22 comments

African American Sad Christian

I Heard Your Voice as clear as day as I lay silently in my bed reflecting on your recent passing. Tears are slowly sliding down my face as I fight through the pain of losing you so young. I’m sitting here evoking on your laughter, your smile, and your touch. You were the favored brother who consistently made the entire family chuckle. You left your lasting impression on everyone when God decided to call you home. I heard your voice ringing in my ear over and over again, saying God, this pain is overwhelmingly excruciating and piercing. I’m sick and tired of seeing this hospital bed every couple of weeks, I’ve been here practically all my life. In and out of infirmaries has become a normal life for me that I did not ask for. God, how can I return this pain to the sender? I’m not ready for this journey, in fact, I’m not willing to become a special case. I’ve been through multiple surgeries, dialyzed, heart attacks, amputations, a stroke and ultimately coding many times. I’ve also survived the Covid 19 pandemic which caused my health to decline at a rate that ultimately set me back into position where I’ve become once again dialyzed three times a week, I’m back to square one again. Lord, I’m tired but I refuse to leave my family behind. I’m torn between hurting in this broken body and departing. What would my mother do without me? How will she survive without her child leaving her all alone? Mother, I’ve done all I can here, I’m tired, my soul needs to rest. I’m screaming inside without a sound; tugging at the sheets asking God to heal me! I see everything and yet I hear nothing until the day God whispered softly, “It is Finished”. The sound faded, as the sheets uncover my body that once protected me, thunder followed as the pain suddenly die away. Abruptly, I encountered an outer body experience that caused a powerful gush of wind to gently elevate my frame, transporting me above the clouds, passed the golden gates, up the steps into a heavenly world I could only dream about. 


It’s bright, it’s warm and it’s beautiful! I can’t believe I’m standing here without a cane, walker, or a wheelchair. My legs, feet and kidneys were returned just like the day they were given by God. My heart has been healed; open-heart surgery is no longer a need; my arteries are working again! I haven’t felt like this in years, I can run, jump, and play sports again without the risk of injury. I’m in a place that’s not familiar, I look around to see my ancestors from a long time ago whom I’ve never met but somehow remember. How is this possible? I heard your voice from a distance, the voice of a spirit who I recognized in a dream not too long ago. This voice was soft, gentle, and kind. He whispered; “I called you to suffer no more”. I looked into God’s eyes as he said, “It Is Finished”. Everyone is happy to see me, I see my aunt, uncles, friends, and my dear sister. I’m traveling home to a safe place, a place where there is no suffering, no doctors, no treatments, no appointments, and no fear. I’m journeying through this dark tunnel that has no end. It’s completely dark here but I’m not afraid, a path to a world of the unknown. It’s similar to traveling in time but my time here is no more. Is it still time? Or is it eternity? I’m stuck in the middle between both worlds until I pass through this tunnel. I must make it to the end, I’m tired but God please give me the strength to continue this journey once more. I can see a bright light just pass the crossing; I think I made it to the end, I see it, it’s absolutely gorgeous. I’ve never seen anything like it in my life. God has given me the ability to view my past once more before my transition.


God has granted me the ability to see my entire family together again near and far for the very last time. What a beautiful sight to see. I witnessed the gathering of my funeral, it was in the form of my favorite football team, “The Dallas Cowboys”. Blue and Silver was the theme, I watched my beautiful wife, daughters, nieces, nephews’, grandchildren, friends, and my mom who is sitting at the end of the first row crying out to her son. My heart is breaking into a thousand pieces to see my mother falling apart like this. She was my first love who taught me how to love. The hurt I saw in her face was the pain of losing a child the prior year still fresh in her spirit. That kind of pain is indescribable. I wish I could hug my mother one last time to let her know I’m okay and I’m finally home. As I continued looking around, I saw the impact of grief throughout the church, the homegoing service was as beautiful as the kind words expressed. I heard my brother singing my favorite song, my two beautiful daughters expressing their love so passionately, a sister who conveyed a poem so spiritually profound it left a gasp in the room. I heard the cries of people who were near and dear to my heart, a love that will last a lifetime. As the service concluded, I witnessed my casket rolling out of the church into the hearse with the family nearby. The cars were in sync following behind the hearse with lights on and driven to the cemetery where closing remarks were sympathetically expressed before my departure. One by one, I saw beautiful flowers placed on the casket, around the casket and in front of the casket with my favorite Dallas Cowboy colors. Once I was lowered into my eternal resting place, the voices slowly faded away.


