0 comments

Coming of Age Drama Fiction

Escape From Pitcarin Island

Suzanne Marsh

“Grab that damn kid and let’s get movin!”

“I can not go with you! My family is here. I agreed to help you find parts of the island

for whatever you were doing. I will not leave my beloved Pitcairn for you are anyone

else!”

“Shut your mouth boy before I shut it for you.”

They shoved him toward the yacht they had arrived on two weeks earlier. It was laden with historical documents stolen from the archives of Pitcarin Island’s municipal building. The archives contained the personal history of the men of the HMS Bounty. The archives provided proof of the death of Christian Fletcher and the rise of John Adams. No one would miss the archives or the kid. The yacht Cassandra, sailed the following morning with the tide.

“What in the hell are you going to do with that kid? We have him tied up in the brig.”

“I am taking him back to England; where he belongs, Pitcairn is no place for a kid

with his talent for stealing things. He could make us rich before he finally figures out

a way escape.”

“Geez boss; that could be a long time from now. That kid is what eight or nine?”

“Until that time Ackers, he will be of use to us in gathering historical papers that

we can ransom for millions.”

“Ya got a good point boss.”

“That Ackers is why I am the boss.”

Ohoo listened for foot steps; he knew that once the Cassandra sailed he would be lost to Pitcairn. The world, his world would vanish forever. He would not forget Pitcairn nor his family.

The yacht Cassandra stopped in Sydney, Australia for provisions. Ohoo, was allowed up on deck for several minutes then he was taken below. They could not risk him escaping in Sydney; he would not doubt inform the authorities of the stolen documents.

Ohoo sat thinking of his island of Pitcairn, of the sea breezes, the blue of the water, the green of the island. Ohoo, wondered what his Mama and Dad would think when they discovered him missing; he was sorry he had ever gotten mixed up with Ackers and his boss Honcho. He was not sure that Honcho was the man’s real name. It was to late; looking back only made matters worse not better.

Once the Cassandra upped anchor Ohoo was allowed back on deck. He asked Ackers how long it might be before they sighted land again. Ackers had no answer other than London was a long was away. The Cassandra was on course for London; just sit tight was all the answer Ohoo was given.

The radar on the Cassandra showed moderate squalls on the horizon. The Cassandra, it seemed was a sea worthy vessel; she withstood the storm. Ohoo, saw the sun early on the morning of October 10th, he noticed land. They sailed up the Thames into port. The Thames was a dirty river not crystal clear like the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River. The smell of London, nothing like Pitcairn where the air was still clean. No one had cars just ATV’s for getting from one end of the island to the other.

This was a miserable dirty place that they had brought him to. Ohoo, felt like crying but instead he did what he was told. He knew sooner or later they would turn their backs; he would escape and return to Pitcairn Island. He could not understand how people could live in London, it was not a good place. Ackers, motioned him to stand up and follow. No chance for escape here. He would just have to bide his time. Ackers, Honcho and Ohoo walked quickly away from the wharves toward the center of London. There stood a large red brick building, Ohoo thought perhaps this was where they lived but as it turned out it was The Flying Dutchman Pub. Ackers, Honcho and Ohoo entered the pub. The men ordered ale with fish and chips; Ohoo ordered fish, the did not have any other dishes that appealed to him including the chips.

When Ackers and Honcho had finished their meal, they told Ohoo to hurry. They walked down the dark alleys of London. Moving quickly toward their flat in Chelsea. The hair on the back of Ohoo’s neck stood on end, this place was not a good place he decided.

The following morning, he was roused out of bed by Ackers:

“Come on sport, up you get. We are goin to the British Library today.”

“What is...a...libery?”

“No sport a library, that is where you can find all sorts of books and historical material.”

“Oh I see.”

He didn’t but he knew better than to anger Ackers, he did not wish to be slapped about again. He would do as he was told. Sooner or later someone would rescue him; he had to hold onto that hope.

