31 comments

Science Fiction Horror

This story contains sensitive content

cw: mentions of suicide, murder, sex, and terminal illness  


Balloons, apparently, are a weapon of mass destruction. Even the one that I’m fighting to get past security at this very moment—an 18” round one with the words GET WELL SOON printed above a cartoon sun wearing sunglasses. The more I look at it, the more it bothers me that the sun, in theory, is protecting himself against himself. 


Out of all the people in our lives, we hurt ourselves the most, my husband had warned me before I left. Are you sure you want to visit this woman? 


“She’s dying—as in, terminally ill dying.” That's the honest explanation I gave to anyone who asked, including the security guard arguing with me right now. This would be my good deed of the year. This is how I'd atone for all the sins I'd committed in my thirty-seven years of life; how I'd pay my penance for the two-sided tendencies that have plagued me for as long as I can remember.


“Then why tell her to get well soon?” the guard asks, humored. "I mean, if she's terminally ill?"


With a gloved hand, he confiscates my balloon, making me, at thirty-seven years old, feel like a child. Sometimes I think the guards inconvenience us on purpose, purely out of envy. Only the top three percent can afford time-travel. In fact, most can’t even afford to travel economy. The last time I traveled, there was an issue with my shampoo and the time before that an issue with the studs on my heels. 


The guards also tend to dislike us for the reasons we travel. Some elite travel to alternate timelines to have sex with more athletic versions of themselves. Others travel to alternate timelines to kill less successful versions of themselves, to which their lawyers always end up successfully arguing is suicide, not murder. 


I explain to the guard that I am not that type of traveler, however. Contrary to what he may believe about me or the top three percent in general, I’m not that type of rich person. I do not want to perform sexually creative acts on a leaner version of myself. Nor do I want to slaughter a weaker version of myself for my own sick pleasure. I simply want to deliver a 99-Cents-Store balloon to a dying version of myself, atone for all the times I've deceived people in my life and then go home to my two boys and husband where we will count our blessings. 


But he refuses to return my balloon and points me to Gate M41.


***

In the first letter I ever wrote to the dying version of myself, I asked her why—out of the infinite number of variations there were of myself—her life will end the most abruptly. We had the same genetics, after all. The same family history and predispositions to different types of illnesses, albeit different life decisions that had led us in radically different directions. 


She responded almost immediately to my letter. Probably due in part to the fact that she only has so much time left in this universe—but also because time-postage costs a fraction of what it costs to time-travel. 


Even someone like her, buried in medical bill after medical bill, could afford it. 


The air is bad here, she wrote back. The food is bad, too. Pumped with preservatives and chemicals that deform your organs. Probably why I have heart disease and you don't? Your world is better, cleaner.


Did I mention I can barely afford my blood thinners? she added. My blood is as thick as gravy, and I’m only thirty-seven. I probably won’t even live to get married. Become a mother. Those are the two things I've wanted to do most before I die.


I offered to travel to her—to pay for every medical bill, no matter how large. We were connected, after all—maybe even more so than sisters or lovers. The more I wrote to her, the more I felt for her, too. We had the same handwriting, the same 90-degree Ls that could stab and carefully closed Os with not even the smallest gap. At one point, I thought I loved her. Not in a romantic way or even a familial way but in the way my therapist once told me that I needed to love myself more. Perhaps this was the closest I’d ever come to self-love, given what a terrible person I am at my core, in this and every timeline. 


So I offered and offered. I’d pay for the blood thinners; I’d pay for the hospice care; I’d pay for the teddy bears. Though I didn’t mean to brag, I made it clear to her that it would be at no cost to me. Our realities, though vastly different, still used the same currency.


When she finally agreed to the money, we decided I’d deliver the money in person to make sure it ended up in the right hands. 


You can’t trust people, she'd written. People are terrible. Especially where I’m from. 


***


I buy a new balloon when I arrive. It’s almost identical to the one taken from me, except this one doesn’t say GET WELL SOON. It says SUMMER FUN, even though it is December.


The air is thicker here and the smog covers the sun, but the other me assured me before I arrived that it would take a life-long length of exposure for me to end up in the same position she’s in. 


As I search for her room number, my anxiety builds. I worry what I will say when I walk in. What she will say when I walk in. The handle of the suitcase of money becomes damp in my hand. I remind myself that I've talked to myself in the mirror before; had hypothetical practice conversations and practice arguments with myself in the mirror. I've even kissed my own reflection. Talking to this alternate version of myself would, in reality, be no different. I'd visited alternate versions of myself before, but never any that were dying.


“Mary?” a voice like mine says as I push the door open. 


“Hi, Mary. It’s me, Mary.” 


We both laugh uncomfortably. I try to hug her, but the plastic nest of tubes enveloping her small frame make it more awkward than it already is. We look identical, except for a scar on her left cheek. She’d mentioned in one of her letters a Terrier that attacked her at at her uncle’s BBQ, something that had never happened to me because of a slight variation in my own timeline. The more I look at her, the more I recognize myself in her.


“Your face is so much more beautiful than mine,” she says, touching her scar, and reaching to feel my own face.  


