0 comments

Contemporary Speculative Fiction

‘What have I gotten into.’ I reproach myself grimly as I look out over the millions of people who have gathered here today.  

Out of the corner of my eye I can see, in no particular order, two presidents, a queen, and three prime ministers.  I glance at them and make eye contact with the president of my country, of Meiland, who smiles at me with absurdly white teeth.  I cannot read his expression, but I shiver slightly. 

I turn back towards the podium and once more see the endless faces spread out far before me, all gazing up at me in silent expectation.  

I can feel my hands trembling slightly as I tightly grip my notes and prepare to say the speech that has been so carefully written for me.  

It has been two weeks since that day, two bizarre weeks and all culminating in this.  A speech to Meiland, and to the world.

------

Two weeks earlier

‘We are delighted to tell you that you have been chosen to be the face of Meiland!’ he says cheerfully.  

‘Oh.’ I say, with perhaps less enthusiasm than was expected. 

A few moments prior, a man had arrived at the door and introduced himself as an agent for Meiland, along with all the proper identification of course.  He is wearing a black suit and tie with immaculately coiffed hair and has a grin across his face showing his apparently genuine delight in being able to deliver this news.

He pauses now, seeming to think something more will be forthcoming from me. 

I oblige and say, ‘No, I mean, that’s great.’ 

His face relaxes, we are back on script. 

‘So what does this entail,’ I ask slowly.  ‘And why me?’ 

Somehow this still seems to be a part of his script as he continues in an irritatingly chirpy tone, ‘Meiland wants to help the everyday, good citizens of this country. And you, you have been a model citizen your entire life! You helped nurse people to health in the pandemic of ‘02.  You are currently serving as a volunteer at several organisations.  Why, you are exactly the type of citizen that Meiland is dedicated to helping.’    

I’m perturbed that they know so much about me. 

‘As the Face of Meiland,’ he continues, ‘you will be filmed in several commercials, showing your daily life, and your volunteer work.  You will additionally be given a very generous benefit package.’  

‘As you have probably heard, in two weeks time the International Nations Conference will be held.  At this conference you will have the opportunity to give a speech to Meilandians and the world, sharing with them the benefaction and aid that Meiland has given to you.’

I’m starting to realise what is really being said.    

The past month in Meiland has been somehow even more chaotic than the years previous - a maelstrom of turmoil themselves.  The pandemic and war abroad created unrest in the country and mistrust in a government that showed so little concern for its people.    As shouldn’t happen, but as so often does in history, the rich became richer during this period and the poor steadily grew poorer.

The unrest started off small - protests, sit-ins, all peaceful cries for aid; however, as the government continued to ignore the pleas of its starving people, protests turned into violent riots.  The peoples of America began to clash with police and raid grocery stores and supermarkets in order to feed their dying children.   

Things came to a turning point when the government refused to raise the minimum wage.  Angered at this final careless dismissal of a simple way to support their lives, a small band of rebels formed the Pax - a group dedicated to ending the tyranny of the few and helping those in need.  

Despite the invasive technology of this digital age, the leader of the Pax and their followers have managed to stay largely anonymous.  At the same time, they have managed to infiltrate their way into many corners of America, in particular the homes of the wealthy.  

They began by stealing valuables from high-end stores and donating the money to the poor, but have since escalated their operations as their numbers grow. 

One evening a few months ago they made their way into the home of a billionaire and offered a simple demand - give us your money or pay with your life.  Upon finding his dead body the next morning, the rest immediately heightened their security, spending millions on elaborate defenses.  

In spite of this, this past week saw a team of Pax managing to make their way into the fortress of a billionaire who was particularly infamous for getting rich amidst the pandemic.  This time, their demands were met.  

As promised, the money was donated to the poor in Meiland, thus overnight exponentially increasing the support by the citizens of this country for Pax.  Meilandians began calling for many of those in government, including the president, to be replaced with members of Pax.

