0 comments

Fiction

Pamela loved her pigtails and often hooked her thumbs behind the straps of her Oshkosh B'gosh coveralls. Whether she knew she was precocious or not could never truly be ascertained. However she was the Apple of Vernon’s eye and had been for the nearly eight and a half years since she had arrived as a late in life baby. Today was certainly no exception!

“I want to keep her,” Pamela stated in her usual tone which simply meant she wouldn't be persuaded otherwise. Vernon’s eyes twinkled. He normally would of just tossed the sleeping baby skunk out the backdoor of the boiler room of the building where Vernon was the super, however Pamela had tagged along and her eyes had widened and brightened at the sight of the tiny black and white creature curled up on some old rags and sleeping peacefully. 

“What will you name him? Pepe le Pew!” Vernon teased. Pamela shook her head, “Certainly Not. She's a Petunia!” Vernon chuckled, “Well we have to go to the library and find what Petunia might like to eat. Then maybe we can entice her to be our friend.”

Vernon and Pamela went down the street to the local library. They went up to the reference librarian and asked, “Where would we find information on care and feeding of baby skunks?” 

The reference Librarian was a big woman with round rimmed glasses who calmly assisted, “Let me look in the system and see what we have available.” Shortly thereafter the Reference Librarian showed Vernon and Pamela to the book stacks and assisted them in locating a book about caring for skunks. “We need to know what to feed it.” Pamela chimed. The reference Librarian flipped to the index in the back of the book to locate what pages were about feeding. Then flipped to page 28. There was the feeding instructions. Feed baby skunk Esbilac powder, available at veterinarian’s offices.

Vernon and Pamela took the book to the checkout counter and borrowed it for 3 weeks. Pamela was happy to tell the library aide that she had her very own skunk. Vernon smiled at the library aide who didn’t really believe Pamela had a skunk but played along thinking it was a child’s game. 

After leaving the library they detoured on the way back to the apartment building and stopped at The Paws and Claws Clinic which had several local veterinarians who worked out of their office. Vernon and Pamela went up to the desk and asked if they could buy some Esbilac powder and a bottle to feed Petunia. The lady behind the desk asked what size? After showing Vernon the vary sizes and prices he settled on the 12 ounce canister and paid the lady for the canister and feeding bottle.

A Veterinarian came out from the back and asked how many baby puppies were they taking care of and Pamela set him straight, “It’s not a puppy it’s a baby skunk!” The vet smiled and said, “Well that's not your everyday pet.”

“Certainly not.” Little Pammy interjected, “Petunia is extraordinary not ordinary.”

The Vet spoke with Vernon a moment telling him that if Petunia was having any problems to feel free to bring her in for a check up.

They headed home. When they arrived it was to mix up the Esbilac powder. Rose, Vernon’s wife, and her sister Estelle were sitting at the kitchen table having coffee.

“What are you two up to?” asked Estelle inquisitively. Vernon cringed when Pamela went straight into explaining that they were about to feed her newest friend and pet, Petunia, the baby skunk! Estelle gasped! “Why on Earth would you be feeding a skunk! Lord have mercy, you can't have vermin in the house!” Pamela’s face twisted up, “Petunia is NOT vermin!” Vernon busied himself making the Esbilac while Rose refereed the argument between her only daughter and one of her six sisters. It ended with Estelle leaving in a huge huff with a parting verbal shot, “I know when I am not wanted and I know I don't want to be anywhere with vermin running loose!” Pamela wailed. Rose was beside herself. 

A short time later, Pamela had pulled herself together and the three of them went down to the boiler room where sweet Petunia was rolling around in a pile of rags. Vernon had the bottle and slowly approached her hoping she didn’t spray him but she seemed to sense she was amongst friends and tentatively sniffed the bottle. Then started to lick the nipple. After a few tastes of milk drops she latched on and began to suck the Esbilac down. Pamela let out a little squeal of joy which startled Petunia for a moment but she didn't spray and after ascertaining Pamela meant no harm she continued her meal. 

After eating her meal Petunia took turns sniffing her new family and being gently petted. Rose had the library book and was intently reading it. They would need to know how to keep a skunk. Now that Petunia showed signs that she was more than happy to be a domesticated house pet to the delight of little Pammy. 

Over the next few days they set up corner training to house train Petunia. They had bought a collar and a leash and were coaxing Petunia into letting them walk her. They walked her over to see, Dr. Jeff, the veterinarian. He examined her and told Vernon that Petunia was missing her scent glands. He didn’t see signs of surgery and believed she may have been born with a defect. Which explained why she'd taken refuge in the boiler room. 

A few days after the vet visit, there was a knock at the door. Vernon opened the door to see a pudgy man in a green uniform with brown trim. A patch on the front of his shirt read DNR. He showed Vernon a badge, “ I'm Phil Jones, Department of Natural Resources. I understand you found a skunk in your basement.” 

“We are keeping her.” Pamela stated matter factly. She startled both Vernon and Phil as neither had seen her approach holding Petunia. Phil not knowing what he was getting into began to explain the official notice, “Young lady it's illegal to keep a wild animal. The skunk has to be released back into the wild.” 

“No! She's my friend. I won't let you take her.” Pamela expounded. Then Phil really made a mistake, “I'll have to arrest you and take that skunk.” Boom! Pamela wailed at the top of her lungs. Crying and sobbing while intermittently screaming No! Phil look stricken. Vernon rubbed his chin and then spoke loudly over the din produced by little Pammy. “Our veterinarian examined Petunia, the skunk, and says she was born with a defect and she is missing her scent glands. Surely the Department of Natural Resources can make an exception for a handicapped skunk. She would be at a disadvantage if released back into the wild unable to defend herself. “ 

Phil rubbed his chin and wished Pamela would stop wailing and crying. He noticed Petunia didn’t spray, she seemed to be staring up at Pamela as bewildered as Phil was. “Erm…if your Vet will sign off on the Skunk’s inability to spray thus being unable to defend herself naturally. I do believe we could make an exception in that case. After all, we’re not animals. We just want what's best for Petunia. “ 

Vernon nodded and he and Phil went over to Dr. Jeff's office where Dr. Jeff signed off on his observations during his examination of Petunia. Phil filled out some forms and told Vernon he would get a document in the mail allowing Pamela to keep Petunia due to her being handicapped and unable to be returned to her natural habitat. 

Vernon came home with the good news only to find his sister-in-law Estelle back. “I thought for sure that the DNR would take that little beast back to the forest. “ “Petunia isn't a beast!”, Pamela defended her tiny black and white friend. Rose calmly reaffirmed, “Petunia is quite well behaved. She hasn't shown any signs of aggression. You will just have to accept that she will be staying.” Estelle huffed, “If she's staying, I'm going.” Estelle brushed past Vernon with a look if disgust. 

Petunia nuzzled Pamela and then laid in her lap to take a nap. Vernon explained to Rose and Pamela what Phil from the DNR said.

Despite the many misgivings of neighbors, friends and family members especially one aunt in particular, the entire town of Downers Grove eventually accepted the enigma of Petunia, the pet skunk.

Play friend of Pamela, as the two were often inseparable. Petunia grew up and eventually ate bugs like nobody's business which made her invaluable to Vernon both inside and out of the apartment building. Pamela loved being the only one of her classmates with such a unique pet. Telling her 3rd grade teacher that cats and dogs were okay but nothing beat having a skunk around the house. 

January 30, 2021 03:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.