Unsure of how to respond, I tie the cheap, curly balloon ribbon around her limp wrist. She admires the Cartier bracelet around my own wrist and then looks back down at the ribbon tied to hers.


“You’re so much better than me,” she says in a croaking voice. 


“Well, I am you. Just you under different circumstances.” 


We’re both silent for a moment until I get to the point. “This is the money.”


She looks at the suitcase. “Straight cash?”


“It’s the only way to deliver it.”


“I know. I’m just in shock.” She lowers her voice. “Can I ask you a question?”


“Sure.”


“How much exactly is in there? Don’t say it too loud.”


I take out my phone to type it out for her. She looks at my wallpaper and smiles. “Is that your husband?” she asks solemnly. 


“Yes. That’s Ted. And our two boys. Bradley and Hunter.” 


“You’re so lucky.”  


“Don’t be jealous,” I say light-heartedly. “Marriage isn’t as great as it seems. And kids . . . boys especially!” I roll my eyes light-heartedly and change the subject. I type in the amount with my freshly manicured nails and show her the screen.


“No,” she says, point blank. “I only need a fraction of that amount for the blood thinners."


“Spend the rest on whatever you want,” I say. “Sincerely. Spend it on whatever you’ve dreamed of doing before you die."


***


I tuck Mary in her bed under the starchy hospital sheets and kiss her on the forehead goodbye. She's out on morphine by the time I book a trip out, so there are no awkward goodbyes and she can no longer beg and scream at me for leaving early as the nurses hold her back.


In a matter of minutes, I leave this reality and go back to my own where my husband embraces me and my two boys barrel down the stairs to tug at my skirt. 


“How was it?” asks Ted.


“Good."


"Did she take the money?"


"Yes."


"That's wonderful," says Ted, pulling me in but then pushing me back so that he can see my entire face.


"Mary," he says, startled. "What happened to your cheek?"

May 06, 2023 03:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Tommy Goround
13:45 May 14, 2023

F'cker. Pardon. It is Sunday. I should avoid honesty. What I was going to say: lovely how you overcame a table set beginning, the need to set the table (verses a hook: Mary came to find herself in another place less prosperous). 2.) The way you wrap the reader into human sentiment while playing with brain...sci Fi usually fails in the humanity.... 3) incredible of the analysis of taking yourself as a child to live, taking the prosperous position. The feeling of Survivor Guilt.... 4) the idea that it is all environmental. Because the genet...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:22 May 19, 2023

When I saw the word "F'cker" without seeing your name, my first thought was "oh lookie another Chocolate hater has entered the chat! :)" but then I saw your name, and was like, oh no, it's TOMMY GOROUND! Always a joy to get an analysis from you my friend. I'm not big on Sci-Fi but I'm trying to read every genre these days. I think there's even room to create new ones. Apparently Cli-Fi is one now, but all the ones I've read come off as kind of preachy and then I fall asleep. Thank you for the high compliment. I'm stalking your latest sto...

Reply

Tommy Goround
19:28 May 19, 2023

You understand 'fker' means 1) I wish I had written that 2) why didn't you mess the story up so I could be useful instead of just praising

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:31 May 19, 2023

I know : ) I just hadn't seen who it was from. Thank you for the high compliment. I appreciate your praise and criticism equally. Though I'm happy this was all praise on this one!

Reply

Tommy Goround
19:46 May 19, 2023

"womb Bear" is back up for you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
19:30 May 19, 2023

Oh.... Hmmm... Short stories have the problem of being short. I vaguely recall.... Let me find it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Tagan Youngblood
21:30 Oct 05, 2023

As someone who’s been sitting in a car for 2 hours reading stories on here, I can confirm this is a story of all time. In all seriousness, I loved this story. The relationship with yourself from another world is such a cool and introspective idea! Nice job, definitely gonna follow 👍

Reply

Liv Chocolate
23:59 Oct 05, 2023

Thanks, Tagan! And welcome to Reedsy. That's really encouraging to hear. To be hoenst, this is one of my stories that I cringe at when I reread it, but to hear that makes me feel less bad about it Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
23:56 Jul 01, 2023

Excellent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
21:06 May 11, 2023

Hi Liv, I really liked that we just jumped into the action for this piece. I think that you leaned on an idea that a lot of us have trouble with it felt very airport security-esque. I thought that you provided enough explanation for us to be able to jump into the universe that you created without the piece being bogged down by it all. I liked Mary and I liked what she represented in both worlds but that final line makes me a bit suspicious of her, though. So I’d be intrigued by a sequel in her perspective. :)

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:17 May 19, 2023

Thank you, Amanda! Your name is also on my list of reading I need to catch up one while I've been gone. I'm glad the airport security comparison came through. Backstory is something I'm still working on, but I'm glad its came off as just the right amount of explanation. I personally get really impatient with backstory as are a lot of us.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:44 May 09, 2023

Very fun :) The end is a twist, but all the clues were there - the narrator accepting she's two-faced, and other-Mary literally telling us: "You can’t trust people, she'd written. People are terrible. Especially where I’m from." Still, the twist works because we have someone trying to atone and getting screwed over for it. No good deed goes unpunished, after all. I like the take on the prompt. When I was trying out ideas for this one, I was wondering about all sorts of bizarre or corrupting afflictions time travel might inflict, but the ...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:14 May 19, 2023

