4 comments

Science Fiction

The vast hangar was filled with the hum of engines and the soft murmur of voices. Families gathered, tearful yet full of hope, as they prepared to say goodbye to their loved ones. A vast sleek, silver shuttle loomed in the background, its hull gleaming under the harsh lights of the terminal.

A small girl, no older than twelve, stood beside her parents, clutching a worn stuffed animal. Her name was Robyn. She had always been small for her age, her limbs frail and her skin pale. She had been born with a rare condition that left her body weak and prone to illness. But today, all that would to change.

“You’re going to get so much better, sweetheart, and you’ll be home before you know it,” her mother whispered, kneeling to straighten the collar of Robyn’s dress. “Just imagine! no more pain, no more hospitals. You’ll come back to us strong and healthy.” The thought of her daughter being so far away felt like her heart was being torn in two, but she knew the station’s facilities simply couldn’t meet her needs anymore.

“You’re so brave!” Robyn’s physician chimed in as she approached the family. “I just know you’re going to do great over there!” She playfully ruffled Robyn’s hair, as the girl’s eyes lit up at the sight of the woman who had done everything she could to make her life better. The doctor smiled encouragingly at the family, reassuring them that everything would be okay.

“Thank you for all your help, Doctor,” Robyn’s father said, shaking her hand. She smiled back, though her expression was tinged with reluctance. “I only wish I could have done more for her here... but I really believe she’ll be back in no time.” She gave Robyn a warm smile and a cheeky wink before excusing herself to speak with another family nearby.

Robyn's father, a tall man with greying hair, nodded solemnly. "You're one of the lucky ones, Robyn. Not everyone gets this opportunity. They're sending you to the best station in the sector, where they’ll make you as good as new." He leaned in closer, squeezing her little nose between his fingers before quickly pulling his hand away, thumb poking through in the playful gesture she knew so well. "Who knows, maybe they’ll even give you a brand-new nose," he teased, a warm smile spreading across his face. Robyn giggled softly, but the uncertainty lingering in her large brown eyes didn’t fade. "I’ll miss you both so much," she whispered, her voice fragile and tender.

Her parents exchanged glances, their faces reflecting a blend of hope and sorrow. They had been reassured that this was the best option for Robyn - Space Station 7's pharmacogenetic facilities and treatments far surpassed anything their modest Space Station 3 could offer. She was incredibly fortunate to have been selected for the program, and the scientists there were already very confident they could delay her conditions progress within a year or two, eventually healing her completely, before returning her back to her parents loving arms in perfect health. Though deeply grateful to The Program for accepting her, their hearts ached as they struggled to stay strong while saying their goodbyes.

A sharp voice over the loudspeaker interrupted their moment. "Final boarding call for shuttle 7A. All passengers, please proceed to the departure gate."

Robyn's mother hugged her tightly, tears streaming down her face. "We love you so much, Robyn. Be brave, okay? We'll see you soon." Her father bent down and kissed the top of her head. "Remember, this is your chance to be strong. You're going to be just fine."

Robyn nodded, clinging to the belief that everything would be okay, that this was the right thing to do. She turned and walked toward the gate, her steps slow and hesitant. An elderly woman in the line ahead noticed the young girl walking alone. “And who’s this little one?” she asked kindly, sparking a conversation about the girl’s beloved toy. Robyn smiled at the woman as she proudly introduced her cherished bear, Lancelot. “And who gave you such a noble bear?” the woman teased. “My mum and dad,” Robyn replied, pointing back at them in the crowd. The woman waved gently to Robyn’s parents and mouthed, “I’ll look after her,” with a warm smile. Robyn gave her parents one final wave, and they waved back, their faces filled with hope.

The interior of the vast shuttle was cold and sterile, with seats arranged in rigid, orderly rows. As passengers settled into their places, the air buzzed with a tangible mix of excitement, anxiety, and fear. The journey to Space Station 7 was costly, and those chosen for this trip had to undertake it alone. For many, it was their first experience of space travel, so when the doors sealed shut with a heavy hiss, a profound silence settled over the cabin. Robyn clutched Lancelot tightly against her chest. The elderly woman sitting nearby reached out and gently patted her hand. “Try to relax,” she said softly. “It can be a little frightening at first, but once we’re past the atmosphere, it’s smooth sailing, I promise. Best to get some sleep dear. It's a long journey.”

As the shuttle lifted off, the G-force pressed her firmly into her seat and she began to feel extremely weak. She had a sudden thought that perhaps on her returning journey, she would finally be free of the waves of nausea and pain. Through the window, she watched as Space Station 3—the only home she had ever known—shrank steadily into the distance, eventually fading into nothing more than a distant, fleeting memory. Closing her eyes, she hugged Lancelot tightly, clinging to the hope that she would soon be well enough to return home.

The shuttle drifted through the cold, unyielding void of space for nearly an hour before beginning its descent through the barren atmosphere of a desolate moon. Ahead, a grim industrial facility emerged, its cold metal walls smeared with thick ash and enveloped in an oppressive silence. There were no welcoming doctors or assurances of care—only the Clean-Up Crew, ready to handle the first of this year's cargo before the shuttle proceeded to Space Station 4.

Robyn never woke up.

Back on Earth, her parents clung to each other, waiting for the day their daughter would return to them, unaware that their goodbye had been final, that Robyn had been sent away not to be healed, but to be forgotten - sacrificed for the 'greater good' in a corrupt society that no longer wished to care for the weak and elderly.

August 26, 2024 18:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

George Abel
00:08 Sep 05, 2024

I like the way the farewell lasted for an extended period, but still kept my interest. Wondering what will happen next makes for a good story. Thank you for a story that was a pleasure to read.

Reply

Mawsy Walshe
19:20 Sep 05, 2024

Oh thank you so much! :D It's my first story on here (and my first time writing again, in a long long time. :) ) so a genuine comment from someone who I don't know in real life means a lot! :D I definitely wasn't sure if I'd made the farewell too long, but I'm happy it held your interest so that makes me feel a lot better! :) I 100 percent have already thought of the next 20 chapters XD Theres an uprising of course..I mean, people are going to notice that no ones coming home eventually! Was the doctor in on it? Did she know their fate?...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:46 Aug 26, 2024

A hopeful tale for 90% of the 'run time' then a sucker punch right at the end. Nice Soylent Green vibe to this one. Welcome to reedsy! :)

Reply

Mawsy Walshe
12:47 Aug 27, 2024

thanks! :D hash tag spoilers XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.