0 comments

General

I should’ve known better than to befriend Death. When I saw the cloaked figure, I should’ve just let it take me. That would’ve been the sensible thing to do. But no, being the reckless person I am, I decided not to cower in fear.

I chose to be “brave”. And that’s how this whole mess started.

I was in a hospital bed, where the bright lights had seemingly declared war on my innocent eyes, an irritating beep vibrating through the otherwise silent room. Splotchy memories floated to the surface of my shattered consciousness, piercing through the facade of serenity. A blaring honk. A collision. Excruciating agony. A tornado of thoughts and then-emptiness. Drifting through a sea of air, knowing I had things to do, yet I couldn’t quite grasp what they were-and besides, I knew I couldn’t muster the energy to do it if I tried. A weight pressed against my eyelids, and there I was again, sailing through the oceans of my own mind.

I was weightless, a soothing tingle swirling through every part of my body. I was holding onto the edge of a cliff, my feet dangling over a yawning black hole. It’s okay, a breeze murmured, whispering comforts through my mind. You’re safe here. Just let go. 

Let go.

Let go.

Let-no. 

Hold on, a tiny yet defiant shard of me spoke. This is wrong. Hold on. 

The choir of voices begging me to let go lingered on, nearly overpowering me, but I stayed. I held on. The sirens lulls became less calming, suddenly shedding a hostile aura, the song becoming a threatening chant. Let go. LET GO. 

With every word, the rocks became just a bit sharper until it felt as if I were holding onto a bed of knives. My fingers cramped, but I never let go. The voices urging me to leave, to give up, fueled a blazing fire I didn’t know was there, and, almost without my permission, my body was clawing its way up the mountain. Muscles burning, I hauled my arms over the ledge, pulling my head up, then my legs. 

I stood on wobbly legs to face a hooded figure with wings sprouting out of its back. I could tell it was Death as soon as I saw it. It wore fear and despair as a cloak. All that was visible through the inky shadows hanging over its face was a pair of bloodred eyes. 

I willed my body to stop shaking as Death swept close to me, pulling my face in its frigid hands, analyzing every inch of my expression. Its eyes narrowed before releasing me. “Why did you come here?” Death growled. “What is so urgent that you must return home for?” 

“Molly.” The name escaped my lips in an instant. I steadied my breaths as I continued, “Her name is Molly.”

Death blinked out of existence for a split second, and then its eyes softened. “You’d confront me just to go back to her? You love her that much?” 

I nodded without a hint of hesitation. “Why do you think I’m here?” 

Death laughed-a strangely hopeful sound. The scenery changed and we were at my cramped apartment. Molly was pacing, worry hiding in her eyes. “This is Molly?” Death asked. “She looks like my dog, Cereberus. Well, except for the three-headed bit.” 

“I take it you’re a dog person?” 

Again, Death laughed. “Can I pet her?” 

Before I could answer, Molly jumped up, wagging her tail at her visitor. She leapt onto Death, licking its face. As Molly pounced, its hood fell off-no, not its hood. Her hood. Her skin was deathly pale, as if she’d never seen a ray of sunlight. Thick waves of navy blue hair tumbled to her pointed chin, neglected bangs brushing fiery eyes.   

Just as I was about to blurt out something incredibly stupid, Death noticed me staring and quickly pulled the cloak back over her head. She cleared her throat, acting about as awkward as I feel on a daily basis. 

Eager to fill the uncomfortable void growing bigger with every passing second, I choked out, “I… like your hair. Is it naturally shiny, or do you use a magical shampoo thing?” 

Death shook her head, her big red eyes blinking through the shadows. “I honestly don’t think I can take you.”

“So… I’m not dead?”

“Your insufficient brain capacity shows you are an improper fit for the Underworld. Once you have gained wisdom, I shall come to collect you.” 

And with that insult, Death winked out of sight and I was in the hospital room again.  


Ever since the accident, people had treated me differently. Like I was a fragile porcelain doll that would shatter to pieces with the slightest glance. Like I wasn’t really here, and if they got too close, I’d disappear. 

