0 comments

Fiction Happy

The Solar Eclipse

In the heart of Central Park, where the city’s hustle and bustle fades into a serene oasis, an extraordinary event is about to unfold. Some people have come from all over the United States to New York to witness this miraculous occurrence. It’s April 8, 2024and the sun is playing a cosmic game of hide-and-seek with the moon. The anticipation is palpable as New Yorkers gather in the park, their eyes shielded by special eclipse glasses, ready to witness a celestial spectacle. People have taken their places all around the lawn of the park. Some people are standing around patiently awaiting the grand event. Trina, a curious ten-year-old, stands on the dew-kissed grass near the iconic Bow Bridge. She clutches her eclipse glasses, their lenses darkened to protect her eyes. Her family surrounds her—her parents, her little brother, and their neighbors. All of the local and county schools are closed for the day, and this rare event has become a community celebration. There are camera crews and station vans all around the entrance of the park. Some of the patrons were getting interviewed by serial of the anchor people wanting to know how everyone was feeling about witnessing such an even that only took place every twenty years. One elderly couple had flew in from Woodstock, Alabama to see the solar eclipse with their grandson. As the clock inches toward 2:10 pm, the air grows cooler, and the sunlight takes on an otherworldly hue. Dylan tries to run and chase a small dog around the park. His mother catches him and pulls him back into her arms. Trina’s heart races. She imagines the moon inching across the sun’s face, like a cosmic veil being drawn. The first contact—the moment the moon’s edge kisses the sun—sends a shiver down her spine. She glances at her little brother, Dylan, who’s equally wide-eyed with wonder. At 3:25 pm, the park falls into a hushed silence. The maximum eclipse—the deepest point of this celestial dance—arrives. The sun, once a blazing orb, now appears as a crescent sliver. Shadows elongate, and the world takes on an ethereal quality. People began to laugh and cheer staring up at the sky. A cool gentle breeze swept through the air. “I feel cold mama,” says Trina. Her mom unzips a backpack that lay on the ground and pulls out Trina jacket. She wraps the warm jacket around Trina's small shoulders as the chill of the eclipse creeping in. Trina gazes at the Bow Bridge, its intricate ironwork casting delicate patterns on the ground. She straddles the bench, one foot on either side. And there it is—the edge of totality. If she sits on one end of the bench, she’ll experience the full eclipse. If she shifts to the other side, she’ll miss it by a hair’s breadth. Most people won’t notice the difference, but Trina wants to be right on the fringe of magic. As the moon continues its slow journey, Trina’s mind races. She began to daydream and wonders what secrets lie in the shadow. What ancient stories does the eclipse whisper to those who listen. Trina glances at her dad, who’s busy adjusting his camera settings. The camera was a Father's Day present bought for him last year. He captures the moment the sun’s corona blazing like a cosmic crown around the moon. Dylan runs over where his dad stood near the light post. He wraps his small arms around his father legs as he looks up at the sky. Trina starts jumping up and down with excitement. She removes her glasses, blinking at the world restored. There was a young woman who took her glasses off wiping tears from her eyes. Everyone had their own special way of commemorating their memory the event. She’ll remember this day the hush, the bridge, the bench—for the rest of her life. Maybe one day she’ll write her own story about a girl who straddled the edge of the solar eclipse, where reality and wonder converged. In Central Park, where skyscrapers meet stardust, Trina’s adventure unfolds a tale of shadows, curiosity, and the magic that dances between the sun and the moon. Cheers erupted from the crowd—a chorus of awe and wonder. As swiftly as it had vanished, the sun reappeared. The sky brightened, colors returning to their rightful places. People removed their glasses, blinking against the sudden light. Conversations buzzed with excitement. The birds fell silent, and the leaves rustled nervously. It was as if nature itself held its breath. Families packed up their picnic blankets, children clutching their eclipse drawings. Couples held hands, their faces still upturned, as if hoping for another glimpse of the breathtaking experience that had witness. Camera crews along with news anchors began to pack up all their equipment loading them into their news vans. As we left the park, the world seemed different. Trina's dad grabbed her and Dylan's hand. Their mother walked behind them carrying her purse and backpack. The family walked back to their cars, the asphalt warm beneath their feet. Trina wondered how many bananas stacked end to end would reach the moon. In the rear-view mirror, Trina caught a final glimpse of the park—a place where strangers had become stargazers. Mrs. Gaines her fifth-grade teacher, had given the class and assignment before they left school. They had to write about the solar eclipse and their thoughts about what they had seen. Trina couldn't wait to get home to get started on writing her assignment. To share with her classmates about her wondrous visions of stargazing in Central Park. She thought about hearing what amazing stories that her other classmates would write about what they had seen in the park that day. Dylan had fallen asleep in his car seat on the ride home. His little hands sticky with chocolate ice cream cone that had melted all over the seat. The family had finally arrived at home. Trina's dad opened the back door and took Dylan out of his car seat.

“Wake up,” said Dad. “You have made a mess son.”

Trina ran past her mama to get into the house. Her dad took Dylan up to his bedroom. Trina went into her bedroom and got a piece of notebook paper out of her book bag. She wanted to write down all the event s of the day before she forgot them. She sat down at the little table inside her room. She titles the story, “Watching the Solar Eclipse at Central Park.” Trina began to write about all the things that happened at the park that day. All the wonderful adventures that taken place and all the different people that she saw and new friendships that she had made at Central Park.


April 11, 2024 13:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.