Hey, Michael! It's so good to see your name on here. I've been MIA for a while. I always look forward to your analyses because time and time again you nail exactly what the writer was trying to go for while uncovering things we'd only realized on a subconscious level. So for that thank you The twisted sex practices were definitely inspired by a YouTube video I saw on Informer Vice. Apparently money can make some people go from vanilla to ... sorbet? Or maybe Mayo ice cream because that's apparently a thing 🤮 I NEED to read Mouse! Of cour...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:31 May 09, 2023

Very cool twist.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:05 May 19, 2023

Thank you, Anne!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
04:44 May 08, 2023

Deeply appreciating what you did with this 'time travel'. I, for one, would not choose to visit an earlier version of myself but hey, good for Mary. The ending was an utter stunner, but then so is the writing. Always enjoy your writing and your stories.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:07 May 19, 2023

Wow! Thank you, Wally! It looks like you've been killing it here on Reedsy. I need to catch up on your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:50 May 07, 2023

I thought Mary was going to visit a much older Mary on her death bed in the distant future. Surprised it was her replica now in parallel universe which made the switch possible.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:05 May 19, 2023

Thank you for reading, Mary! I would've probably thought the same thing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
21:36 May 06, 2023

That's wild. I was just thinking about you the other day. Like, "Man, whatever happened to Liv Chocolate? Now there was a lady who came, saw, and conquered." And lo and behold, you're still out there in the world typing away at the keyboard. That makes me happy. Sentimentality aside, this is a great read, and it reminds me why I adore your writing style so much. Clean, streamlined, economic, without all the frills and the bells and whistles and the "Look at me, look how good I am with language" artifice. Minimalism will always make my heart...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:04 May 19, 2023

Zack!!! It's so nice to be welcomed back by one of Reedsy's greats. This comment really made my day, as all your comments do! I have to catch up on all the greatness you've been putting on here while I was hibernating. I'm actually pretty mind-blown right now, because I never considered that first-person dialogue tags are technically dependent on the narrator's knowledge of who's who. So I'll admit the previous mention of her husband's name was pure luck. You just taught me something new to consider. Glad to be back! And as always, than...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
20:20 May 06, 2023

The ending floored me. Absolutely floored me. That really made everything before so much more powerful and satisfying. The "sick" Mary was really sick. Love the double meaning behind it all. As per, you wrote an enthralling tale in your trademark beautiful style. You have such talent, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
18:59 May 19, 2023

Thank you, Delbert! You absolutely killed it with The Bullet that Esther Stopped (and all the weeks, of course!) I'm a big fan of double meanings, both in real life and stories. I'm glad you appreciate the undertones. And such a high compliment! Thanks for always encouraging me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
18:57 May 06, 2023

Liv, I get that this was time travel but it easily could have fit the revolving door too. Simply said I think this was well thought out and well written to capture the essence of the prompt in such an elegant way that the prompt is no longer important and the story comes alive. As a reader I wanted Mary 1 to take the money from Mary 2 but suspected it had to be the scar or the blood that Mary 2 came back with. I knew it couldn't extend to her family. What I think you did without saying is show the love and understanding of the family by...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
18:55 May 19, 2023

Hey, Lily! I feel like it's been so long~ I've been MIA from the Reedsy world but I'm glad to be greeted by all these familiar faces! Thank you for the thoughtful comment. I'm glad that you were rooting for Mary to take the money and run! It was kind of challenging making Mary not completely hated since she's supposed to be, at her core, a "bad person," maybe with some narcissistic tendencies in there, but I think we all have a dark side. Good to see you again!

Reply

Lily Finch
19:35 May 19, 2023

Ditto. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
07:09 May 06, 2023

This is such a great concept, the idea of being able to interact with different versions of yourself. Also, I love how the cost is spun in two different ways here, she is willing to pay a financial price but doesn't really she will pay a personal price. (love that even time travel still has the pain of going through customs too.) Esp love the dark turn the ending took, though there is already a sense of dread throughout the story just due to the creep factor of multiple versions of one person. I thought the sick version of her was going to...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
18:51 May 19, 2023

Thank you for the amazing comment, Kelsey! I was initially concerned the symbolism and everything didn't make a lot of sense, but you nailed it, especially on Mary being the one who destroys herself in the end!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
10:20 Dec 29, 2023

Being new to Reedsy I’ve obviously been doing the rounds and i can honestly say this is one of the few I’ve not been able to get out of my head… Mark of a good one. Looking forward to reading more of your work

Reply

Liv Chocolate
23:17 Jan 03, 2024

what a nice comment, thank you Claire! My news years resolution is to get back into Reedsy again. Thank you for reading <3 and I can't wait to read your work too

Reply

Claire Trbovic
07:11 Jan 04, 2024

Always a pleasure! Just been having a gander at your other work, made me want to give list formats a go, excited to see your next piece post NY’s resolution!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.