I’d thought it would have the opposite effect, that they’d think I was tough. Every time someone asked me if I was feeling okay, or if I wanted to be walked across the street, I wanted to scream, “I survived death! How hard could walking across a strip of cement be?” 

But I always just shrugged off their offer with a simple, “No thanks.” 

That is, until Death came to visit. 

I would’ve paid to have someone look at me the same way again. 

I was procrastinating at my desk as usual when the sense that I was being watched flooded over me. I turned, but there was only unusual silence behind me. Shaking my head, I shifted my focus on my work. “What the-” I shrieked at the figure sitting in the chair beside me. Innocent emerald eyes hidden under thick eyelashes gawked at me. Freckles dotted her flushed cheeks. Tangles of dusty brown hair fell just above her waist. “Recognize me?” She whispered. How could I not, when she looked exactly like me? Her chapped lips parted in a grin, showing a set of crooked teeth.

She blinked, and suddenly I was staring into Death’s wide eyes. 

“Is my hair really that long?” I stuttered, my voice still trembling. 

“What, you don’t like it that long? I think it looks great. In fact…” Death trailed off, before making her own hair as long as mine. 

“First of all: That’s not fair. You’re an all-powerful spirit thingy, so of course, you’ll make that hairstyle look good. Second, my hair’s completely tangled that it’s impossible to brush, so-” 

“Not anymore.” 

Gasping, I rushed to a mirror to see my hair in an intricate braid that seemed like it’d take months to make. With an overjoyed squeal, I wrapped my arms around Death. If she wasn’t… well, Death, I probably would’ve strangled her in that hug. 


Death was a surprisingly good listener. I told her about how everyone treated me like a wimp, she cheered me up with tales from the Underworld. We arranged for Cereberus and Molly to meet. When I complained about the length of my hair, a mischievous glint surfaced in Death’s eye. 

“What’s up?” I asked, suspicion filtering my voice. 

Death’s cheeks splotched pink as she explained, “The real reason I came is that it’s your deathday. This is the day you’re destined to die, and it’s a pretty big deal in the Underworld. So I came to see what I could give you as a gift, and I think I’ve got it.” 

“Well… thanks!” I said as Death asked me to turn around. I wasn’t sure whether I should be touched that Death was getting me a gift, or disturbed that it was for the day I would die. 

“And… there!” Death exclaimed, joy evident in her tone. I felt the burden of my hair intensify, the drastic change in weight making specks of black dance before my eyes. 

Death was practically jumping up and down in glee. Her childlike spirit made me eager to see how Death had styled my hair. As she put her beyond freezing hands over my eyes, leading me to a mirror, my excitement bubbled up with every step. 

“You can open your eyes in three,” Death squealed. “Two… One… Surprise!” 

I turned to the mirror, my jaw dropping in shock. In place of my hair was a nest of glowing green snakes. No. No, this can’t be happening. I mentally screeched. Is this all a trick? To torture me? Is this the real Underworld?  But as I stared into Death’s somehow innocent, deer-like eyes, all I saw was someone who thought they’d given their friend the best deathday present ever. I just couldn’t tell her that I didn’t want to be the next Medusa. I reached up to brush what had replaced my hair, and my fingertips were met with squirming scales. 

“Thanks!” I said, trying my best to keep the grimace out of my voice. 

“Isn’t it perfect?” Death cheered. “You wanted people to think you’re tough and you wanted shorter hair, so boom! Nobody will think you’re fragile anymore. No one will dare treat you like a baby.”

“Can I… um, turn people to stone?”  

Death’s mouth twisted into a malicious grin that sent shivers down my back. “Of course. But you can control this power.” 

The evil in her eyes made me want to run and never come back, but soon the storm cleared and Death had a smile bigger than a crescent moon plastered on her face. “Well? Do you like it?” 

“Yeah…” I choked out. “I love it! But… could you maybe change the colour to something a bit more… subtle? Like black?” 

