49 comments

Coming of Age American Kids

“You cannot hit Jeremiah Brown in the face.”

“But Pop Pop, JB is the worst boy in the entire 2nd grade!”

“Sunshine, I don’t care if he’s the worst boy in the entire state of Tennessee. You are not the kind of girl who uses her fists to talk for her. I’ve taught you better than that.”

“What am I supposed to do when JB tells everyone at recess that I smell like dog pee?”

“You do not smell like dog pee.”

“Missus Thatcher thinks so, too. She said I should soak my clothes in baking soda and warm water for an hour. I tried it once, but all we had was baking powder and that didn’t do much.”

“You tell Missus Thatcher to mind her own business. That woman has enough skeletons in her closet to fill a cemetery.” 

“Is she a witch?”

“Puh. Almost.”

“JB says our dogs pee all over the house because there ain’t no one home to clean it. That’s why he says we stink.”

“Our house is clean enough, and we do not stink. If you think we stink, then you know how to do the washing as well as I do.”

“Sometimes I forget to put the detergent in, Pop Pop. That makes the dog pee smell worse.”

“Water ain’t no good without soap. You need to remember that.”

“I can’t remember everything all the time.”

“You’re going to have to remember lots of things, Sunshine. It’s my job to teach you, but when I’m teaching you, you gotta open up both of your ears. When I’m done teaching you, you gotta close your ears so nothing leaks out.”

“My ears get tired of listening.”

“I understand because I get tired of teaching the same things to you over and over.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Oh, don’t listen to me, Sunshine. I love talking to you, and it was foolish of me to say otherwise. People say foolish things all the time, so don’t take none of it seriously. You know, if people didn’t talk nonsense, then the world would be awfully quiet. Try to talk just you have something to say.”

“I’ll try to remember that.”

“You’re going to have to remember lots of things as you grow up. You have to remember to bring your lunch and your backpack to school. Every single day.”

“I’m trying.”

“I can’t keep taking time off work every time you forget your show-and-tell project or lose your house key or punch some no account boy.”

“JB can count. He might be mean, but he’s good at math. I copy off his paper sometimes to get the right answers.”

“You just leave that boy be. I know his whole family. Nothing good has come from that family for four generations.”

“I forgot to tell you. The school is selling generations for Easter. Can we get one?”

“Do you mean geraniums or carnations?” 

“Maybe both. I can’t remember.”

“Your grandma always said that a child who always forgets has a mother who always remembers.”

“Well, I don’t have either. I don’t have a mom, and I don’t have a grandma.”

“Yes, you do. I’ve shown you their pictures…”

“Pictures don’t tell nobody nothing.”

“I told you stories about them, too.”

“Like what?”

“Like how your mother liked vanilla ice cream cones with sprinkles on top. Like how your grandmother made your pink-and-purple checkered quilt—just before you were born.”

“What other stories do you know?”

“Well, how we decided to name you Heidi after your grandmother. But did you know Heidi was her favorite book as a child? I have a copy on the bookshelf in your room. When you get older, we’ll read it together.”

“No one calls me Heidi and no one calls you Solomon. You’re Sol and I’m Sunshine.”

“That’s because the moment you were born, you screamed and hollered like a scalded cat. It was only when I sang ‘You are my sunshine, my only sunshine’ did you quiet down a little.”

“Why did I cry so much as a baby?”

“You were very sick.”

“Did I have chicken pox?

“No, Sunshine.”

“What was wrong with me then?”

“You were going through withdrawal.”

“What’s that?”

“It’s hard to explain. You see, your mother liked to take medicine that she thought made her feel better, but it ended up making her very sick.”

“How sick?”

“So sick that she had to go to a special place to live. So sick that she can never take care of you. So God gave you to me and grandma to raise.”

“Then why did grandma die before I was born?”

“I ask Him the same question every night. I don’t know. It’s a paradox.”

“A pair of ducks.”

“No, no. A paradox is a mystery. Something that doesn’t make sense until you look at it just the right way.”

“Like JB.”

“What do you mean, like JB?”

“I hit him because I like him. It don’t make any sense.”

“Oh, that makes all the sense in the world. It’s the people we love who make us the maddest. Then when they’re gone, we miss them like crazy.”

“Do you miss grandma?”

“I keep forgetting she’s gone. I talk to her like she’s sitting right next to me in the car.”

“Pop Pop, I’m sitting next to you in the car, not grandma.”

“It’s easy to make that mistake. You look just like her. You look like your mom, too.”

“Do you miss my mom?”

