so be it.” Mr. Montier said resolutely.

“Yes, I am willing to listen to you, and yes, I will take your advice into consideration.” Mr. Montier stopped talking.

The therapist paused for a while. He knew he was speaking to a wealthy man who was used to getting what he wanted. He wanted his words to come across clearly and effectively. He knew this could be his last chance to save this man.

“You are stuck, Mr. Montier, stuck in the past. You can’t see how much your kids need you. You can’t see how much your grandkids want to be with you and go fishing with you and for you to be a part of their lives. Your family and friends have talked with me and they’ve given me permission to say some things that I would not normally say. They have told me how much they miss you. That you haven’t really returned from your trip. They’ve told me that you avoid spending time with them and you won’t go to the grandkids' birthday parties. On the rare occasion when you do go to a family event, you’re not really there.”

Mr. Montier was very uncomfortable and fidgeted in his seat, but he did not talk and let the therapist go on.

“Mr. Montier, I will put this bluntly. You are not really living. You stopped living when you refused to move on from the past. If you want to live again, you must let go of the past. You will always miss your wife, but don’t let that pain destroy you, instead carry her memory with you as a positive thing. Reconnect with your family and friends. Be a part of their life as much as possible. As you live more in the present, the past can enhance it. But if you live more in the past, the present will be destroyed by it.” The therapist looked at Mr. Montier, with a look that asked if he was ready to take the first step?

“I will think about what you said.” Mr. Montier stood up. “I have to admit that what you have said makes a lot of sense.” And with that, Mr. Montier left, and the therapist never saw him again.

About a year later, the therapist was reading his news app when he spotted an article with the headline: “Billionaire travels back in time again - to be with his wife.”

May 06, 2023 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
17:17 May 06, 2023

Was good advice the therapist gave. Too bad he couldn't take it.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.