4 comments

Fiction Drama Friendship

This story contains themes or mentions of sexual violence.

'Hey, babe! Are we on for tonight?' Abigail texted Molly.

When she received her best friend's text, Molly was busy cooking prawns and pasta for lunch.

She then asked Siri to call Abigail's number quickly.

'Call Abigail,' she requested Siri.

Siri is one of the reasons why Apple phones are perceived as superior to Android phones. If you don't know Siri in 2023, what do you know?

'Hello… babe! I was just about to double-text you. I was happy to see you calling.'

'Ha-ha, I've missed you too, Abby.'

'So we're on, right? I can't wait for you to meet Harry.'

Molly responded. 'I wouldn't miss it for the world. 8 pm, right?'

'Right! Yay! See you later…' Abby said and then hung up.

Spending time with her best friend was one of her favorites. Molly didn't have any other friends. She didn't believe in having friend groups. Abby, on the other hand, didn't understand how she was Molly's only friend.

Yet, Molly was confused about Abby's ability to make friends quickly. The only explanation is that Molly was the introvert and Abby the extrovert.

Or, maybe Abby was just young. She just turned 26 that year.

Molly was already in her mid-30s and had enough experiences with friendship. She was traumatized.

Abby was in her late 20s and believed her life would be dull without friends. But how would she know this if she hadn't experienced the other side yet?

Lunch was ready.

And Molly downed the prawns with a glass of wine. Seafood was one of her favorite meals. And she had to treat herself on that day because it was the first day of her vacation off work.

***

It was only a few hours to 8 pm.

Molly got ready and arrived at Abigail's house by 7:45 pm.

Quite the timekeeper.

She parked her AudiQ7 in the basement and then made a phone call to Abby, 'I’m downstairs, boo. I’ll be there in a few.’

‘Sounds great!’ Abby responded, ‘Harry and I just finished preparing dinner. You’ll find the door open….’

By 26, Abby lived in a luxurious apartment. She was a social media influencer, and her career always peaked. Many a time, she tried to recruit Molly into the industry.

But Molly was more of a corporate woman.

It’s crazy how these two friends were alike, yet were still opposites.

This was the first time she made her relationship public. Molly was quite interested in meeting Harry. The love of Abby’s life. The one who seemed to have gotten away.

Molly slightly knocked on the door before letting herself in.

Abby’s house was basically Molly’s house. They were close friends.

When she entered, Harry and Abby were nowhere in sight.

‘Maybe they’re still in the kitchen,’ Molly soliloquized making herself comfortable on the couch. The house was so big. Knowing Abby was always on her phone, she wanted to call her and let her know she’d arrived.

As soon as she took out her phone, she saw Abby and Harry strutting into the living room.

***

Harry was a well-built white man with platinum blonde hair. His beard color matched his hair. Despite seeing him on Abby’s social media page, his look was surprising to Molly. Physically, he was completely different from Abby’s past lovers. He was not Abby’s usual type when it came to men. Molly was her best friend; she would know.

‘You’re here, boo! We didn’t hear you coming….’

‘I thought so, love.’ Molly replied. ‘How could you hear me when you live in such a luxurious house?’

Although she’d been there countless times, Molly was still impressed by Abby’s house. Sometimes, she did contemplate taking up Abby’s offer to be a social media influencer. What Abby had at 26 is what most people- regardless of gender – have as they approach 40.

‘Ha-ha, you’re funny, Mol… make yourself comfortable.’

‘…Harry, this is Molly, my best friend. And Molly, this is Harry.’

‘Nice to finally meet you, Harry.’

‘Nice to meet you too, Molly. Your best friend constantly talks about you.’

‘Oh, does she? Aside from loving her, that’s another thing we have in common. She constantly talks about you too….’

‘All great things, I believe,’ Harry answered.

‘Ha-ha… are you two going to act like I’m not here?’

‘You spoiled brat!’ Molly said. ‘We’re talking about you…’

‘I know… I know, babe.’ Abby responded in a playful voice.

‘…will you have anything to drink first, Mol?’

‘Of course, babe… umm, red wine on the rocks, please?’

‘No worries… Harry, do you mind asking the Butler to serve my friend’s drink?’

‘I’ll do that, baby.’ Harry responded. ‘You’re welcome again, Molly. We’re happy to have you.’

