The Wedding Shocker

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: Center your story around two people who meet at a wedding.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fiction Romance

The wind picked up speed with stronger gusts whipping the veil from the bride’s head. Gasps stolen by another strong gust. The dull roar tearing the flower arrangements from their vases and scattering them like litter. The strong breeze shaking the cotton wood leaves from their branches. Wedding guests scampered around the rows of seats, heading in the direction of the open field.

 Several ladies stopped to cover their gaping mouths, as their husbands tugged them away from the ceremony. The force of air grabbed the brides carefully arrange locks, tossed them up above her head then whipped the strands across her face. The bride no longer appeared happy, even though only moments before she had said, “I do,” with the man of her dreams.

Another gust hit the people and trees that bordered them on one side. The trees trembled as they lost a branch or two. The snapping and popping trees jolted the remaining persons to head to the field.

Lindsey stumbled through the thick grasses, as it tangled around her boots and skirt. Fearing falling she paused in her haste. Glancing around something caught the corner of her eye.

As if in slow motion, the bridal bouquet flew through the air while its owner, stumbled. Arms flailing into the air wildly. The groom reaching and grabbing his wife as they tried for footing. Their jerky steps took them out. Their bodies madly slamming the ground.

At their landing, the air calmed, only a tickling breeze remained. A screeching wail split the silence. The bride no longer graceful nor the epitome of beauty thrashed on the ground. Her gown hiding her husband beneath the train.

Springing into action, Lindsey rushed towards the newlyweds. A garbled sound emitted from under the dress. The poor man sounded as if he were drowning.

Maybe he was, considering the liquid green mass streaked across the white cloth. Stepping closer Lindsey offered her hand to May, the teary bride, her sister.

“Hold still, May. Frank is trussed up in there.”

May stopped moving around and studied the lump covered by the train. A boot wiggle in the manure, the ooze seeping into the leg of his tuxedo.

“Oh no!” May moaned.

Slowly lifting the gown, uncovering her manure smeared husband May cried louder.

“May, please stop crying,” Frank pleaded, remorse thickened his voice.

Noticing others gathering around the disaster, Lindsey looked at the faces. Recognizing most, she motioned for the bride's closest friends nearer to help their dear friend.

A man held out a hand to Frank. “Come on 'cuz, let's get you up out of this mess.”

The bridesmaids helped the bride from atop the groom. The poor man’s tuxedo was badly wrinkled and covered in the fresh, smelly cow manure.

“Must say this is the worst mess I've helped you out of yet. Steady there, Frank. Are you hurt?”

Frank steadied himself by leaning heavily on the man. His leg giving out, he stumbled nearly taking both men down.

“Whoa there, your leg?” The man asked.

“Yeah, twisted a bit when I slipped in the crap.”

“Oh, Frank,” May reached her husband and kissed his cheek.

Taking that moment to usher the guests away from the embarrassing scene, Lindsay gathered the people and stated they could head on down to the community hall for refreshments while the bride and groom cleaned up.

“Tucker, can you bring the quad over with the trailer to get May and Frank?” May asked the best man.

The calm, warm air balmy. The sun shone clear and bright. No signs of the wind remained; peacefulness surrounded them.

Shaking her head remorsefully, Lindsey turned to May and Frank. Checking with her sister she decided May was okay physically. Emotionally, tears were understandable. A droplet washed some manure from her pale cheek. This was turning out to be quite the wedding on their parents' ranch. One to remember, most likely the worst part would be spoken of at future family gatherings for years to come.

Glancing at the stranger steadying her new brother-in-law she found him watching her. The gaze penetrating through thick, long lashes. Looking away she realized it was only the four of them left in the field.

The newlyweds spoke quietly, their heads bowed, foreheads touching. The man appeared uncomfortable, being too close he shifted slightly away, as far as he could while keeping his shoulder still for Frank's green smeared hand

His blue eyes met hers as mirth filled hers. Knowing the situation was not humorous she could not stop the snort giggle escape past rosy lips. A dark brow raised as a second giggle escaped, as his nose wrinkled. Covering her face in the crock of her arm knowing her hands were dirty, the giggles followed in a muffled stream. The more the laughing flowed out the higher his brows raised. Noticing the attractive curve to his mouth the laughter slowed. He no longer looked so uncomfortable, but his appeal grew.

Flushing brightly, Lindsey lowered her gaze to stare blankly at a large cow patty near her toe.

“Lindsey, why are you laughing? This isn't funny. We haven't even had the wedding photos taken.”

Meeting the hurt expression May carried, guilt filled her chest.

“I know. The day is so crazy. I thought of the name that Dad came up with for our ranch when we were kids and couldn't help relating today to its name. The Laughingstock ranch, and how the craziness of today fits. I'm sorry. You know I find humour in the oddest places.”

“You're right.” Her gaze travelled the front of the once white wedding dress. “I am so disappointed about our clothes.”

“Why don't we head to the house and get cleaned up. Maybe then a solution can be found,” the handsome man suggested.

“Andrew is right, dearest. I don't want to continue to smell like this any longer.” Frank looped his arm through his wife’s and held Andrew’s shoulder with the other.

Watching the three slowly walk towards Tucker as he drove the quad across the field to meet them, Lindsey wondered on so many things. The day was completely insane. Hoping with all her heart the rest of the day would play out smoothly. Maybe a dance or two with his handsomeness to add topping on the cake, Lindsey followed. Weddings were supposed to be spoken of, this one sure would be.

August 23, 2024 18:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.