1 comment

Drama Suspense Contemporary

The Contest


I am Harriet Underwood. I remind myself that, with conviction, make it my mantra. It does not matter that I was born on the wrong side of the tracks in this little hick town I never left. Using my considerable skills and wit I have clawed my way into owning the old Peyton place. The grandeur of this magnificent neighborhood gives me great pleasure. The only fly in the salad the last years is the fact that only a garden fence separate me from the towns leading lady, Bernadette Sherman. 


Bernadette Sherman has a lineage back to the Civil war, and her pride and joy is that she now live in the Sherman house, with her scrawny mutt. I often give the heap of fur a treat, although I hate the beady eyes and sharp teeth. I like to keep my arch enemy on her toes.


  Me and Bernadette do not share society. Her fancy upbringing, with cotillions and what nots does not coexists with me learning how to be a coquette. At one time I thought I would like the high society, that the past could disappear when I forced myself onto the nicest street in town. Now I instead enjoy reigning at The Diner, my safe place. While I smell the the unpretentious, southern food coming my way, served with the respect I deserve I miss one important thing, but as it will soon be in my reach everything is fine. The waitress put the food down and hand me a leaflet. «Ma’am, I thought you wold like the program for quiz-finale.» I graciously take the folded sheet while glancing at the trofé up on a shelf behind the counter, gleaming silver, with the two handlebars in gold on each side. It would look good on my mantlepiece. Be a token of my cleverness. And standing beside it a photo of me, opening the Ball. A old woman can dream, and this dream is about to come through. But as I study the set up for the teams I see one change, one that is significant and horrific. 


Heading up a new team is non other than Bernadette Sherman. Just her and that skinny youngster Willie Hutton. After lobbying for months to get the winner of the Quiz to open the Shermanville Yuleball, the most fancy and magnificent event of the year, Bernadette comes in and flattens my chance of winning. I breath through my nose, I will have get my day in the lamplights, with pictures of me in the in Sherman Gazette the next day. I have picked a gown that in every way is better than the old thing Bernadette has wore while opening the ball the last ten years. Why is she forcing her self into my Diner, ruining everything? I was under the clear impression that we frequented different places, after the incident with the cat that morning, years ago. 


I summon the waitress. «Get Gray out here at once»

«Sorry Ma’am, he don’t come in until Friday evening.» I send the girl away. Gray has always been a coward. He has never told anyone who makes the questions for the quiz, and with Bernadette entering he is no doubt afraid I will force him to divulge. That is ok, I will go directly to the source of the problem.


This particular conversation demands a formal visit. I were a new conservative summer dress that scratches slightly, hat and parasol for the sun. And gloves. Maybe over the top, but it is about presenting oneself flawless. As Bernadette once remarked, I can not help being born on the wrong side of the tracks, but it should not hinder me in trying. Then she added that I could try as hard as I pleased, nothing good would come out of it. I shake the old feelings of inferiority, nothing can distract me now.


I climb up her grandiose staircase, having only once before darkened her doorstep. That was a time I still had hope for humanity, and that being Bernadettes neighbor would be favorable. Now I can laugh at such ridiculous ideas. The door hammer is polished, she has no doubt set the boy to work. And then the grand lady steps out. It has been months since I last caught a glimpse of her, and I am quite frankly stunned. The warm, smiling, somewhat shabby women is not the Bernadette I remember. At all.

«Harriet. How nice to see you.» It is? This is a new development, and my hackles are raised immediately. 

«Bernadette.» I take in the subtly upscale scarecrow. «What is this I hear, are you entering the quiz cup? Her smile become almost giddy. «William wants to participate. She is practically glowing. «William is very intelligent, you know. I praise the Lord he ended up with me after that brother of his disappeared. And my dear Mr Tuggins loves him to pieces, I can not believe my luck.


I ignore her happiness and luck, this is not what I am her for. «It would be highly unfair to let Willie enter, no other team has a chance. Bernadette laughs softly. Softly. I have no words for this new development. «It is only a competition, for fun. William is looking forward to it. You know he did not get out much in civilized company with that scheming brother, always making him do things. And he really wants to partake. It is just a game, after all.» I am quite sure she doesn’t mean that, she must be is as set on winning the Cup as my self.


I considered to take Willie in my self, and where it not for my intense dislike of him I probably would have. But know I see the error of my ways. With him on the team that old cow will win. This visit is not going anywhere. I march out, as quit as I can. 


After gathering my remaining strength, I visit Lucy, my second in command. «What shall we do?» Lucy, to nice for her own good, shrugs and pour sweet tea. It is one of the reasons we meet at her place, she is exalt at making this beverage. «There is not much we can do. William has a eidetic memory, but that is not his fault. We will just have to do our best, and let the chips fall where they may. 

I sigh heavily. «You are absolutely right.» I want to kick her. But as a self made lady, kicking is not what I do. I will take care of the situation in a more dignified fashion. I had thoughts of nudging Lucy to seduce Gray, and get the answers from him, as owner of the Diner he is responsible for the questions. She is his age and reasonably pretty, but I see now that it was a faulty plan. She hasn’t the killer instinct needed.



I have risen up through the sirupy, cloying society by sheer willpower, and I am not done. And then it come to me. Gray was telling me about that strange waitress he had some weeks ago, a file that wore a wig and was in hiding. She lived with Bernadette, as her niece. But Bernadette has no siblings, so how can that be? If I can find the reasons for the girl coming to work here in this destitute town, I can hopefully use the information and scare the old cow from showing her self. If I can get inside the house, search through it till I find something on that niece. It was a mystery when she came, and I wondered why a young girl would dress so unflattering, not to mention the bland make up. If she made such a trouble disguising her self, there must be something I can use to stop Bernadette and her team entering. But first I need sustenance. 


The Diner is quite when I go in and I see Gray standing behind the counter. This is a sign. I ambush him before he can slip away. «We have to state a new rule.» I say it loud behind his back, and he jumps before turning. « What new rule? I take a deep breath, and try to remain calm. «No new teams so late in the process. Grady dare a timid smile. «She is not new, she entered weeks ago.» He docent even pretend he don’t know who I am talking about. « Ok, what about denying teams with just two people?» Gray clears his throat. «Why? What reasons can I give?» I have no answer. While one bad idea after another bounces around with no where to go I feel my impeccable control slip. While tears, snot and sweat obscure my eyesight I prepare for a showdown worthy of one born on the wrong side. But then I hear Bernadette, behind me. She must have followed me, that conniving witch.


«I know we haven’t always seen eye to eye. But Willie has changed my view of the unfortunates. I would be more than happy join your team, and as long as William get the trofé, I will let you have the ball all to your self. 


Such sweetness, I am almost fooled. While the bad ideas get hold of me I turn to Bernadette. No-one in my family has ever said being eighty is a reason for standing down from a dirty fight. 


August 14, 2024 15:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Gabrielle Holly
01:07 Aug 22, 2024

Hi Tove, This was really good! I could clearly hear the protagonist's voice in my head throughout the story and I enjoyed Bernadette as the antagonist. Don't be afraid to go into detail about some of the backstory! Great job! Gaby Maurice

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.