Molly gave Abby the side-eye. ‘Thanks, Harry… that’s very kind of you.’

Before making his way to the kitchen, he kissed Abby.

‘Abby… I thought we talked about this!’ Molly reacted.

‘…he stays here all week, Mol… there’s no difference now that we’ve moved in together….’

‘Abby… I just… I hope you’re sure about him.’

‘Well, I am. But only time will tell, right?’

‘Right.’

Harry came back from the kitchen with Molly’s red wine. ‘The Butler’s busy preparing the table for dinner. I decided to bring it myself.’

‘Thank you. How kind of you,’ Mol said to Harry.

Molly was not a fan of moving in with romantic partners. She did not even believe in marriage.

She had enough traumatic experiences from her past that discouraged her from pursuing a romantic relationship.

Most of the men she dated and started a relationship with were not serious. They did not understand what it meant for them to be in long-term relationships.

‘Hey Molly, you zoned out for a moment there. Is it the wine?’

‘Ha-ha… yes, it’s quite smooth and crisp. Italian?’

‘Sì!’ Abby said ‘yes’ in Italian.

‘I knew it!’

‘Of course, you did, Mol… ha-ha… how many wines have we had from Italy? You’d understand the vibe by now.’

‘Ha-ha… this one is different. The percentage must be higher. Anyway, you said we’d talk about a dating app or something of the sort?’

‘Ah yeah… Harry has all the information.’

‘Baby, sorry, this is how talkative Mol and I get whenever we’re together….’

‘No worries, love….’ Harry reassured her.

Abby asked him. ‘So, the app?’

‘Ah, yes… here you go, Molly.’ Harry passed his phone to Abby’s friend.

‘The interface looks interesting already….’

‘I know, right?’ Abby told her. ‘So, I’m working with Harry to market the app. So far, a few of my Instagram and TikTok followers are already testing it. But, we’re marketing it anonymously, at least, for now.’

‘Anonymously?’

‘Yea… something about building a fan base first?’ Harry told her. ‘We’re working with go-betweens.’

‘Oh, nice! Makes sense… I’d love to try it out, too… hopefully, I’ll meet a mature man… I’ve had it with men-children.’

Abby laughed out loud and leaned over to Molly. ‘Babeee, please don’t remind me about those men. I’m so glad Harry isn’t a man-child. I’d be damned.’

‘Harry, you must be a keeper. This girl never fawns over anyone.’ Molly told him.

‘Ha-ha… she knows I love her.’ Harry stated while looking Abby straight into her eyes.

Abby blushed and then immediately changed the topic. ‘We’re digressing, guys! Let’s focus on this app….’

‘Ah.. yes, sorry babe… So, what should I do?’ Molly asked.

‘All you need to do is download the app, experience the free trial and then review the app.’

‘Is that all? I hope I get me a man very soon.’

‘Ha-ha, you’ve never stopped being funny, Molly… so, you’ll let us know once everything is done? I’ll hand over your feedback to Harry, and then he’ll move with it to the next stage. If we continue working with the company, there will also be paid gigs for reviewers.’

‘I’m in… anything for my best friend… plus, I need that side hustle! Living in America is not a walk in the park.’

‘Right, babe? But we’re abundant….’

Immediately, the Butler approached the living room. ‘Dinner is ready, ma’am.’

‘Let’s go eat, guys…’ Abby said as she led Harry and Molly into the kitchen.

They all had dinner together, and Molly left immediately after. Normally, she would spend the night at Abby’s.

But things were different now. Abby had a man, and she had moved in with this man.

***

Since taking a break from work, Molly’s mornings always started with red wine. Occasionally, she’d have white wine.

She always talked about how red wine had this fiery vibe that she needed to start her days. And she was a firm believer in the law of attraction. She was one of those people who believed that one’s vibration sets the tone of their day-to-day life.

After wine, she took a shower and set to start her day. In her plans, that day, was a solo date she’d been planning for quite some time.

She wanted to eat at a new Asian restaurant in her town. When Molly tasted Chinese for the first time, she made it a project to try out other Asian cuisines.

And with the new restaurant, this was perfect timing.

***

Dressed in tight black pants and a fitting hoodie, she entered the restaurant. She preferred to sit outside.

