0 comments

Mystery Thriller Fiction

Knock...

Knock...

" Sam, Open the door.

This is the last time I'm going to say this," yelled Allen.

"I'm not Sam, No one of that name lives here, Go away," the person behind the door standing says.

Allen replied, " Stop doing this, I swear I will go to the Police and inform them about you."

The person behind the door says, " Yeah, yeah, go and do that, if you don't I will definitely call them. I am tired of this, coming here every day and yelling Sam, Sam. Go and find him somewhere else."

Allen replied, " He lived here for almost four years. He had already paid the rent for the next year. What do you mean 'Find him' somewhere else?"

The person behind the door yells, " No, I live here. There is no one named Sam in this building that I know of. You can go and ask others"

Allen replies, " Why should I ask others? I know Sam lived here and you never lived here. This is Apartment No. 404. Sam's Apartment."

The person behind the door (shocked) says - "How can you say that Sam lived here? Have you ever visited him? and What do you mean by Apartment No. 404, this is Apartment No. 402?"

Allen replies, " No, I have not as this is the first time that he has done something that he shouldn't have done. and also about the apartment, you don't know that you are living in his apartment, Apartment No. 404, and yelling at me to go away."

Ring...

Ring...

Allen picks up the phone, " Yes, I'm outside the apartment. The person living here is not opening the door and is constantly yelling at me and telling me to go away"

The person on the other side of the phone replies, " Just come back. We will deal with him later. First, we need to find Sam. It's one of our top priorities right now."

Allen replies, " Okay, Sir."

The phone call ends.

Allen says, " I have to be present somewhere right now but I will come back and when I come back, make sure that you remember the apartment number plate."

Allen starts to leave and as he is going down the staircases, at one point he hears a loud "Thud."

He stops for a while to see if anything is happening but starts walking again.

The person on the other side of the door opens the door and looks at his apartment number, it's of course,

"Apartment No. 402"

He is furious now. He thinks to himself, " Maybe that guy has a defect in his eyes. Reading 402 as 404. I will definitely open the door next time and tell that guy to read the number carefully. Thinking about what he will do next time, he goes back to his room.

He sits on his sofa and starts to think, "But who really is Sam? Did he seriously live here? I have never heard anyone say that name."

Dials a number and yells, " He came back again today. and asked for Sam again. Do you know who Sam is?"

The person on the other side of the phone replies, " I have heard rumors. Jack and I will come over and we will talk about this, Steve"

After some time;

Knock...

Knock...

" Open the door, Steve, We're here," says Tom.

Door opens.

" So you both really came, we need to talk about this, Should I go to the police?"

Jack replies, " Yes, you should, this is the third time this week."

Tom replies, " Oh wait, you two, don't do anything without thinking of the outcomes."

Steve says, " So, what do you suggest then, Tom?"

Tom replies, " The next time he comes, just ask him everything you need to know about that "Sam" Guy."

Steve says, "Yes, I will ask him everything and also tell him to read the number plate carefully."

Tom says, "What do you mean by " Read the number plate carefully?"

Steve replies, "The man who yells Sam, Sam... reads 402 as 404. Next time he comes, I will tell him the apartment number is 402 and not 404."

Jack replies, " But your apartment number is 404. Why would you say 402?"

Steve replies, " I guess apart from the individuals living on this floor everyone has some defect in their eyes. Come with me and see yourself."

Steve opens the door and is shocked to see the number plate 404 on his apartment door and says, " Hey Tom, Hey Jack... Are... Are you seeing this? How is this possible?"

Jack replies, "What do you mean "How is this possible? This is your apartment."

I live in Apartment no. 402, it's not possible.

Jack replies, " No, Steve, you live in Apartment No. 404."

Tom replies, " Let's just go inside the apartment and think about this."

.

.

After a while, there is a knock on the door;

Knock...

Knock...

Steve, "Sam" here... Open the door... I will tell you how all of this is possible and why the person who yells Sam, Sam... comes here?"

Steve (in shock) - Are you the same "Sam" that the guy who comes here was talking about?

"Yes, Yes... Just open the door, I will explain everything," replies Sam.

Steve opens the door and tries to punch Sam but Sam blocks the punch easily.

Steve yells, " I know you, You're the Trash Guy."

Sam replies, " Yes, I am many things and The Trash Guy is one of them. I want to explain everything but right now, I don't have time. So, I will just say this, the person who yells Sam, Sam will never disturb you again."

" What do you mean by "never disturb me again?" yells Steve.

Sam replies, " Just enjoy while it lasts, they will send someone else soon enough and starts running down the stairs."

Tom, Jack, and Steve try their best to catch him but fail to do so as Sam just disappears into one of the stairs and when they reach the place, they find a note.

Steve reads the note, " This is not Goodbye, We will meet soon again."

June 02, 2022 16:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.