I can see now why they want someone like me to be this ‘Face of Meiland.’  They wish to show Meilandians that they don’t need Pax to be healthy and well.  That Meiland is providing for its citizens.  I’m sure they wish to send a bigger message to the world as well, that Meiland is in control, thriving even.

The agent comes to the end of his speech.  ‘So, will you accept this great honour? Will you become the face of Meiland?’  He looks at me, seemingly confident of my answer.  

The truth is, I’m not sure.  As much as I don’t support the actions of Meiland, and secretly think that Pax has the right idea, I also know that this benefits packet is sorely needed in my home.  Perhaps that was another reason why they chose me.  With a mother in the hospital with cancer and a husband recently on unemployment, no matter my personal scruples, I very much needed that money.  

After a bit I nod my head, ‘Yes, I accept.’ 

‘Wonderful!’ they say, their enormous grin somehow stretching even further up their face as they pull out a contract.  ‘Now, if you can sign right here…’

------

My speech starts off on script.  ‘Citizens of Meiland, thank you for having me here today.  I am honoured to be speaking to you on this auspicious day.’

These past two weeks have been wonderful.  Although the filming had been somewhat invasive, being able to not worry about money for the first time perhaps ever has been like a dream.  I am able to relax as my monetary problems have disappeared while my husband has been given his dream job and my mother is receiving the best care possible.

And yet, a part of me has hesitated.  I have heard of no one else in Meiland receiving this benefits package.  No other aid has been seen going forth.  People are still dying, riots are still raging.  It is only in my small pocket of Meiland where things have improved.

Thus even to the end I am uncertain which way I will go.  Funds for my family, security, and Meiland? Or risk it all, for what? A brief moment that will most likely be cut out of the recordings? For Pax? For Meiland. 

I stop and take a deep breath. 

‘I am honoured to be here, speaking before you.’ 

I am coming to the end of my speech.  

‘Meiland has helped me out in so many ways, and I know they will do so for all of you.’ is what I am supposed to say.  What I had decided to say. 

And yet, ‘I would be amiss to ignore what Meiland has become.’ I say in my quiet voice that has become a roar over this crowd.

I can feel the politicians’ smiles freeze besides me. 

‘Most people in Meiland have not been given this opportunity.’ I continue as my voice grows stronger.  ‘They have not been given money to help them.  Meiland has decided to help one person, and that is all.’  

‘In the two weeks since I have been given this money I have not heard nor seen of anyone else who has benefited.  To be honest, perhaps Pax has the right idea.’ 

I have nothing else to lose anyways, I think to myself.  

‘Why should the wealthy have it all? Why should I be the only one who got this money?  To have so much, when others have so few - that is truly one of the most despicable things a human can do.’ 

‘I am grateful I was able to receive this money.  But if it meant that others did not, if it meant that Meiland could pretend to help all of its citizens while doing no such thing, then I do not want it.  Meiland might think that they can buy my loyalty, that they can trick you into thinking that they want to help.  But I want to say that that is not so.’ 

‘Leaders of Meiland,’ I address the president at my side whose eyes are boring into mine with suppressed rage, ‘It is not too late.  If you work to help all of us with every ounce of your power, your wealth and your resources, the people will return to you.  We have always been honoured to be a part of Meiland.’ 

‘However, if you continue to ignore the voices that have been crying out, then the consequences are on your hands.’  

I step away from the microphone as silence deafens the air.  I’m surprised they didn’t stop the sound.  Perhaps they were just as shocked as I was, at the words that came out of my mouth.  

I do not know what will happen next.  Nothing good, I can imagine.  Though perhaps, a very slim perhaps, they may decide to help us.  Even if they do not, however, I hope that my words showed this country that we will not be beaten. 

That they cannot silence us with illusions and rewards.  

That the money that they took from us must and will be sent back where it belongs. 

That we will always fight for each other.

And perhaps, that one day we will win. 

February 09, 2021 06:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.