The Discount

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Set your story in a magical bookshop.... view prompt

4 comments

Fantasy

Avalon's breath blurred the glass door with dark purple trim as she turned the sign from "closed" to "open". She smoothed her favorite sage green dress after turning toward her cat.

"This is it, Daryl, our moment of truth! It's our time to shine...to rise to the top...to glow!" Avalon's arms spread open as though welcoming every talking, cartooned forest animal into her warm embrace. "Daryl! Daryl? I thought you would help me greet our first customers, after all, you're essentially my partner in this venture! I see your tail behind the third bookshelf on the left. I'm not going to allow your disinterest to ruin our day, Daryl. I'll breathe it in for the both of us!" Avalon jumped slightly as Daryl bellowed a long "Meow!" while flicking his tail into a row of books placed perfectly straight on low shelves.

Fifteen minutes later, the first customer walked in with a sharp ding of the bell attached to the door. Avalon greeted the woman cheerfully, "Blessed morning, ma'am! Welcome to Enchanted Book Nook! How may I help you today?"

"God's blessings to you too, dear! I'm looking for a nice book for my granddaughter's birthday. Can you please point me to your religion section?" the lady replied with a tilted smile.

"Of course, let me show you, I have an entire aisle," Avalon spread her arms to mimic the length of the requested section.

"Oh dear, that's wonderful! Oh...um, miss...there are those kinds of books here too," the lady shrunk back from the shelves while pursing her lips and furrowing her brows, as though something distasteful had entered her mouth.

"Excuse me, I don't understand what's wrong," Avalon questioned.

"Young lady, what would your pastor say about these books teaching people about witchcraft and magic and, well, devil things?!" The lady spoke softly while backing herself into a corner.

"My pastor would probably ask where I've been for the past twenty years, except he's dead now, so I'd have to use a summoning spell. Now, I've learned they never quite come back the same, but if you really want to know what he'd say..." Avalon answered, smiling brightly.

"Young lady! I came here to purchase a wholesome book for my granddaughter, and you talk about bringing your pastor back from the dead? I'm leaving, and I'm letting my entire congregation know just what kind of person owns this...this sanctuary of the damned!"

"Ma'am, I'd like to point out that just about every bookstore I've been to has sections for those wanting to explore something new. You can also pick up a book to learn to knit, play tennis or cook fifty types of brownies here too. It's not for me to judge the people who want to improve their bowling or SAT scores, or anything else for that matter," Avalon didn't blink as she explained her point.

"You're attracting the wrong kind of people. Most others, such as myself, will stay away and tell our friends," the lady spoke rapidly.

"May I point out how my store attracted you enough to be my first customer? Now, would you like a cup of tea? I have some wonderful blends. I'd also like to offer you 50% off a book for your granddaughter, or yourself, if you wish," Avalon motioned for the lady to come out of the corner.

"50% off any book? I suppose a hot cup of tea would be nice while I look, but I won't even make eye contact with those evil things," the lady's tone softened.

...

Twenty-five minutes later, the lady presented her chosen book and empty teacup to Avalon. "Thank you for the refreshment and discount. I found a lovely gift, which normally would have been out of my price range."

"I'm happy to help when I'm able," Avalon winked at the lady. Before wrapping tissue paper around the book, Avalon slowly ran her long fingernails across the jacket cover. She hid her smile slightly while admiring the black forest of trees and steaming cauldron in the center. "What a wonderful choice! Be sure to tell your friends. Who knows, there may be tea and a discount for them as well! Just have them mention your name, Helen."

"Of course, thank you! Wait, when did I tell you my name?" Helen backed away slightly.

"You didn't tell me, Helen, you told my cat, Daryl," Avalon replied while laughing.

"You are a funny lady, a bit strange, but I believe I'll be back," Helen paid and left with her purchase.

"Well, Daryl, it's been a slow start to our morning, but very productive so far," Avalon sighed happily.

...

"Welcome to Enchanted Book Nook! How may I help...well, hello Helen! Did your granddaughter enjoy her gift?" Avalon noticed the beaming smile radiating from Helen's face.

"I have to admit, I kept it for myself. What a lovely, uplifting read. I was so inspired, I have a proposal for you!" Helen spoke quickly as though she couldn't wait to say her idea out loud, "Would you be willing to present this lovely book to my congregation? We could serve that delicious tea as they enter the sanctuary during our Bible study before church service. I would, of course, use funds available for speakers to compensate your expenses."

"I would be happy to visit with your people, and I couldn't accept a penny. I'll even bring other beverage choices for those who may not enjoy tea. I consider this community outreach," Avalon stretched out her hand to make Helen's request official while Daryl brushed happily against Avalon's leg, as plans were made for the following Sunday.

...

"Our agenda for Helen went swimmingly!" Avalon stated to Daryl.

"Ugh, don't mention swimming, or anything related to water. In my current state, I'd likely drown," Daryl sneezed as a sign of disgust.

"Should I close the store now? My feathers ache terribly," Avalon scratched her arms deeply.

"We've worked too hard on controlling yourself, Avalon, for you to act like a fool. But since you did well with Helen, you may lock the door and go to your cage. I've already added fresh seeds and water. You may even find a new toy to peck at tonight," Daryl said with a gleam in his eye.

"You're too good to me, sir," a contented Avalon chirped as she locked the front door and entered her cage.

December 15, 2022 21:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

07:25 Dec 26, 2022

You got to love that cat! and bird! Great ending to a very appealing story...a bit of magic in there which I loved!

Reply

Angie Brocker
21:38 Dec 27, 2022

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback, and I love a bit of magic as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:22 Dec 18, 2022

That ending tho! I was not expecting it!! I really like this story!

Reply

Angie Brocker
21:56 Dec 18, 2022

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.