0 comments

General

The year was 1959. We moved into our very first house. It was a three story, very old colonial with multiple additions.......I was only 8 years old. The house was huge. It had so many rooms and only one tiny little bathroom. Mom said you could soak your feet in the tub, wash your hands and take care of business at the same time, that’s how small it was. My siblings were 2, 17 and 19 years of age. Not the age to really grow up or play with.

 

I was the exploring type. Always curious and not afraid of much. Mom was busy sewing new curtains and fixing up the house. She would always say something like go play or find something to do. We didn't have television back then so I took it upon myself to learn all I could.

 

I would wonder around the house pretending I was a spy. It kept me busy.  One day I noticed dad walked down to the greenhouse and when he came back it was raining but he didn’t get wet. How could that be? I asked him and he said he took a short cut and chuckled. Mom walked us to the local library one day. I looked information on our house. The Peet family owned it first but they all had passed. I think that is how we got the house so cheap. Looking at the plans it showed an underground path that led to what is now the greenhouse. That was dad’s short cut but I had to find it. I spent the next four months at the library just reading everything and anything about mysteries, secret places and spent every waking minute thinking about it. 

 

 

Beginning to explore our house more in depth pondering if we had any more secrets here. 

Gee whiz was I surprised. My closet was connected to my oldest brother’s closet. I didn't know it before but I could walk through mine right into his room. That was neat. I'd spy on him all the time. 

He fussed so much dad boarded it up. Drats!

 

Meanwhile I kept reading and exploring. In the cellar there was a small back room behind Mr. Bla bla. That's what I called the furnace. I made that my secret hideout until dad turned it into his work shop. 

Before he did, I found the secret path to the greenhouse which also led to the shed and the pond.

I followed dad one day and found out the shed led to another path to the main road.

 

 My adventure didn't stop there. I saw my mom open a small door in the wall. She called it a dumb waiter. She was putting laundry in it and pulled on a rope. It lowered it to the washer area downstairs. 

One day I climbed in and lowered myself. About half way down I got stuck on a hinge. There was another door to open. Well of course I did. There was a room I've never seen before. It was set up beautifully. A rolling desk, a rug, a sofa and two chairs. A small round table and two chairs. I got out and looked around. There were two locked doors and a curtain. The curtain looked like the one mom made. I moved it to look out the window. There was no window just a curtain. I dare not ask mom as I may get punished. 

 

Back up the dumb waiter and out the kitchen door I went. I walked around the whole house to find that room. I just couldn't figure it out. After supper I couldn't wait to read again before dark. Good thing it was summer and no school. 

 

My cousins from New York came up to visit. We played hide and seek inside while our folks were barbequing. We couldn’t find Jeff anywhere. We searched every inch of the second floor, which was our rule only on the second floor. Helen hollered out we give up. Jeff came out of a hall closet which first of all we looked and second wasn’t really big enough to stand. I took a second look and noticed the towels on the bottom were moved. I moved them again and found a crawl space. Crawling my way down the hall and into my sister’s room through her wall. How cool was that?

 

I fell asleep in the middle of a mystery. It was fascinating.  It was morning and I went down to the watering hole. Old Mr. Brown asked if I was a good swimmer. I assured him I was. He said ok and asked me to follow him. 

I followed him into the water under and swam about two minutes. We came up for air and went down again. Another minute passed. We came up again and took a breath and down went again. This time we came up and walked on a deep green grassy area. There were flowers and a wrought iron table and chairs.  

As I looked around we were on a tiny island. I thought it was so cool. 

Mr. Brown had the biggest grin and said to tell no one. This is your secret get away. The only way to get here is swimming under water and following the passage. 

I am 67 years old and can still recall what Mr. Brown looked like and have never forgotten that dream.

 

The house still stands today. With all the additions dad built, the huge bathroom, a separate shower room and his own private library, which by the way you could get from three different entrances, were a great asset. My grandchildren have found even more hidden places and it’s exciting to see the look on their faces with a sparkle and a winkle in their eyes. Elijah found a book which explained why the house had so many secrets. It was built during the slavery times and our house helped the slaves escape.

 

That explains so much. So much of my life was lived here. Here in the secret house. How many lives were saved? How many children grew up? I wonder if Mr. Brown, the man in my dream was here or was it truly a dream?

 

March 26, 2020 23:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.