Contest #198 shortlist ⭐️

The Disciple

Submitted into Contest #198 in response to: Write a story about an unconventional teacher.... view prompt

42 comments

Contemporary Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

She’d suspected the past several hours it would happen at the river. Little pieces of it had been settling on top of her head all day till they formed something long and sharp and heavy so that she thought everyone must be able to see it. First thing Wednesday morning she found herself standing outside the CITGO with a pack of Marlboros in one hand and three-dollars-fifty-six-change clenched in the other, the paper wilting and the coins slipping in her sweat. She was staring at a man in a dark sweatshirt and dirty beard getting on a bike – a meth head like many of the county residents – with tears streaming down her face. I love you she wanted to say, I hope all your dreams come true she needed to tell him. It was the most important thing in the world, like she had been born for that exact moment in time. He did not see her and rode off on the main road but the elation did not cease.


When she walked home every face she passed loomed large and beautiful and painfully familiar before her. The traffic lights swung in perfect, delicate arcs above the poorly paved intersections where paint peeled from the sides of beat-up trucks in patterns both unknown and intimately knowing, spelling words in a secret language she’d once been able to understand. 


The face of the house her mother rented hung dog-heavy and brown, kitty-corner from the Methodist church. Her insides tightened to a peach pit. She could feel her blood beating in her intestines. This was not a happy place – this place where she’d felt hunger more often than not, where she’d been a stranger to the four walls and the floor her whole life. Where the welfare people had come and left and where they’d stolen her own child once she had one. No, the house did not belong to her. She did not belong to the house.


She sat on the plastic lawn chair and lit up. The screen door slammed but she did not turn around even when her mother started screaming. She kept her eyes across the street at the dilapidated food shack no one owned anymore. She couldn’t scream even if she had something to scream. He said he wants to see me she muttered, he’s waiting he wants to see me we’re going fishing I waited for him. The oak tree like an overgrown sheepdog seemed to shudder. When she reached the last of the pack she would leave. 


Her hands were trembling.


***


The trails her grandfather had taught her to follow appeared to thicken with growth. Her senses were dazed yet heightened. Each of the six petals on each of the stars-of-Bethlehem stood out starkly white against the walls of green and brown rising on either side. The trills of red-winged blackbirds shot through her. He’d taught her these names once, taken up her hand to cup the precious blossoms, held them to her face to smell; touched her hands to broken robin’s eggs to marvel at the impossible shade of blue. He knew everything. 


She caught her foot on a tree root and stumbled.


The lake came first. They liked to fish at the end of the dock but sometimes there was someone else already there. He taught her to spool a reel and cast bait right there with his big bare feet dangling just beneath the glittering surface. Bluegills were her favorite to catch. He showed her how to cut and fry filets. Their bones were barely thicker than human hair, and they had more bones than any self-respecting fish would ever need to get around. She’d told him that once and he’d laughed. 


She sat at the end of the dock and waited a while but he didn’t come.


She left the dock and moved unsteadily toward the beach. Sometimes too they’d sit on the grassy outcropping a couple feet above where the waves met the sand. She lay on her side and let the lake lap at her hand like a puppy. The undulation of the shallows gave the illusion that not the water but the earth was breathing, rapid shallow breaths like a newborn baby, with highways of minnows crisscrossing but never colliding.


Those divots are sunfish nests he’d say. They like the shallows. Just like most people. But not like me or you.


Not like me or you she’d echo. She’d thought it often since then. Me and you. Not like her mother who’d been giving her second-hand highs since she was born. Not like her mother’s boyfriends who’d bitch about how much she ate and the cost of raising a child. They’d beat her for wetting the bed; one of them laughed at her when she got her first period in the fifth grade, bawling her eyes out with nowhere to bleed. Me and you, Grandpa.


Slowly she rolled onto her back and gazed at the clouds moving across the sky like trout in their own blue sea. Cumulus she remembered. No rain. Be grateful for the days without rain.


She had to keep walking. 


She was crying as she followed the curve of the lake and re-entered the woods where they met the river. She was following it to a sacred place, the place where her grandfather was urging her. The sun caught at stray leaves and bestowed a strange significance on each blade and vein. How much further? 


Suddenly she saw him. He was in the middle of the river, up to his waist, beckoning to her.


***


HILLSDALE COUNTY, MI -- A Hillsdale woman drowned last Wednesday evening, police say.


Harper Leanne Mitchell, 26, was found at about 6:20 p.m. on May 10, 2023 in the St. Joseph River. She was pronounced dead at the scene.


