4 comments

General

The day I learned something new was anything but happy. I was both astonished and aghast and the memory will forever haunt me. Father always told me that when a bell rings, a solider is created and blood is unleashed.


People always tell me about the possibilities. About the good that can come from becoming me, my destiny. But I can't help but feel that all is in vain. How could I possibly be happy when I'm always in pain?


I'd do anything to take back the day, that horrific ghastly night. The moment I lost all I had, my shining knight. The day I lost my family the one I hold so dear. The day I lost my mother, Father didn't shed a tear.


I wailed, I cried, I wretched in agony. All for nothing, I wish he would've told me. That to be an angel a sacrifice must be made. That to be one of the heavenly, souls must be repaid.


I never understood why my mother always wept. Why she was so weak and always seemed unrest. I never knew the story of why I was so strong. Of why I was the fastest and tallest, all along. Mother seemed to grow weaker and weaker as the days went by. I can't help but curse my father, the one who roams the sky.


"How dare you! You stole what wasn't yours! Why Father? Why did you kill my mother? Her life is more than money, her soul is more than honey. Why? WHY?!! How could you do this!! To you're own Wife? The person who helped you create such a life!"


Now I know the truth, I know the rest of the story. I'm not a monster and neither is my father. He just fulfilled the wish my mother granted. All she wanted was hope and love from someone who could give. All she ever wanted was a child held abreast. But she was infertile and unfit to bear a child. She was too weak and frail. She never stood a chance. But I was blinded by my love for her to even take a glance.


"Mother? Are you awake," I whispered one last time. "Mother, can you hear me? Or are my words as worthless as my father's spine?" She never answered that cold wretched night. The night that never ended, there is no more daylight.


You see, my father is the Moon, and my mother is the Sun. They try to keep the world together as one. My mother is a star so high in the heavens. But it didn't matter the glory and light she bestowed. No matter how much she glowed, she could never give life. She cared and nurtured day and night. Giving life and hope to all who feel her rays. She helped to cultivate the land and create the hay.


My father was only the moon, a small insignificant being. But as the elders would always say, "I can't help falling in love, with you." She fell for my father. She fell so much that she lost her grace and her wings and her glory. She lost something that she could never again obtain. She became human, just to be with my father. A sacrifice so beautiful and utterly naive. How could the Sun, the thing that provides life for all, leave her duties for something as meaningless as love?


I don't know. Maybe I'll never know. All I know is now my mother, the fallen angel, is dead. And my father is a lone wolf once again. And now I am left to clean up the mess that my parents have created. This is my destiny. Now I truly understand what my father meant when he spoke of an angel getting his wings.


When a bell rings, an angel gets its wings. And when the Moon and the Sun unite, it will only end in strife. Even though opposites attract, like magnets, they also repel. When two powers of unmatched glory unite, it can't be without consequences. I am proof of that. This is my destiny, my story. I choose what happens now. I am now the king, not by choice, but because it's in my blood. It is my birthright and burden. Now I must be both the Moon and the Star that keeps alive all. I am a hybrid beast. I am Eclipsis.

February 18, 2020 03:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Thaine Chase
14:57 Feb 26, 2020

I enjoyed this.

Reply

Fenrir Elder
03:15 Feb 27, 2020

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uriah Riedel
00:11 Feb 26, 2020

Very well written

Reply

Fenrir Elder
03:15 Feb 27, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.