By Elouise D. Woodard

August 27, 2023 12:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Reva E Mosley
17:05 Sep 05, 2023

I very much enjoyed this short story of pain and deliverance. It reminded me of my mom who no longer wanted to be here in this world. She said she wanted and needed to be with Jesus, and she left to go home with him during that very night. When you talked about the dark tunnel it reminded me of my own death experience the only difference is your brother continued forward and I came back. I loved the fact that your writing gave me a visual picture. Awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jermaine Wilson
14:22 Sep 03, 2023

Captivating and powerful! What a story of life, love and final triumph. You made us feel both the coldness of suffering and death, but the warmth and joy of eternal life and peace.

Reply

Reva E Mosley
17:07 Sep 05, 2023

I agree.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lakesha T
16:59 Sep 13, 2023

This was sad yet... So beautiful. I was on the brink of sobbing. Death is scary and many try to rationalize it or give it meaning but it simply is what it is. Lovely story great work. 🥲

Reply

Show 0 replies
Britney Woodard
05:34 Sep 09, 2023

This is a very powerful piece mommy. You are very articulate when it comes to expressing yourself through your writing, it’s natural. I enjoy how much emotion you feel while reading your work, allowing others to feel empathetic and feel those emotions with you as we read along. You are beyond inspirational and your words are captivating. I really enjoyed reading your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Edward Reed
23:32 Sep 07, 2023

This was so moving! Details and descriptions draw you in for an emotional ride. Loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amira Holiday
23:03 Sep 07, 2023

This is such a beautiful and power story. I can visualize every detail, as if I’m there. Sharing this this with my friends and family so they enjoy this amazing story !

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:34 Sep 07, 2023

Your writing is so inspirational and well written, you always know the right words for the right time. Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:05 Sep 07, 2023

Very deep and relatable. Uplifting

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Egbeleye
17:41 Sep 06, 2023

Very fascinating and sobering. This write up is a reminder that this world is not our own, we are all just passing through. Time to live and Time to die.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Josh Sosoo
15:21 Sep 06, 2023

Your story was very inspirational and hit hard but the passion behind your words were sensitive and spiritual. Thank you for sharing, great work!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hugh Patterson
22:10 Sep 05, 2023

Amazingly written, the writer took me on a visual journey, well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Falcore
18:50 Sep 05, 2023

Beautiful story really touched my heart

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gloria Kobodje
12:46 Sep 05, 2023

AWESOME SO INSPIRING.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angelique D
12:09 Sep 05, 2023

Nice job cuz!!! I loved your story, very heart warming and I felt like I was walking right in your shoes while reading this piece. Beautiful writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Terry Moore
00:34 Sep 05, 2023

God's blessings Elouise great job a terric writer your thoughts were so deep and powerful keep up the good work

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kelly Howard
22:37 Sep 04, 2023

The story is very reverting. I love it. It is very touching and heart warming. Love, love, love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gina Reed
22:33 Sep 04, 2023

As usual mom, your writing is so inspirational! Your writing can literally place you in the mist of it all. Well done, as always!

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:13 Sep 04, 2023

Bless you Elouise... your words were somber yet powerful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Howard Woodard
00:36 Sep 04, 2023

I enjoyed your story it brought up feelings of joy and happiness. The feelings that this story brings up I can relate to. Thank you for sharing this story with all of us.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bobby Jackson
22:09 Sep 03, 2023

This story is very captivating a must read to te end !

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.