“I missed the little girl your mom used to be. I’ll tell you what. Let’s go over to the Dairy Queen and get some vanilla ice cream cones.”

“With sprinkles.”

“With extra sprinkles. You can tell me about JB and how you’ll never punch him or another boy again.”

“Are you still mad at me?”

“There’s no getting mad at you. You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine, and I love you. Don’t you ever forget that.”

“Oh Pop Pop, that’s the easiest thing in the world to remember.” 


February 22, 2023 15:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

49 comments

Viga Boland
13:50 Feb 26, 2023

Oh my goodness! No wonder you’ve won more than one contest and been shortlisted so many times. You’re an inspiration to the rest of us. So glad I found you. As for this marvellous piece? So touching, so real, dealing with such a common, but heartbreaking social problem. Sunshine and Pop Pop revealed so perfectly through dialogue. Ahhh…my kind of writer! Can’t wait to find the time to read some of your other stories. Following you in anticipation 😊

Reply

14:48 Feb 26, 2023

Welcome to Reedsy, Viga! The talent is chockablock here. Brilliant writers from all over the globe with wonderful tales to tell. Lots of us are on this discord channel. https://discord.gg/bxTWQw3HJR Generous souls who share the journey of writerdom (which is a word I just made up, I guess. You get the idea.) Look forward to reading your work as well :)

Reply

Viga Boland
15:38 Feb 26, 2023

Thanks Deirdra. Since you follow so many people, I’ll consider myself lucky if you find a moment to read any of my 4 stories but certainly would appreciate your feedback. I’ve been thrilled with the support and encouragement I’ve received from others so far, so fingers crossed, I’ve done the right thing in deciding to pick up the pen again after a 7-year hiatus 😂 Thanks for tip on Discord. Not familiar with it, but will check it out

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
08:31 Mar 01, 2023

Sweet, Deidra. It’s poignant and cute, and your dialogue is flawless. We learn so much about love and loss, all in the conversation between Sol and Sunshine. “The school is selling generations”… That’s so like a young child. Reminds me of when my daughter came home from school and told us, “Our class is doing a play and Joseph is the generator!”

Reply

13:10 Mar 01, 2023

Little kids are the best. I had three children in four years, and I loved picking them up from school and trying to decode what they were saying. Their observations were fairly astute, and they described things the best they could with their limited vocabulary. (I should have written down some of their similes. Hilarious....)

Reply

Cindy Strube
16:07 Mar 01, 2023

Oh, triple the fun! I only have one, but she was a zinger. Favorites (both from about age 4): “The leaves are giggling as they tumble down!” Arriving in Post Office lobby with Grandma, “This is more fun than cows jumping in the sewer!”

Reply

17:40 Mar 01, 2023

Out of the mouths of babes. I raised mine in Florida. When they first felt snow -- my three year old said, "It's HOT." They didn't have any words for cold weather :)

Reply

Cindy Strube
17:48 Mar 01, 2023

😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ela Mikh
19:18 Feb 22, 2023

Sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. Nicely done within the prompt too! Thank you

Reply

19:57 Feb 22, 2023

YAY - Thanks Ela. I fell in love with Pop Pop & Sunshine. #relationshipgoals

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.B. Writer
21:56 Nov 06, 2023

This is such a sweet story. My grandmother sings me "You Are My Sunshine" almost every time I go to her house, and it's been our song for years. I love how you made a way for us to find Sol and Sunshine's identities without the tags of she or he. Thank you for writing this, and please read mine. -Avery

Reply

14:09 Nov 24, 2023

What a wonderful comment. A dear friend of mine and I give each other suggestions on what to write. He suggested a grandfather named Solomon. I could see him in my mind. Thanks for the offer to read your story -- happy to do so. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emerie Hawke
08:18 Jun 13, 2023

This is such a sweet story! You (seemingly) effortlessly convey the emotions and personalities, as well as backrounds, of the characters. I can practically hear Sol's soft, gentle and vaguely sad voice and Sunshine's innocent speech.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
17:48 Mar 21, 2023

Hi Deidra! This was such a beautiful story. I knew a girl in sixth grade who did a project on babies born to addicted mothers and she decided to become a neonatal nurse because of that project. This story made me think of her and all of the wonderful people who do their best to care for these children. I loved the way you characterized through voice for this piece. I Could hear those beautiful accents. You did an amazing job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Oh, Deidra, this is so sweet! A difficult but all-too-real life situation, and a grandfather doing his best for his sunshine. [“I ask Him the same question every night. I don’t know. It’s a paradox.” “A pair of ducks.”] This made me laugh out loud! I love the interpretation of things by little kids. The song “You Are My Sunshine” has always made me and my little brother cry. Now, your story has done the same thing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kestrel Baker
23:01 Mar 01, 2023