He thought about Pitcairn where there was no violence; everyone obeyed the law. Crime was laughable, in fact the last crime that was committed was the theft of Mrs. Terwinkle’s dog, a most annoying creature that howled in the night. He knew that no one had ever figured out what happened to the dog. He knew that his Uncle and his mate had done something just not what. However it was much more peaceful once the dog disappeared. He thought maybe if he made enough noise someone would help him; no such luck, this disgusting flat was no place for anyone or anything.

Honcho, told him he wanted to steal the Manga Carta which was located in the British Library. It would not be difficult, all he had to do was crawl on his belly under a laser beam yank the Manga Carta, come out the way he came in: all would be good. They planned to ransom the Manga Carta for at least twenty million pounds. They would be wealthy. Ohoo, didn’t care about money, although perhaps if he had some he could return to his beloved Pitcairn. He thought about the documents with Christian Fletcher’s signature, he hoped he could steal them and return them to their rightful home.

Time went on, Ohoo, had found that if he did what Ackers and Honcho asked he would survive. He had stolen many pieces of history over the years. He was now twenty one; it was time to return to Pitcarin Island, his home. He still thought about the beauty of the deep blue river, all the times he swam there. Of the lush green grass there. The waiting for the yacht Pancho to bring food supplies and gasoline for the generators. Here in London there was no such thing as losing electricity. Ackers had taken him to see some of the huge grids in London. He had marveled at those.

Ackers, was beginning to think about how to return Ohoo to Pitcairn Island, he knew Honcho was not about to release the young man, he had made Honcho to much money. On a calm summer afternoon, Ackers and Ohoo were sitting quietly on a bench in the park:

“Ohoo, I been thinking about a lot of things I have done that I regret. I did you a grave injustice

doing what Honcho ordered me to do. I think I have a way to return you to your home on

Pitcairn Island.”

“Ackers, there is no way Honcho is every going to let me return home. I am to valuable to him

here in London. If he thought I was running away he would kill me, he has told me that many

times over they years.”

“Ohoo, I have a plan. Next time we go out, we will purchase something to knock Honcho out.

Once he is out, we leave. There is a yacht sailing for Australia tomorrow night; plan to be

on it.”

Ohoo, was suspicious he wanted to trust Ackers but what if something went wrong, they would both be dead.

“All right Ackers, lets do it.”

“Okay Ohoo, we will stop by the apothecary grab some sleeping pills or powders depending

on what they have.”

Ohoo, could only envision Pitcairn Island as he had left it. The river, the cliffs the gentle summer breezes. Home, it had been twelve long years; finally he would gain his freedom. Later that evening Honcho had several ales, the last one Ackers put in the sleeping powders, mixed it carefully; handing it to Honcho.

Honcho, passed out immediately, Ackers was not sure if it was the ten pints he drank or the actual sleeping powders. It made no difference; he was out cold. Ackers, motioned Ohoo to grab the few items he had stored in his bag. They walked quietly out into the stillness of the dark night and freedom.

They reached the wharves early. The yacht Pancho was at anchor out in the Thames. They found a small dingy and rowed out to the yacht. They climbed aboard asking to speak to the captain:

“Sir” began Ackers.

“Me and the kid here heard that you was lookin for two men for the crew. We certainly are

experienced.”

The captain eyed them up and down; they both seemed upright, he definitely needed two more crew members for his crew:

“All right the two of you are hired. The young man here can work in the galley, as for you

you can work with the crew wherever you are needed.”

“Thank you captain.”

Both men sighed a sigh of relief; two hours later the Pancho upped anchor, followed the Thames out into the Atlantic Ocean, her course heading south. Less than two weeks later Ackers and Ohoo were in New Zealand, several more weeks and finally Ohoo was home on Pitcairn. He was broken hearted to discover his Mum and Da has passed away. Ackers was a good substitute for his Da he thought. Ackers had gotten him home to his beloved Island.

Adamsville, Pitcairn Island

Ohoo and Ackers promptly went to the police and informed them of the crimes that they had been forced to take part in. Ackers testified that if he and Ohoo had not done as Honcho ordered both of them would be dead. The police notified the London Bobbies of the crime. Honcho was arrested, and is doing time in HMP Belmarsh and plotting revenge against Ackers and Ohoo.

March 05, 2021 22:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.