Mitchell was known to suffer from both generalized and focal epilepsy and is suspected to have walked into the river where she had a seizure, resulting in her drowning. Mitchells mother Krystal Homer, 49, stated that Mitchell had stopped taking anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs) and had recently become difficult to manage.


Homer claims Mitchell told her she was receiving communications from her late grandfather, Paul Homer, and had left their shared home that afternoon in an agitated state. Paul Homer drowned in 2008 near the same place in the river where Mitchell was found.


Though Mitchell was also known to suffer from unmedicated bipolar disorder she was not previously known to experience delusions. The case is still under investigation.

May 20, 2023 02:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

Zack Powell
03:56 May 20, 2023

First, Katy, it's nice to see your name on here again. I literally just went back to your winning story earlier this week, so when I saw this in my activity feed, it gave me a little bit of a jump scare (in a good way, of course). Second: To answer your author's note question, I personally prefer the article as it is now, at the end of the piece. It's subjective, of course, but I think a story like this benefits more from having the subtle clues confirmed at the end (I was already suspecting and inferring some of the mental health stuff jus...

Reply

Katy B
14:42 May 22, 2023

Thank you, Zack! I'm very interested in toeing the line between poetry and prose (I mostly write poetry) so it's great to hear that came through in the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:18 May 29, 2023

This so beautiful and so evocative of the pain in the lives of some people who just can’t get a break. There are too many perfect lines to go over, but the « not like you and me » packs so much meaning into such a simple phrase. I love the way her elation at believing her grandfather contacted her makes her wish joy for every passing stranger, no matter how shady. I love the call of country life as the antidote to all the other unwholesomeness in her life. This is a glorious story. Congrats on the shortlist

Reply

Katy B
16:05 May 29, 2023

Thank you for the glowing words, Anne! I really appreciate the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
09:03 May 28, 2023

Ou voice has magic of its own. Fine fork. Congrats.

Reply

Katy B
17:38 May 28, 2023

Thank you so much, Philip!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
07:53 May 29, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
15:11 May 27, 2023

Congratulations on being shortlisted, Katy. I enjoyed reading this a lot. Beautifully written with some really nice imagery. Just the right level of description to give a really powerful sense of place. The way you build the relationship with her grandfather is as sweet as it is tragic. Really well done.

Reply

Katy B
15:48 May 27, 2023

Thank you so much for the kind words, Chris!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
11:03 May 27, 2023

Congrats, Katy! so happy to see another story from you. I love your writing, you have a really beautiful way of describing things. Loved this line; -The traffic lights swung in perfect, delicate arcs above the poorly paved intersections where paint peeled from the sides of beat-up trucks in patterns both unknown and intimately knowing, spelling words in a secret language she’d once been able to understand. - just takes you into the scene and her mind so deeply. I also loved how you gave just enough information to create a picture of her l...

Reply

Katy B
13:12 May 27, 2023

Thank you for the lovely comment, Kelsey! I'm glad to be back and I hope to see more from you soon too :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Catherine Hudson
18:42 May 26, 2023

Very poetic. Congratulations. Admirable. (Might I ever write like that).

Reply

Katy B
18:48 May 26, 2023

Thank you for the kind words, Catherine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:40 May 26, 2023

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Reply

Katy B
16:02 May 26, 2023

To you, as well! I wasn't expecting to do so well this week and almost didn't submit, but I'm glad I did :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:37 May 25, 2023

Powerful stuff Katy. Great imagery and the grandfather relationship very nicely shown. Very nice

Reply

Katy B
19:58 May 25, 2023

Thank you for the kind comment, Derrick!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Hurd
16:03 May 25, 2023

This is really beautifully written—I love your style of prose and the tone throughout. Aching and visceral. Something reminiscent to Kate Chopin's The Awakening for me. I found myself easily caught up in your sensory images, and I was pleasantly surprised at the end by the MI setting because the piece was giving me Michigan vibes (where I live)! At times it wasn't entirely clear to my what Harper was experiencing, but the news story explanation at the end pulled everything together. I do love an unreliable narrator and the general confusion...

Reply

Katy B
19:57 May 25, 2023

Thank you so much for the kind words, Sarah! I am also from MI and enjoyed writing about it this week :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:09 May 24, 2023

Hi Katy This story gives us insight onto the state of the MC’s mind which is clearly unsettled. There are poignant flashbacks to her past. The ending seems stark and factual, but that makes for a good contrast. I was thinking she was going to drown herself deliberately, but it could be open to interpretation. It held my attention throughout and the almost poetic descriptions of the land pulled me into the story.