This story is so touching - the dialogue feels very real and I love how strong the bond is between the Sunshine and her Grandpa.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laurel Hanson
19:21 Mar 01, 2023

A gentle lovely story that creates fully fleshed characters, a very real world situation, and a lot of love. Really nicely done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jamie Gregory
16:46 Feb 28, 2023

Ahhh I loved this so much, Deidra! This was such an endearing conversation between Sol and Sunshine. I was not expecting the twist about Sunshine’s mom and it made me love these characters and their special relationship even more. I love the way you captured Sunshine’s youthful outlook on the world including the misinterpretations of “generations” and “paradox”. I know these are fictional characters but I’m so glad she has such a loving grandpa to look after her and it definitely seems like a symbiotic relationship. One of my favorite line...

Reply

13:12 Mar 01, 2023

Thanks Jamie -- wish fulfillment on my part. My grandparents were lovely but lived on the other side of the country. I saw them on occasion, but cherish the memories of being with them. They seemed so full of love. P.S. All boys are forgetful. They just turn into forgetful old men :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Lindquist
03:09 Feb 27, 2023

Well done. That was a smooth read, and I could really see them talking.

Reply

13:13 Feb 27, 2023

That's quite a compliment :) Thanks, Mr. L.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:01 Feb 27, 2023

Lovely, lovely piece. Thank you for sharing. Really enjoy the frankness of the discussion, but also the protectiveness the grandfather has over Sunshine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nathaniel Miller
20:26 Feb 26, 2023

It's funny - as soon as I saw this prompt I thought of you and "Honestly." So I've been anticipating yet another tip top tier all-dialogue story from you, and was very much not let down. This is such a beautiful, heartbreaking story. You've really made the dialogue work for you, and it adds to the fundamental simplicity of the story wonderfully. The characters feel so well-developed and thought-out; their relatability makes this story so beautifully emotional. Another slam-dunk from the goat (pardon my random basketball lingo), best wishe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kathryn Kahn
20:22 Feb 26, 2023

What a wonderful little conversation. The two characters are absolutely clear, and the story unfolds so naturally. Good story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charlie Murphy
02:28 Feb 26, 2023

What a sweet story! Great dialogue!

Reply

14:48 Feb 26, 2023

Thanks, Mr. Murphy! :) :) :)

Reply

Charlie Murphy
17:48 Feb 26, 2023

You're welcome. Can you read mine, The Wrath of Roachzilla?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Penelope Conlon
21:50 Feb 25, 2023

WOW. I'm wiping away a tear. That was just lovely.

Reply

14:49 Feb 26, 2023

The best of compliments. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
02:22 Feb 25, 2023

Just lovely, Deidra! What a story told behind the actual words. You excel at many things, and dialogue is definitely chief among them - this was wonderful to read. I had to chuckle at two lines, though. One, Pop Pop is a saint for not putting this in the true, more-jaded way: "You know, if people didn’t talk nonsense, then the world would be awfully quiet." :D Also: “I hit him because I like him. It don’t make any sense.” My Mom still tells a story like this about my childhood - so very "little girl logic." haha Nicely done!

Reply

14:52 Feb 26, 2023

Thanks, Wendy. I had a good friend send me two names and a situation to write a story from -- that actually makes it more fun. Narrows down the infinite options. There's something magical about grandfathers and granddaughters. I saw my father coloring with my daughter once and it melted my heart.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gabriela Wels
00:45 Feb 25, 2023

This is touching and poignant. The reader gets a feel for the characters and the love and patience and longsuffering all in this one conversation. I love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michelle Oliver
10:47 Feb 24, 2023

What a beautiful story lovely and sad at the same time. “When I’m done teaching you, you gotta close your ears so nothing leaks out.” I have got to remember this line. Love it, might try it on my kids sometime. The child’s voice is so incredibly young and the grandfather is so old and world weary, but still so filled with love. I am always amazed by people who can build distinct characters from just their dialogue

Reply

18:22 Feb 24, 2023

Good luck! After teaching for too many years, I believe "selective listening" is an adolescent artform. It allows for plausible deniability -- "But you never said..." Haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:35 Feb 24, 2023

Undisputed dialogue queen. Its amazing what you can do with just dialogue.

Reply

18:21 Feb 24, 2023

*blush*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.