0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Speculative

Amelia gracefully eyed the two doors in front of her. It wasn't by accident that she ended up in this predicament, just a simple series of events that lead to this decision. You see Amelia used to be a resident at the local orphanage at the end of Baker's Street. The same orphanage that mysteriously burned down the night Miss Anna told Amelia she can not visit her litter of friends that brewed out the side of the building. 

Amelia said that her kitten companions told her they will take her to their kingdom someday. To which Miss Anna simply laughed and said 'you're not leaving this house young lady' which evidently caused Amelia to call her 'Miss Poopface' behind her back. That night Amelia openly shared her distaste in Miss Anna's authority. The chaos was real. Amelia wasn't scared, she simply watched as the brave men entered the house and saved what they could. 

That night she watched the nurses running around the white room they had carried Amelia in. They didn't pay much attention to her. Which of course wasn't something new in her life. Amelia didn't feel hurt or anything perhaps that's why the nurses chose to give more attention to the other kids. Or maybe they just liked them more. As always. 

The next morning Amelia placed her small red slippers into the rusty new home she had acquired. This orphanage was fairly bigger than the one she previously lived in. Rusty and run down. Paint chipping from the walls and the oak floorboards rising up. This house, a previous holiday home for one of the Lord's donated as a source of goodwill, felt strangely familiar to the young girl. The house mother never bothered to introduce herself. It seemed fitting to Amelia as she wasn't one to get attached and leaving names out of the equation made that so much easier. 

The house mother always seemed busy. This made it all the more better for Amelia. She considered herself superior to the other housemates she had been assigned with. While they went outside to play marbles and catch critters, Amelia explored. Amelia saw things they didn't see. For example the glitter forming in the corners of the roof. The blue shade shining in as soon as the sun positioned itself a certain way during the day. The small room beneath the den of the house mother. 

The small room was dark. Amelia always forgot her lamp. Instead of trying to figure out what can be in the room. Amelia simply spoke to the wind. Occasionally the wind would reply to her. It was very soothing to Amelia but Amelia was a curious creation. 

Today she remembered her lamp. The room wasn't as extraordinary as she expected. It was just run down as the rest of the minor. But what really made it stand out, was the two doors in the middle. 

This is where Amelia found herself. Gracefully eyeing the two doors. No one of them are the same. The door to the left was a plain dark grey colour, it had a half moon shape at the top. The only thing that made this door stand out was the terrifying creature displayed at the handle. It's eyes closed, face cramped up as if it ate something extremely sour. Two devil horns pricked out of its forehead and its tongue broadly shown from its mouth. 

The door to her right was a bright red door. It made Amelia smile because the colour of the door matched her cherry slippers. The door was shaped the same as the other one. Just red all over. The handle of the door didn't have a terrifying creature. It was just a normal door handle. Boring to the taste of Amelia. 

She considered the two doors. One is extremely frightening. The other is extremely boring. The only connection the right door had with Amelia was the colour of her shoes. The connection the left door had was her sense of adventure. She looked at the grey door again, yearning for adventure. One last look at it before she slipped open the red door going against her own wishes and satisfying her need for safety first. The other side of the door was pitch black. Amelia looked at the abyss in front of her questioning if she had made the right decision. 

With a deep sigh she closed her eyes and took a step into the darkness in front of her. When she opened her eyes it immediately widened. In front of her stood a small gravel road in a snowy crystallized forest. That wasn't what shook Amelia. What shook her was the companions she previously had become friends with outside her previous home standing in front of her. A little more grown than when she previously met them. 

The black one stepped forward. His head leaning down to the ground as if bowing. 

"Good Day Miss Amelia. It is a pleasure to see you again." he eloquently spoke. 

"What are you guys doing here?" she asked, surprised. 

"My dear we did promise you to take you to our kingdom did we not?" 

"Yes.. But I didn't expect to see you again." 

"What did I tell you last time Miss Amela. This world is a magical world. Now please follow us." He turned as the other cats started to descend on the gravel road. Amelia hesitantly stepped forward. 

"Wait!" she called. The black cat turned his head back to face her. 

"Hmm?" he sounded. 

"What would have happened if I took the other door?" the black cat smirked. 

"My dear do not dwell on what if. Just be happy you made this decision." he turned back matching forward. Amelia following their trail. 

The house mother later spoke to the police about the missing girl. She had no explanations or any motives. She did not really know the girl. Months had passed since Amelia took her step into the door. The orphanage went quiet. The wind no longer spoke. The wind only mourned.

May 25, 2021 09:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.