The Home Searched for: Finding Belonging and Acceptance

Submitted into Contest #83 in response to: Start your story with someone emerging from the sea, and end it with them looking up at the stars.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

A young student washed up on the shores of an island in the south Pacific Ocean. As she awoke, in a daze, the events of the storm replayed in her mind. She remembered warning her friends that they needed to return shore. They ignored her warnings and they were swept out to sea. As the storm rages, they were tossed around and one by one they flew from the boat and into the water. Kelli had held on as hard as she could. She couldn’t remember when she finally met the water.

She lifted her head to look around and realized she was not alone. She was almost surrounded by people pointing spears at her. She turned the other way and realized that she had washed up on the beach of the forbidden island. She was reminded of the tales of this island and internally started to panic. Tears pooled in her eyes as she thought of her family and knew that she was about to die. Mentally she started saying goodbye to her family and friends.

A woman’s voice came from behind the warriors. Kelli couldn’t understand her words, but the spears were lifted, and the crowd parted. As the warriors stepped aside, a woman around Kelli’s age appeared. Kelli watched as the woman approached. She was obviously important, her fine clothes revealed she was either the chief or the religious leader. Kelli recognized the ceremonial style and embellishments. The woman spoke but Kelli didn’t understand. “I’m sorry” was all she could say. She was sorry she didn’t know what the woman was saying to her and that she had come to this island. The woman smiled and knelt beside the young woman. “No sorry. No harm.” She woman said in broken English. “You… you speak English?” Kelli questioned confused. “I learned little. Men came here. They hurt my people.” The woman confessed. “I am so sorry. I did not mean to come here. I know that you do not like visitors. I know…” Kelli was rambling and crying. “Shh shh shh, No worry. You, no danger. Selo sent you.”

The woman assured with a smile.

Kelli wasn’t sure why, but the look in this woman’s eyes made her feel comfortable and safe. “I am Arianiyanam.” The woman introduced. “What, Arinynam?” Kelli tried to pronounce the woman’s name. The woman smiled, “Call me Ari.” She responded. “Ari. I am Kelli.” Kelli countered. “Kelli, you stand?” Ari questioned. “I think so” Kelli responded and started to get up. As soon as she got to her feet, she collapsed clutching her side. Ari caught her and motioned for someone to pick Kelli up. A tall muscular warrior stepped forward and scooped Kelli up. Kelli was so dazed from the pain she couldn’t say how long it took them to walk from the beach to the village.  The Warrior held her tight on the way. He placed her in the hut of Ari.

Kelli lay on the mat in agony while Ari worked at a table mixing herbs and liquids into a small jug. When she finished, she made Kelli drink the potion that she had created. It wasn’t long before the pain started to subside, and Ari could examine the young woman. A piece of wood had embedded itself into Kelli’s abdomen. Ari started to remove the wood carefully. Over the next few weeks, Ari finished removing the pieces of wood and splinters while trying to stave off infection. As the healing process continued, the women talked. Kelli explained about the life she had in the city and Ari told stories about the island and her people. For short amounts of time Kelli started being able to venture out of the hut and interact with the villagers. The villagers were hesitant towards the visitor.

They had reason to fear outsiders. Every time people visited the island it was only trouble. The villagers would die, and the visitors would attempt to change the beliefs of the village. They would encourage young villagers to leave the island to be educated in the cities. When the village refused the visitors tried to kidnap the youth. The villagers became angry and captured the kidnappers. They held them captive while it was decided what to do with them. They couldn’t just kill them, the needed to discourage others from trying again. They decided to kill the visitors and the bodies were burned on the beach. The villagers made themselves look brutal enough that others would think twice about visiting the island.

Kelli tried to show that she was not there to hurt anyone. She didn’t want the island to change. She loved the smells that filled her nose, the breeze that caressed her hair and the sound that brought peace to her soul. Every morning the island would bring her out of her slumber with a smile.

Two months into her stay, Kelli accompanied Ari to the temple at the top of the mountain. Ari went into the chamber to pray. Kelli walked around and looked at the statues and symbols that covered the walls. She started to recognize the symbols from a course she took in college that her parents decided was useless. Kelli let out a little giggle and shook her head. She sat on a cushion and waited for Ari to finish her prayers. Ari came out and started to lead Kelli and the gathered villagers out. Kelli paused, turned around to face the statue in the middle of the hall, “Thank you, Myasis.” She said and rejoined the group. The villagers were surprise, she knew their goddess and respected her.

The trip to the Temple changed the way the village treated Kelli. The village children would ask Kelli to play with them and the adults would teach her skills needed in the village. Kelli impressed the clothing makers with her quick learning and beautiful works. One day, Kelly asked Ari if she could stay in the village. Ari was happy to grant her request but said that Kelli would have to ask the village. Kelli aske Ari to teach how to ask properly in the island’s language. When Kelli could speak the phrase perfectly, Ari took her to the town square and gathered the village. Kelli made her request. The village, overwhelmingly, granted the request. A celebration was held on the beach that night. In the ceremony Kelli was given a new name, Myalli, in honor of the goddess.

The celebration died down and Kelli was left on the beach alone. She sat in the sand, looking out at sea. “Sorry, Mom and Dad. I have finally found where I belong.” she said to the waves. Laying down she looked into the stars that had gained a special place in her heart.

March 05, 2021 03:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.