Reply

Katy B
01:45 May 25, 2023

Thank you so much for the kind and thoughtful comment, Helen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:39 May 24, 2023

You brought us into the mind of a person having an emotional moment. Amazing descriptions of her internal thoughts and the outer world. Very vivid scene with lines like "The trills of red-winged blackbirds shot through her." One of my aunts would have episodes like this when she stopped taking medication, so its very relatable. I was slightly confused for a while after "staring at a man in a dark sweatshirt" if this was a romance story, maybe a hint that that guy is just a random person and not someone important to the story might have made ...

Reply

Katy B
03:45 May 24, 2023

Thank you so much, Scott! I enjoyed your story immensely this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:35 May 23, 2023

Goodness, what a fantastic read! The hot, run-down setting, the distress Harper feels but can't quite articulate, the elation driving her, it all comes across wonderfully. Critique-wise, I like many of the descriptions ("peach pit", etc.) and the way it’s written is a wonderful perspective, where we kind of get Harper's stream of consciousness as she goes about her day. It ties together the present with the past and her musings. I get a visceral sense of frustration from her, and then relief. For the article, I'm inclined to agree with t...

Reply

Katy B
02:06 May 24, 2023

Thank you so much for the kind words and the great feedback!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:09 May 26, 2023

Congrats, Katy! A well put-together story deserving recognition :)

Reply

Katy B
21:11 May 26, 2023

Thank you -- I was surprised to do so well this week! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:52 May 23, 2023

You are on obviously a pro. Amazing imagery etc. Peach pit perfect.

Reply

Katy B
16:37 May 23, 2023

Thank you, Mary! I enjoyed your story "The Alternate" this week :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:40 May 23, 2023

🙏 Thanks. Congrats on the shortlist win Just knew it was good when I read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
04:21 May 23, 2023

Congratulations on your turning a graduate, Katy! And it’s good to have you back. This piece is stunning for its quality of seemingly incoherent details coming together to form a gripping tale. A perfect voice for the protagonist. Best of luck!

Reply

Katy B
01:45 May 25, 2023

Thank you for the lovely reply, Suma!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
05:25 May 22, 2023

Clapping

Reply

Katy B
14:40 May 22, 2023

Much appreciated! 👏

Reply

Tommy Goround
00:59 Jun 12, 2023

Still memorable. Good. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
19:05 May 20, 2023

Katy B, I prefer your article at the end of the story. It is fitting and adds to the story better at the end because of the clues you drop in smatterings throughout the story. Most people reading would suspect some kind of issue with Harper Leanne Mitchell earlier in the story at some point. Not being aware of the epilepsy allowed for readers to simply focus on the mental health aspect. The story of her grandfather dying in the same place and then beckoning to her to come to him almost like a Christ like figure was a powerful image. ...

Reply

Katy B
14:39 May 22, 2023

Thank you for the kind and thoughtful response! I'm so glad to hear that the scene is powerful for you.

Reply

Lily Finch
15:39 May 22, 2023

You are welcome. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
21:18 Jun 17, 2023

Hey Katy! Congratulations on this well deserved short list! I am a sucker for a story who reveals the unreliable narrator right at the very end. I think that you handled the mental health conversation around this piece very well, and kept delicate while also being very clear about the impact for this protagonist. I loved the way that your language immediately shifted at the end, and I felt like I was dancing in a dream with your main character for the first portion of it. Nice work!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Steve Uppendahl
17:14 Jun 14, 2023

Very powerful and moving story. Well done! The flawed protagonist is very real and relatable for many, I think. You did a great job going back and forth with her strong emotions tied to memories of her mom and grandfather. Good job connecting the protagonist with the grandpa. So many times a grandparent is the strongest parent for a child, especially a troubled one. Dealing with any mental illness in writing can be a tough row to hoe. You handled it well. Write on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aeris Walker
14:02 Jun 08, 2023

Great story, Katy! I love how subtly and naturally you reveal details about Harper's life, and the language you use to describe such a sad childhood is haunting. It pulled me in right away. Congratulations on your shortlist! Some favorite lines: "The face of the house her mother rented hung dog-heavy and brown, kitty-corner from the Methodist church. Her insides tightened to a peach pit." "Their bones were barely thicker than human hair, and they had more bones than any self-respecting fish would ever need to get around. She’d told him t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Katy B
02:32 May 20, 2023

I'm finally a college graduate and have some more time to write! Any advice on whether I should begin the story with the article rather than end it that way? EXPANDED EDIT: This story was inspired by my time living in rural Michigan, where I have spent the bulk of my life. I decided to take on a theme common to Flannery O'Connor, Virginia Woolf, and Fyodor Dostoevsky (which are of course impossibly large shoes to fill): is "neurotypical" really normative? Or are there spiritual realities and genuine insights that those who are labelled "def...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.