3 comments

African American Urban Fantasy Adventure

A sharp blow to the back of the head rendered him soundly into unconsciousness. I let the last of them drop to the pavement in an unceremonious heap, and cast about to find it.


Amber colored eyes peered from the darkness. Black tail causing a strange visual flicker against the near impermeable alley's shadows. Then it was off again, bounding from can to create, from sill to to bin, and with each a glance back to be sure I followed.


I stayed centered and tread with as much quiet a I could muster. My companion holding the lions share (pun intended) of my attention. The rest I used to glimpse into the concealing shadows. I didn't know if I should exactly expect other nefarious types to spring ill conceived traps at me, but then again... I was following a damned cat.


Not just any cat, I should explain. This tiny trouble maker, or one like it, had haunted my every dream for the past fortnight. Through scatterings of human refuse, and forgotten pieces of the once-hoped-upon, it would lead me. A few paces ahead, always glancing back to see if I followed.


I couldn't say exactly why it did this, or why I followed, out side the obvious. I wanted the godforsaken dreams to stop, and this seemed the surest way to that come to pass.


I followed this way another quarter of an hour, until it finally lit at the opening of a narrow passage. The way led between two buildings, that loomed 3 stories above on one side, and twice that on the other. The cat sat and peered it's questioning yellow eyes at me, it's form engulfed by the utter darkness.


It sat and waited.


I peered into the darkness trying to make out anything of interest. Foreboding shadows refused to give up secrets, and the cat's only replay was an incessant mew.


"Fine..." I said, glancing about as I slipped my trusty sap back into my belt and in it's place produced a set of fine lock picks. "but there better be something of value down here, or it's dream cat for dinner."


The lock that secured the grate was old, and rusted. Though it's mechanisms were no match for my expertise, the state of it's disrepair could have proven the undoing of my tools. Finesse was the word of the night, and after a few long moments of coaxing, she opened to me.


Seeing my task done, my feline companion slipped through to vanish into the dark beyond. The rusted hinges made low moaning wails that echoed down the passageway. If someone... or gods forbid, something awaited me, they knew I had arrived.


I took a deep breath and held it as immersed myself in shadows of the passage. Immediately the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, and my heart raced in my chest. My eyes darted forward, intent upon seeing some dark mystery I was sure was there. A second later, and a fraction of a second too late I turned to stay the closing of the gate. It clanged in triumphant mockery at my bitter failure. With its ringing finality a weight descended upon my soul.


When would I ever tire of making stupid mistakes?


"In for a penny..." I said aloud, to be sure that some aspect of what I was experiencing was real. My voice echoed off solid walls on either side, and bounced it's way down the passage.


I sighed, and stalked forward, hand resting on the dagger still sheathed at my waste. Bitter grey played against somber black, defining the difference between wall and floor. Shapeless darkness made it difficult to gauge distance in the long narrow. I kept my arms and legs close to core, slinking along ready to strike or run at the first sign of trouble.


I knew too many colleagues who made sport of those foolish enough to wander about this way. My city was well known for random disappearances. Not all were the handiwork of brigands or cutpurses, though in this moment I would have almost preferred their mundanity.


"Here kitty..." I called out in hushed terms, torn between alerting what might be here to my presence, and the companionship of the mysterious trap setter.


A sudden movement ahead gave me pause, though nothing revealed itself immediately. I held stalk still a few long moments, counting my heart beats and shallow breaths.


Then as if from all about me I heard a voice, thundering in it's impractical dulcetness.


"What are -you- doing here?"


I rose up from my crouch ever so slightly, and cast around the darkness for the voices owner.


"Don't bother looking for me human..." The feminine voice chuckled then, amused at something I didn't quite gather. "you wont find me..."


"Fair enough..." I said, trying to maintain my calm. My heart thundered in my chest and I was certain what ever this would could hear it.


Resolved to what ever the fates had in store, I regained my full height, and attempted a worriless shrug. I was sure my ruse failed.


"Emmm..." came the voice again. "There you are..."


"Yes..." I said, feeling a bit more brave, for reasons only the gods know. "But where are you?"


That amused laughter again.


"So...?" it said when it's mirth had taken it's course.


"So...?" I echoed, not sure what the question was.


"I asked you a question... you have yet to answer."


"Oh..." I said and careened my neck to work out a kink I didn't feel. "well... I'm simply looking for... a... cat."



"A Caaat...?" There was unmistakable disdain in it's voice.


"Yes..." I said and pantomimed holding a loaf of bread. "It's a small creature... abuot yay big... furr..."


"I know what a cat is..." this time the voice held no mirth what so ever. "Why are you looking for a cat here?"


"This is where it went..." I shrugged. "Seemed a prudent place t.."


"Why would you follow a cat into my layer...?" As it said this, I noticed movement from above. Movement which drew my eye, and in that moment, I wished to all the gods that it hadn't.


Moored there, and hovering perhaps 3 meters above my head was a form I could at first make out only as a woman. Common sense screamed run as eight spindly legs, quick and nimble, bore her toward me. The spear she held tightly in human hands poised and ready made that the least practical of ideas.


She leaned closer, two sets of solid black eyes locked onto me, inciting fear to hold my legs in place.


"Do you not enjoy breathing more than you enjoy bleeding, human?"


I felt my heart buckle in my chest, and the world began to swim. Darkness took me soon after that.


Moments later I started a wake to a shrill, almost infantile cry, that I'm not ashamed to admit came from my throat. I panted shallowly and cast about the room, until my eyes locked on my window sill. And the pair of Amber eyes that peered in at me.


I rose from my meager pallet, and crossed to the window... and closed it.


I hate cats.

February 24, 2023 22:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Susana Sela
16:49 Mar 09, 2023

I love it, it's dark and unsettling. you are left wanting to know more....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ralph Aldrich
13:03 Mar 09, 2023

Interesting

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rabab Zaidi
15:20 Mar 04, 2023

Nice.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.