Death’s joy faltered for a brief moment before she nodded overenthusiastically. “Yeah… Of course. I have to go back to the Underworld now, but Happy Deathday!” And in a puff of confetti, she was gone.

The snakes now looked like braided clumps rather than a deadly-yet-trendy new style. I stared at myself in the mirror, willing myself not to get mad at Death. She means well. I’m sure of it. Molly shook me out of my thoughts by yipping at my legs. Clearing my head, I went to get Molly a treat with a sigh. 


It was weeks before the sun convinced me to leave the house. I put on a flowery sundress, stuffing the snakes under an itchy blonde wig that I’d choppily chopped. I shoved a floppy hat on top for good measure. Grabbing Molly’s leash, I left for the outside world. 

“Alex?” A voice asked.  

“Yeah?” I spun around to see my childhood best friend, Bella, carrying a baby.

“Hi, Bella!” I exclaimed. “Is she your daughter?” 

“Yes, this is Eva! Eva, say hi to Alex!” 

Eva gurgled in response. 

“Nice hat. Don’t think I’ve ever seen you willingly wear one of those.” Bella said through a mouthful of giggles. 

“That’s because I never have and I never will. I got a bad haircut.” 

“Ooh,” she winced. “Mind if I take a look?” 

I took off my hat, giving her a glance at the wig I’d pretty much destroyed. 

Bella came closer, inspecting the haircut. Eva giggled, then began tugging at my hair. 

“No! Don’t!” I screamed, but it was too late. Chaos had erupted. The wig floated to the ground, tumbling into a mud puddle. I felt the snakes begin to rise, hissing at Eva who was still yanking at them. One of them opened its fanged mouth and bit. The baby howled in pain. Bella started rocking the shrieking baby, then stared at me. “What the-”

“It’s a costume!” I blurted. “Yeah, a costume. For Halloween.”

“Halloween’s not for five months. Your ‘hair’, or whatever that mess is, bit my daughter. Care to explain?” 

“I…” I stuttered out the stupidest thing that came to mind-the truth. “Death gave it to me.” 

Bella laughed, bitterness tainting her usually melodious tone. “Fine.” Bella was too nice to say what she was thinking, but I knew what was going through her head when she looked away from me. 

Monster.

Who are you? What have you done?

Get away from me. 

You freak. 

“I’m sorry,” I muttered, my eyes stinging. “I’ll go.” 

I stared at the ground, emotions swirling through me. I caught Molly’s eye, and just seeing someone who wouldn’t look away calmed me. I wanted to burst into tears, to hug the only creature who had stayed by my side. Who I knew would never leave me.

A burst of anger flushed my cheeks red. Why was everyone gawking at me? Yes, I have snakes for hair. You’ve seen it, now look away! I internally screamed. My anger bubbled up by the second, suppressed feelings chipping away at my sniffling exterior until I exploded. 

I grabbed my head and shouted, “Just stop!”   

I looked at Molly, to seek comfort in my furry companion. 

She wasn’t furry anymore. 

She was stone. 

“No,” I whispered, gazing into her vacant eyes. “No. No. No.” 

Whimpering, I glared at everyone, tears dripping down my cheeks. Then I picked up Molly and left.


Death stared at her kingdom. Ghosts mingled in outside, but her castle? It was vast, desolate. Practically abandoned. Death never felt… lonely-well, at least not until she met Alex. 

With her long hair and her bright spirit, Alex had the power to make Death miss what she never had. 

Death hung her head, shame threatening to bring her to the ground. “What have I done?” She muttered. 

It was a trick. It was all a trick. Death had wanted a friend so badly, she’d done something terrible. Something she couldn’t undo. 

She had to get rid of Alex’s hair before she hurt someone. 

Death rushed to her mirror, which allowed her to see any soul she desired. Fixating on Alex, she cried out in guilt. 

Two were hurt already.

Molly.

And Alex. 

The mirror blinked red, as it did whenever she had a soul to collect. Death stifled the urge to scream as she went to bring Alex to the Underworld. 

 




March 20, 2020 22:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.