0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

That morning, high above the skies over planet tellus, Egyptian God Ra and his female counterpart Sera were going on a sky route. Sera said “I like planet tellus which is just like earth. Let us land here for a while.”

Ra agreed and said “Okay. That is island Q, full of bandits and pirates. But it is prosperous with  gambling dens and bars flourishing.”

They came down to the top of a tree.

Underneath that tree, stood fisherman Fez who worked for a big fishmonger on island Q. Fez was only 16 and was quite handsome. He had been given a week off with a bonus by his boss for he had recently brought in an exceedingly large catch. That morning Fez had got up early and going towards the coast was standing under the tree wondering what to do when he saw a fairly large cat, white and grey, sitting near him. It was looking up watching a flock of birds which were nested on the tree. Fez thought “May be the cat will bring me good luck. Let me go after it.”

Sera said to Ra “I’ll activate that cat and watch.”

When Fez went near it, it didn’t run away and standing on all fours wagged its tail. “It is friendly.  I’ll name him Zero.” He patted it.

The cat started moving and Fez followed. It was sunny and bright and Zero led Fez through a trodden path. He saw fishermen going to work with nets on their shoulders.

Sera said “I wonder where that fellow is going. Let us follow him and watch.”

Fez saw a man he knew and paused to talk. The man said “Fez, my boss pirate Album has fired me.”

As Zero stood by Fez said “Why did he fire you? You were close to him.”

“Don’t tell anyone. Album and I went to sea a month ago and we swooped on a boat carrying merchants dealing in gold. He plundered the boat and brought the seized ware home. In it was something very valuable. He wouldn’t tell me what it was. He said he had become rich and wasn’t going to sea any more, and didn’t need my service. His wife told me he had got the Maze diamond.”

Fez recalled that the large diamond had been looted and a substantial reward had been announced to whoever found it.

Fez said “Will Album keep the diamond in his house? We know this island is full of bandits. Someone could swoop down on his home and take the diamond away.”

“True. But I know he uses his wife to secret his valuables. She could’ve hidden it to somewhere. Who knows she may perhaps not return the diamond to him. I know she doesn’t like him. In fact no one likes him.”

Fez thought a little and said “My boss told me that the town of Kone has become a mining centre and jobs are to be found there. Go there and try.”

“Good idea. Thank you. I’ll try my luck.”

Zero was waiting and allowing it to proceed Fez followed. They went some distance when Zero paused near a house in a lonely area near the sea. Zero saw a limping bird and tried to swoop on it, but it escaped through a hole in a fence of wooden boards into the compound. Zero looked disappointed. Fez heard voices from behind the fence and listened. A woman’s voice came “Gypsy massage my back first. Yes. That’s right.”

The woman’s voice continued “My husband Album has just bought this house for me. We’re rich. Now apply oil.”

As Fez watched, Zero jumped up the fence looking for the bird. The jump brought down a loose narrow plank in the fence and Fez saw Album’s wife standing totally nude facing him as Gypsy was rubbing oil on her body. The wife shouted.

Goddess Sera who was watching said “Ra, what a great body that woman has!”

Ra said “Okay. There is no point trailing that fellow Fez. Let us go our way.”

“We’re not in any hurry. Let us see what happens. I’ll give the cat a little twist when needed.”

Fez fled before Album came out. He knew Album could even instantly kill someone whom he didn’t like.

 Zero went along and Fez saw he was outside a gambling den. There were three men playing.

Fez was about to proceed when Ra said “Sera let this fellow get some money. Stop the cat.”

The cat turned into the gambling den and Fez followed. Fez felt like gambling and when his chance came he bet the bonus his boss had given him. The dice fell in his favor and he won thrice. Carrying the money bag he again set off after Zero. Unknown to him one of the three gamblers tried to strike him down with a sword but Zero jumped and the blow went wrong. The attacker fled.

Ra said “Sera, but for you the fellow would’ve been killed. What next?”

“Let us follow this fellow into that hospice.”

Fez followed Zero into the hospice.  He said to the man in charge “I’ve to stay here. Give me a room. Also give me a good hot meal now and something for the cat too.”

The room was given and the lunch was served. Fez enjoyed the hot meal watching Zero eat. He rested a while and in the evening led by Zero entered the bar in the neighborhood. The owner, a woman, announced that her daughter Tab would sing and dance. Tab was a very good looking girl and Fez joined her.

As they danced she asked “Do you have money?” 

“I’ve plenty. I gambled and won.”

“I like you and am willing to go away with you.”

“For a start, come with me to the hospice nearby.”

“Sure I will.”

Sera said “I don’t want to see what will happen in the hospice.”

“May be you could admire his love making technique.”

“I said no! Don’t be coarse.”

Ra said “We must reward Fez tomorrow morning.”

“Leave it to me.”

The next morning Fez and Zero walked out of the hospice. As they walked along homeward, Zero who went sniffing saw a squirrel coming out of a hole under a tree and tried to grab it. It disappeared inside but came out soon and Zero made a feast of it. While leaving the hole, the squirrel had thrown a small cloth package and opening it Fez saw a large diamond. He assumed it was the Maze and that Album’s wife had probably buried it there. Reaching home with his new wife he announced he had found the Maze. He was given the big reward.

Ra said “Sera can we now leave?”

“Yes. That cat obeyed my prompts. See, Fez is petting it? Let us go.”

END

February 26, 2023 09:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.