1 comment

General

Harry nudges Sarah’s legs as she types and bends down to pat him for the hundredth time today. Furiously replying to an email, she leans in towards her laptop and starts the second paragraph. Harry sits down and looks up expectantly at her.

‘Not now Harry, I’m busy.’ He starts to sook. ‘Where’s Lulu?’ He jumps up and puts his front paws on her lap, still looking at her intently. ‘Harry, I can’t. Go find Lulu.’ She puts his front legs back down on the floor and points out into the hallway, motioning to Lulu, mostly asleep. ‘Off you go.’ Harry’s ears flatten and he eventually leaves the room. Sarah signs off on her email and hits send.

Her phone lights up and starts to buzz. It’s Marcus. She slides her finger on the screen and taps the speaker.

‘Hey baby.’

‘Hey!’

‘How are you going?’

‘Yeah, not too bad.’

‘How’s work going today?’

‘Yeah, it’s alright. Just chasing some people up but it’s okay. How about you?’

‘Not too bad. I’m just going between jobs at the minute. I’ve gotta pick up some timber on the way. I thought I’d give you a call while I’m in the car.’

‘Oh, cool. How’s your day been so far?’

‘Pretty good. The clients made me lunch just before which was nice of them.’

‘Nice. What did they make you?’

‘It was like a banh mi with pork crackle. It was yummo.’

‘Spoilt!’

‘Yeah, how are the dogs going?’

‘The usual. Harry’s being super clingy this morning though. He keeps sulking at me.’

‘Ah okay. What’s he doing now?’

‘He’s just outside, sniffing the air.’

‘What a spud.’

‘I know.’

‘Alright baby, well just thought I’d check up on you. I’ve just arrived at the timber yard so I’ll speak to you later.’

‘No worries, chat soon. Bye!’

‘Catch ya.’

Sarah ends the call and glances over to look at Lulu, who hasn’t moved for hours, only batting an eye every now and then. Heading out to the kitchen, she makes herself a cup of tea, Lulu following close behind. Harry has made his way back inside and is sulking again.

‘What do you want boy?’ She goes to find the ball in the toybox and throws it to him. He chases after it as it rolls down the stairs outside. He gets to where it’s landed but he doesn’t bring it back. Instead he sits down next to it and sulks.

‘Pick it up and bring it to me.’ Lulu’s sitting beside her but runs out to get the ball once she realises Harry’s not bringing it back. But she gets distracted and starts sniffing around the backyard.

‘Righto then, if you’re not going to bring the ball back, I’m going back to work.’ Sarah heads back to the home office and starts typing away, catching up on emails. She watches Lulu start digging in the garden. Sarah bangs on the window.

‘Oi, stop that.’ Lulu stops digging and looks up but can’t find the source of the voice through the tinted windows. She goes to join Harry, lying in the garden bed. Soon Marcus comes home and pokes his head in the door.

‘Heya baby, how was work today?’

‘Yeah not too bad.’ Sarah switches off, heads to the kitchen, grabs a wine glass from the cupboard and starts to pour a bottle of red.

‘One of those days hey?’

‘Yep.’ Sarah feeds the dogs. ‘I caught Lulu digging in the garden today.’

‘That’s odd. She never does that.’

‘I know. I banged on the window and she stopped but still.’

‘Hmm. Dunno. What are we having for dinner tonight?’

‘Curry. That okay?’

‘Sounds good.’

Every morning, Sarah’s day starts with a video call checking in with the rest of the team. Harry nudges his way through her legs and jumps up, making an appearance.

‘Hi Harry!’

‘Awww Harry!’

‘Harry, get down.’ Sarah pushes him back down where he looks up at her, sitting against her legs. He tries to get up again but Sarah keeps him down. ‘Sorry guys.’

Marcus sends through a message. How are you going?

Hey. Good, how about you?

Not bad. Wishing it was Friday.

Only a few more days.

How are the dogs?

Harry’s driving me nuts again. Lulu’s sulking at me too and keeps running through the house.

So weird. I don’t know what’s gotten into them.

I think I’ll take them for a walk at lunchtime.

Sounds good.

Sarah pulls out the leads and both Lulu and Harry have perked up, running circles at the front door. Hopefully this will get rid of some of their energy. After half an hour, Lulu has stopped pulling on the lead and is starting to walk alongside Sarah. ‘You tired yet puppers? I think we’ll start heading home.’

After getting back home and pulling in the washing, Sarah’s back to work, answering calls and responding to emails. Lulu and Harry are outside both trying to dig at the edge of the deck. Again, Sarah bangs on the window and yells out.

‘What are you two doing?’ They run inside pacing back and forth, sulking. ‘What? What is it? How can you possibly still have energy?’ She gets up and waves her arms. Lulu looks back and runs ahead, waiting for Sarah to catch up. She walks outside and the dogs run back towards the edge of the deck.

‘God, look what you’ve done. You’re tearing up the grass.’ She pulls out her phone and calls Marcus. ‘I’m going to kill the dogs.’

‘What have they done now?’

‘They’re still digging up the garden. They never do this. I’m trying to work and I just can’t. They’re driving me mad.’

‘It’s okay. I’ll be home soon. They can annoy me instead.’

Sarah sits down on the stairs and runs her hand over her face and through her hair. ‘Okay then. Thanks.’

‘See you soon.’

Harry runs to her and licks her face, sulking and waiting for Sarah to respond. Lulu’s sat herself down at the edge of the deck, ears pricked, also sulking.

‘Stop it! Stop sulking – both of you! I’ve had enough. How am I supposed to get any work done?’ Harry runs to sit by Lulu and Lulu simply looks at Sarah then focuses her attention back on the deck. She barks and then starts to dig.

‘No Lulu! Stop that.’ But Lulu pays no attention. Harry starts to bark and sulk, pacing behind Sarah as she goes to pull Lulu away. She growls and Sarah steps back. Lulu’s never growled at her before.

‘That’s it! Get away Lulu. I’m locking you up in the garage.’ Sarah drags Lulu by the collar but Lulu continues to try and dig, scraping at the grass as Sarah’s pulling her away. As she does, something catches her eye. Looking closer, she realises that there’s a white patch in the brown dirt. She lets Lulu go where she sits down, barking at the patch. Sarah grabs a stick and tries to figure out what it is.

‘Hey baby!’ Marcus walks out onto the deck. ‘What are you doing?’

‘There’s something here. I feel bad now. They’ve been trying to dig up something.’

‘What is it?’

‘I think it’s just rubbish. Must smell or something.’ Marcus comes down the stairs and grabs a small trowel from the potting bench. He bends down and helps. Sarah on her knees, leans back to get out of the way. Lulu and Harry sit close by, watching intently.

‘It’s a bone. One of them probably buried it ages ago.’

‘Oh okay. Well get it out. That’s disgusting. Plus, I don’t think I can handle another day of constant sulking and whimpering about a bone in the dirt.’

‘Yeah, no worries. I’ve almost got it.’

‘Wait… Is that?’

Marcus stops digging for a moment. ‘I’m not sure.’

‘Is that teeth?’

‘Sure looks like it. There’s more here than I thought.’

‘Those look like human teeth.’ Sarah sits back and Lulu starts barking again. ‘Oh my God, Marcus, stop.’

He stops digging but pulls up a piece with him. ‘Fuck.’

‘Marcus, that’s a skull - a human skull!’

April 24, 2020 10:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Joy Barton
04:50 Apr 30, 2020

Intriguing story, there should be a sequel to this one!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.