Unlike her friend, she was spiritually attached to energy and vibration. Sitting outside wouldn’t mess with her aura – she believed. As soon as she was about to place her order, she noticed a man heading into the washroom.

It was not just any man.

It was Harry.

She was tempted to call Abby but didn’t let the curiosity immediately get the best of her.

She monitored the situation before making any impulsive move.

After all, maybe Harry was there with Abby.

When Harry left the washroom, he sat at a table that a woman had already occupied—a woman who wasn’t Abby.

As a typical friend would, she captured photos of Harry and the woman and sent them to her friend.

The photos were captioned, ‘Isn’t this Harry, babe?’

‘WTF!’ Abby responded. ‘I thought he said he’s out of town for work! Can I call you?’

‘One sec, babe… let me pay for my drink. I’ll call you when I get into the car.’

Hurriedly, Molly paid for her drink and left the restaurant. Although Harry wouldn’t recognize her anyway, she still covered herself with a facemask and her hoodie.

She entered her car, put her bag aside and called Abby.

‘Hey, Abby, I’m so sorry I had to see that.’

‘No, it’s not your fault Mol… I’d have found out any other way. I was already suspecting it… didn’t know what to do….’

Molly sympathized. ‘I know, babe… but the Universe is always right on time.’

‘Thanks, babe. I know you always have my back.’

Molly replied. ‘I care about you, Abby… and you will eventually heal…besides, Rome wasn’t built in a day.’

‘Yeah, babe… I’ll break up with him,’ Abby said.

‘That’s my girl. I think I’ll try out the restaurant another time. Harry’s presence ruined my appetite.’

After they both hung up, Molly headed back home.

And Abby couldn’t help but release painful tears.

She then called Harry to ask about his trip, knowing Molly had seen him.

Abby proceeded with Harry’s false narrative and invited him for a casual dinner when he ‘returned’ from his trip.

She didn’t even give him any clue about what Molly saw.

She was a scorned woman.

You can never predict what a scorned woman will do.

***

She ensured the Butler cooked Harry’s favorite meal on the much-awaited night. This was her way of commemorating the breakup.

Harry was there earlier than expected. Perhaps, to overcompensate for his philandering ways.

‘I missed you, baby. Work was crazy.’ Harry lied.

‘Oh, was it? I’m so sorry, Harry… let me get you something to eat. You must be tired. Poor baby,’ Abby said sarcastically.

Abby asked the Butler to serve Harry.

But she couldn’t pretend any longer. She wasn’t going to let him enjoy that meal. She took out her phone and wrote a text message attached to the picture sent by Molly.

‘Check your phone, Harry….’

It was from Abby. The text message she wrote earlier was for Harry.

‘Work trip, huh?’ Abby asked him.

‘…who sent this to you, Abby?’

‘That’s none of your business, Harry… we’re done.’

Harry got aggressive and started to punch the wall. ‘Is it that bitch? What was her name? Molly, right?’

‘My friends always come through for me… I’m not a miserable piece of shit… I’m not like you.’

Before Harry could say anything, the Butler escorted him out of Abby’s home.

***

Harry drove himself to the nearest hotel. He needed to clear his mind because he was almost nothing without Abby.

He had some emergency savings that wouldn’t last him too long.

That night, he promised himself that if he went down, he’d take Molly with him.

He sat on the desk in his hotel room and took a laptop from his bag. Harry then logged into the system of the dating app they recommended to Molly.

Being one of the app’s developers, he accessed all the users’ content. He looked for Molly’s profile. He then found all the naked photos she’d been sending to the men she flirted with on the app.

Harry created a fake profile on Instagram, uploaded Molly’s naked pictures and tagged Abby’s profile to them.

***

Despite Molly trying to help her friend, she ends up suffering the consequences of her ‘good’ actions.

Karma is cyclic and does not discriminate.

April 28, 2023 05:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Catherine Hudson
19:57 May 04, 2023

I like a story that doesn't wrap up at the end with a pretty bow. I was surprised though that Molly wasn't all that much of an introvert.

Reply

V. Adriane (RIN)
03:57 May 05, 2023

Thank you for reading! What made you see that Molly wasn't all that much of an introvert?

Reply

Catherine Hudson
13:26 May 05, 2023

Just that she had the sexy pictures

Reply

V. Adriane (RIN)
13:33 May 05, 2023

Makes sense!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.