0 comments

General

"Where did I keep it?"

I was searching through each shelf in my room, to find the instrument that I got as a gift for my birthday, which was few months back.

"Mom did you see my keyboard?"

I shouted and slowly got down from the chair and moved it to the next area for inspection.

The door of my bedroom suddenly opened and I looked at my mom, who was keeping her hands on her waist, and giving me a death glare.

"Then what's this?" She points out to my keyboard and stared the hell out of me.

I sighed, and wished I never asked for her help.

"Mom, that's my computer keyboard. I am looking for the instrument, which Sam gave it on my birthday."

Her face softened by hearing my explanation and sheepishly laughed at her own self.

"Oh that's called keyboard? I thought Piano?"

I was slightly getting head ache from her conversation and rubbed my temples, mentally slapping myself for calling her.

"I kept in in the kitchen shelf I guess. Check there." I immediately

moved to the kitchen, with my chair and started to look.

"Ahh there it is."

I exclaimed when I found what I was searching for. I dusted the cover and got down from the chair.

"Oh you found it. Do you need that cover?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at her confusedly.

"Why do you ask mom?"

"Do I have to say my reason?"

I rolled my eyes back by the silly argument. I took the keyboard out and gave her the cover. She snatched it away from me, and walked out of the room.

"What the hell just happened?"

I asked myself and shook my head to remove the thoughts. I moved to my bed, and connected the plug and placed the keyboard on my pillow.

"Alright, now let's see."

I looked thoroughly at my keyboard and blew some dust on the chords.

"Do they call it chords or keys?"

"Damn I need to learn more things." I grabbed my phone, and typed keyboard learning for beginners and several videos flashed on my screen.

"What should I click?" I looked at videos, and decided to go with the first one, and suddenly I got a call.

"Hey Sally,"

My best friend Sally, who lives just next to my house, but calls me everyday, because we are stuck inside.

"Dude, what's up?"

"You are the one who called me buddy."

"Haaah right. I was getting bored. My mother doesn't allow me to touch anything after I broke her favorite vase."

I could hear him sighing, but I controlled my laughter.

"Bad day huh?"

"No comments. How come you are putting up with your mother? Isn't all mothers are the same?"

I thought about the events which happened a few minutes ago.

"Nah, I will just be in my boundary."

I suddenly had an idea and couldn't hold my smirk.

"Hey wanna hear something?"

"Sure dude, what's it?"

"Just listen carefully."

I said and switched on the keyboard plug. I breathed in heavily and placed my delicate fingers on the chord or notes whatever they call. And pressed a white button on the keyboard. Sally was listening carefully on the other line.

I closed my eyes, and started to move my fingers whichever direction I wanted. And I continued to press keys whichever reached my fingers. And after some minutes I stopped for her comment.

"So?"

"Wow that was the most unpleasant sound I have ever heard." She started to laugh at the other end. Her funny laughter made me wanted to laugh and I did.

"Shut up." I said in between our funny laughing and after few seconds we came to control.

"Who the hell gave you that?"

"Sam. I thought I could learn something new during this quarantine."

"Hmm. Hey I have got an idea."

"What?" I asked curiously.

"Why don't you go to balcony and play it to the whole street. They could have some fun too, besides you can earn money." She teased me and started to laugh.

"Go to hell." I yelled and hung up the call.

"Am I that bad?" I asked myself by looking at the keyboard.

"You are the worst." My mother yelled from the living room. I shook my head, and got down to close my bedroom door.

I plugged my earphones, and started to see several videos about learning the keyboard keys.

"C major, D major. So basically from A to G." I mumbled myself and played the notes one by one learning the basic chords.

I didn't know how long was I doing, I heard my mother shouting from the other side of the door. I sighed and opened the bedroom door, to see my mother was standing there with two cups of tea in her hand.

"Ahhh, how is my musician doing?"

"Come in."

I walked inside and sat on my bed, and her beside me. She placed the two cups on the table, and I took one cup.

"I didn't hear any sound of you playing this anymore."

I shook my head and sighed heavily. I have been trying to learn this thing for hours, but still I was getting confused with a simple ABCDEFG chords.

"I think it's not my cup of tea." I shook my head and sipped the drink.

"Of course it is not."

I looked at her in disbelief. Doesn't all mothers should support their children when they feel down.

"That was my cup of tea. The one on the table is your tea. Now give me my cup." She reached her hands before me while giving her puppy eyes.

I chuckled at her reply. She really knows to lift my mood. I nodded and grabbed my cup from the table. We drank in silence, it was not awkward but a pleasant one.

"Now show me what you learnt." She sat on my bed by folding her legs, and waited for me to proceed.

"A-Are you serious?"

"Why not? Now play it, maybe you can teach me something too." She played some notes on the keyboard, which made funny sounds making us both laugh.

"Mom, that's not how you play. You see this black and white chords?"

"Yeah, they look like chessboard coins."

I chuckled and nodded at her comment.

"Yes, but there are names for it. Like how we call pawn, king, queen in chess, here we call them with ABCDEFG."

I saw her eyes glistening when I spoke, and I was happy that someone was listening to me. I taught her everything whatever I learned through videos and we both started to learn "Twinkle twinkle little star" notes.

Maybe, maybe this quarantine is not bad. I got to learn something, and teach someone who spent most of her time in the kitchen, taking care of me.

I smiled at my mother who was beautifully playing the song wrongly, but her smile, her enjoyment while pressing the keys makes me to forget about the silly mistakes she made while learning.

Besides learning, I was glad that we both were spending time together.

April 18, 2020 07:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.