0 comments

Drama

I just moved to New York, New York. I got a great job as a lawyer for A&A Law Firm. So, everyday I wake up, get coffee, and go to work. People surround me since the city is always crowded. People walking with friends, taking cabs with friends, eating out with their significant other. At work, the people around me chat about their everyday lives, but no one talks to me. I sit at my cubicle and do paperwork. I haven’t had a case for a couple months now. I take a sip of my coffee, reading through paperwork. “Hey! It’s great to see you!” someone calls. I look up and see someone coming my way with a huge smile. I give her a small smile, about to say hi back, when she passes right by me and talks to another person. My smile fades and I go back to doing my work.

After work, I go out to a restaurant. I sit at a table by myself, people everywhere around me. Glancing around, I see friends laughing and couples kissing. With a sigh, I eat my food in silence. After paying the bill, I take a long, quiet walk home. Once at home, I just go to bed with another sigh. My roommates do not ask me what’s wrong. They don’t even come to check on me. But, I do hear their loud music in the living room. They were having another huge party, which I guess I am not invited to. I take out my phone and check my messages. Of course, I did not have any. So, I checked my missed calls and voicemails. Still nothing. A knock comes at the door. I just look at it. “Belle, can I come in?” one of my roommates asks. I don’t say anything. “Well, we’re having a party and I was wondering if you’d like to join us.” she says. I still do not respond. With a sigh, she walks away from my door. My eyes go to the ceiling. Then, my phone rings. I pick it up, hoping it is someone special. Instead, it is the phone company. “Hello?” I answer. “Hello, is this Belle Longoria?” a woman asks. “Yes, this is her.” I reply. “I am sorry to say this, but you have missed three payments already. We will have to take you off of our service.” she says. I sigh once more. “It’s fine. I understand.” I say and hang up. I change into my pajamas and go to sleep.

The next day, it is the same routine. I get coffee and go to work. I still don’t get a case, so I sit at my desk once again. Chatter buzzes around me, but never directed at me. I gather all of my paperwork and am about to take it to my boss when my boss’ boss calls me to his office. I bring my paper work with me to his office. “You called for me, sir?” I ask. Mr. Galileo nods. “Yes, I did. Please, have a seat.” he replies. I sit on the chair across from him. “Is something wrong, sir?” I ask. Mr. Galileo nods again. “Belle, my firm is the best law firm in America. Did you know that?” he asks. I frown. “Yes, I did. Why-” Mr. Galileo continues. “We have high expectations for our lawyers. Which includes you.” he says. My frown deepens. “Of course, Mr. Galileo. But-” Once again, he interrupts. “Belle, I have been informed that you haven’t been hired for any cases recently. Is that correct?” Mr. Galileo asks. I nod. “It is, sir.” I reply. Mr. Galileo makes a steeple with his fingers. “You see, the company’s money comes from the lawyers getting cases. If you are not getting cases, it’s almost like you’re getting paid for not working. Do you understand?” he asks. I look at my lap. “I understand.” I reply. Mr. Galileo stands. “I’m sorry, Belle. But, I have to fire you. We need as many lawyers in action as possible. You’re a liability. So, please pack your things from your cubicle and go.” he says. I stand up too and go to my cubicle. No one pays attention to me as I clear my stuff out.

When I walk out the door, I feel almost empty. I go to a diner for breakfast since I have the time now. Again, I sit alone. I order myself pancakes and bacon. People pass my table and I catch a piece of their conversation. “Just look at her. It’s so sad.” one of them says. “I know. I’d never thought I’d see a loner here.” another says. “Yeah. Let’s go before it rubs off on us.” the last says. I ignore them somewhat and focus on my pancakes. When I finish eating, I go back to my apartment. My roommates are still there because they don’t have jobs. They ignore me as they watch tv on the couch. I go to my room and check my messages, missed calls, and voicemails. But, there was nothing to check because, as I remember, my phone was cut off.. I go to my mirror and look at myself. “I lost my job. My phone got cut off. I live with people that ignore me. Why am I here again?” I ask myself. So, I pack my things and leave. I don’t say anything to my roommates and they don’t say anything to me. I get on a plane without saying goodbye to anyone. I just leave. Sitting on the plane, I stare out the window. Two people sat next to me. But, like always, they didn’t say a word to me. I lost everything. My job, my phone service. I have nothing left for me in New York, but did I ever really have anything to begin with? I watch as the plane takes flight, taking me away from New York, never to return the crowded, but lonely city.

September 17, 2020 22:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.