0 comments

Contemporary Romance Science Fiction

“...be sure to stick around tonight and get ready with your telescopes for the once-in-a-lifetime green comet also known as the C twe-” I groaned as I shut off the radio. I was in no mood to listen to anything right now. Cold, hungry and alone in my tent, I stared ahead at the telescope I borrowed from my dad, that was set up just before the cliff near our campground.

If only he’d shown up.

Cuddling further into the blanket wrapped around me, I slouched down as I reached for my flask of hot chocolate. Flinching at the touch of the cold metal, I opened it slowly, my hands shivering. I neared the flask to my mouth to take a sip. Beep beep!

My phone chimed, making me jump and spill a little hot chocolate on my shirt. Of course. I squinted my eyes looking at the bright light as I picked up the call. “Hello?”

“Hey Kat! I swear I’m not late! I just got -”

“Al, you were supposed to be here hours ago,” I yelled into the phone. “With food!”

Alfie snickered into the phone. “I just got caught up at work. I swear I’ll be there soon.” He calmed his panicked tone as he breathed into the phone. “With food.” He laughed.

I smiled. “You’re gonna have to make it up to me, you know.” I could hear his hurried footsteps running through the phone, along with what I assume to be takeout in plastic bags.

“I have a couple o-of ideas.” He panted. His surroundings got quieter as I heard a door slam. He must be home. “Chinese takeout and warm double chocolate brownies, it is. Just gotta pick them up from home and I’m there in fifteen minutes.”

“Stop talking about food! I’m hungry!”

“Okay, okay. I’ll see you there.” He sighed indicating something was wrong, but I didn’t read too much into it. At the most, I wasn’t getting my brownies. I mentally laughed at the thought. “Oh, and Happy Anniversary.”

“Happy Anniversary!” I whined as he cut the call.

It was the one year anniversary of our first date, which coincided perfectly with the comet sighting. We’ve been planning this for weeks. Movie and dinner followed by a night camping in the woods under the stars, toasting marshmallows. It was supposed to be romantic.

But plans change. I had to stay back after school for an exam I missed which cancelled the movie. Alfie got a shift change for work after school, so that postponed and later, pretty much cancelled dinner. I sighed as my mind ran over the hell of a week we had.

I got my blanket off and walked outside. I checked my phone for the time. It was almost time for the comet to pass by and Alfie still wasn’t here. This was the one thing I was hoping would go perfectly.

Walking back to the tent, I grabbed the half-eaten packet of marshmallows and walked back to look into the telescope. I got hungry. What was I supposed to do? He was the one getting the food. A girl can’t live on marshmallows alone.

I picked up my phone to call him again. He’s going to miss it. The phone rang but he wasn’t picking up. I sat down near the telescope, on the cold grass, hugging my knees to keep warm. Looking through the telescope, I was adamant to find it. I followed all the papers and research we’d done and set it up to the right angles.

And there I saw it. The faint green glow of the white and yellow snowball that raced through the stars. Beautiful wasn’t the word to describe it. Neither was magical. I couldn’t put into words how amazing it felt. I’m not really into astronomy

I wish Alfie were here.’ I thought to myself, looking as it phased through my view. Is it weird to wish on a comet? It’s kinda like a shooting star right? Not exactly, obviously, but I’m going with it.

It was soon all over. And just like that, it was out of view for another fifty thousand years. I started taking down the telescope to pack up. Well, this was the worst anniversary ever. I can’t completely blame Alfie, but can’t help being mad at him either.

“Kat!” I turned around almost immediately to find Alfie standing there in his dark winter coat. His chestnut brown hair was ruffled and sweat was starting to bead at his forehead indicating his rushed run here. “I’m h-here.” He managed to sputter out, as he let the plastic bag filled with food gently on the ground.

I gave him a pout and walked the telescope back to the tent. “Oh, come on. D-don’t be like that..” He bent over, hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. “Just g-give me a couple of m-minutes.”

The aroma of the food scented the air and I felt the hunger creep up all over again. But I’m mad at him! Stick to your gut!

But brownies!’ My inner voice whined. I could smell his mom’s famously rich chocolate brownies and my mouth instantly started watering.

Be cool! Be cool!’ I chanted to myself, walking back. He grabbed my waist from behind and engulfed me in a hug.

“I’m really sorry I’m late.”

“You missed it.”

He sighed and I shuddered as his warm breath tickled my ear. “I know. I’m sorry,” He apologized again. “I can explain.”

“I know, I know. You were working. I’m not mad, just -”

“It’s not that.” He interrupted. He squeezed tighter and I felt him tense up. “There’s something I’ve been wanting to tell you.” He released his grip, breathing heavily. “And now’s a better time than any. I think it’s time you know the truth.”

Still in his arms, I slid to turn around, but he stopped me. “Not yet.”

“Alfie, you’re scaring me.” I mumbled in fear, starting to worry about whatever was coming next.

“I promise I won’t ever hurt you.” He let go of me and stepped back. “Don’t turn around yet, and it’s a lot to ask, but don’t freak out.”

Standing still, I could feel my body shaking, now out of fear more than the cold. I looked down at the ground, praying this wasn’t going to be bad. A faint green light struggled to beam behind me. What’s happening here?

I turned around instantly, not caring for his objections. My eyes widened. “W-wha-” I struggled to get the words out. Alfie was standing there, his eyes glowing a neon green. His skin was covered in veiny, glowing streaks as they ran up his arms and up his neck. I stepped back. Alien? Monster? I didn’t know what I was seeing, let alone understand it.

“Alfie?”

“Yeah, Kat. It’s me.” His voice strained out. He stepped forward and I instinctively moved back. “Kat, I won’t hurt you.” He stepped forward again.

“Don’t!” I shouted. “What are you?” I couldn’t help but stare as he took off his coat. The green glow seeped through his shirt. How was he not freezing at this point?

He slowly laid his jacket on the ground. “I swear to you, I wouldn’t hurt you.” He slowly stepped towards me. “Kat, you know that, right?” I gulped.

“A part of that comet lives within me.” He said. What? “No, I’m not an alien, not that I know anyway. I don’t know what I am. But it’s why I couldn’t be here tonight.” He inched closer. “My parents wanted me to stay out of view. My parents said they could’ve found us. It wasn’t work.” He explained. “And I don’t know who they are either.”

I stood still. I knew he wasn’t going to do anything but this is too much to take in. I don’t know what to do, or what to say. What should I do? “I’m still the same Alfie.” He was right in front of me now, so close I could feel his warmth. I looked down at the ground. He took my hand. “I just wanted you to know. It probably wasn’t the right thing, and if you wanna break up, I’d get it. But I hope you don’t.” He sighed.

“Because I love you.”

Tilting my head up, I looked at him. I couldn’t believe he said it. I didn’t know how to respond and my mind just went blank. I was speechless.

His eyes were back to the same blue-grey colour. He looked into my eyes as if searching my mind, while moving his hand to caress my cheek. I flinched at the touch but didn’t move my gaze. Some part of me ached to kiss him right now, as the glow coming off him diffused.

I didn’t know whether to walk away but standing there eased into a comfortable silence. He neared me, constantly glancing into my eyes looking for any signs to stop. But I wanted it. I automatically closed off the distance between our lips as our lips moved into a passionate kiss.

We pulled away after a while, and I bit my lip, smiling. He grinned. “You haven’t said it back.”

“Food first.” I pouted teasingly as we both started laughing. He pulled me in and embraced me in another comfortable hug.

“Always ready to ruin the moment, aren’t you?”

March 31, 2023 15:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.