Apple Date

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Alec drove slowly down the road. Oak trees lined the evening lit road, their leaves turning a shade of brown as they gently fell, catching in the winds gust to splatter onto his pickup. 

"There!" Akari said with excitement, pointing to a street to the right. As Alec turned off onto the dirt road Akari oohed in excitement. Apple trees were everywhere. His excitement made Alec smile as he pulled to a stop in front of a farmhouse. "This is going to be so much fun!" 

As they got out an older female stepped out on the wrap-around porch. "Welcome!" She greeted. "My name is Zaina and I will be your host for today. First things first what is your names?" 

"This is Alec and I'm Akari," Akari gave Zaina an award-winning smile. He was mixed with white and black making his skin tanned. His blue eyes looked upon everything with an excited gaze before he looked back at the female. 

"Come in," she opened the door and stepped aside as they went up the steps and into the house. It had an old fashioned homey feeling to it. Antiques decorated the foyer and pictures of the owners' family were on the wall. 

They were led into a dining room, a plate of apple tarts and a pitcher of apple juice sat in the middle. Both took a seat next to each other as Zaina fixed two plates and two glasses for them and scooted the refreshments close to them. "What brings you here?" She asked as she sat down. 

"It's a surprise date," Alec answered. This made Zaina give them a look of disgust which she disguised quickly with a smile. "We wanted to go apple picking?" He asked uncertainly. 

"Of course," her voice wasn't as warm as it had been before. Akari didn't seem to notice as he gobbled up both his and Alec's pastries. "That will be $30." Alec gave a strained smile as he slid the money over to her. The advertisement had clearly said apple picking was free, but the gay couple wouldn't be treated fairly as per usual. 

"We're ready when you are," Alec said cooly. Akari glanced up at Alec's change of tone but didn't say anything as Zaina led them through a laundry room where she grabbed two baskets and gave it to them before going outside and waved a hand. 

"Help yourself, ladders are leaned up against the barn," she then left them and went back inside. It didn't escape their notice that she continued to watch them through what looked to be the kitchen window. 

"She seemed nice," Akari sighed sadly as he grabbed a ladder, leaned it against an apple tree, and began climbing it. 

"Yea," Alec laughed and shook his head before holding the ladder still. After filling one basket they decided to move even further into the orchard for some privacy. 

"Do you think..." Akari began but shook his head. 

"Say it," Alec encouraged and grabbed Akari's arm. "Don't be afraid."

"Do you think it would have been better to keep us a secret? So people wouldn't be hateful I mean," Akari glanced down, but Alex slid a finger under his chin and locked gazes with him. 

"Nothing in this world makes me want to stop showing my love towards you," a smile blossomed on both of their lips as Alec leaned in to kiss Akari's forehead.

“Thank you,” Akari whispered and handed him the empty basket. “Your turn!” 

“Oh, no thanks,” sweat began gleaming on Alec’s brow, his fear of height being obvious. 

“Babe, you won’t get anywhere in life if you don’t stand up to your fears and beat them down,” Akari demonstrated by punching downwards, making Alec laugh with a hearty chuckle. 

“Okay fine but if I fall, I’m going to have a serious talk with you,” Alec pointedly looked at his boyfriend before gulping as he started to climb the ladder, empty basket in one hand he leaned over to pick an apple and gasped. 

Fall had made a full appearance. The trees wore bright red and orange leaves. The sun hid behind distant mountains, making the clouds turn a pretty sunset orange. 

“What's the matter, babe?” Akari asked, his voice dripping with concern. 

“It’s beautiful,” Alec whispered. Akari stayed quiet to let Alec enjoy the moment. 

After picking one last apple, Alec began climbing down. His breathing hitched as the grass began to blur in dizzying speed. He had to look up or he was going to faint, but his eyes couldn’t leave the ground. Wouldn’t.

“Breathe,” Akari said in a calm voice, steadying Alec’s nerves only a tiny bit. But it broke him out of his trance and he squeezed his eyes shut. “Step down slowly, I got you,” Alec knew if he fell Akari could easily catch and save him. 

Finally, he reached the ground and set the basket on the deadened grass. “I’m. Never. Doing. That. Again,” Alec said between clenched teeth. 

“I’m sorry,” Akari whispered and wrapped his muscled arms around Alec’s thick waste. “I shouldn’t have made you do that.” 

Alec, still in despair, hid his face against his boyfriend's neck. Akari’s lips gently brushed Alec’s neck in a gentle caress, instantly calming him down. 

“It’s okay,” Alec finally murmured. “It’s getting dark we should go.”

“Um, no,” Akari laughed and drug Alex to the ground to look up at the sky. Stars were beginning to shimmer in the dark, they were clear as there were no city lights to cover up their beauty. The clouds seemed to have disappeared, allowing them to get an even better look at the stars and half-moon. “You paid $30 for a trip that was supposed to be free, we’re not allowing them to rip us off,” he says as he handed Alec an apple. 

“How did you know?” Alec asked, puzzled. The trip had been a surprise or was supposed to be. 

“There’s a sign outside of the house,” Akari replies before biting into his apple. “This date was amazing, thank you.” 

Alec didn’t reply, instead, he laid his head on Akari’s shoulder and dozed off. This had been a trip of happiness for the couple. 

October 16, 2020 03:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.