0 comments

Holiday Romance

The holiday “Bake Off” was right around the corner. In two weeks, my grandmother Ava and I will be competing in the 27th annual baking competition that consists of all holiday-related desserts. Numerous people come to the bake-off because there is a big feast to celebrate 27 years of peace and prosperity in the community. Although, this competition should be friendly. My grandmother has won six consecutive years in a row except for the last two years when Mrs. Delmare and her daughter moved into town. Mrs. Delmare first year won by a landslide against my grandmother’s Red Devil cheesecake, last year she won the judges over with her tangy lemon meringue pie. 

What I thought was a nice community get together became an all-out bake war against my grandmother and Mrs. Delmare. My grandmother entered every baking competition Mrs. Delmare entered, soon the community became aware of the competition between the two and instigated who would be the winner for this year’s holiday bake-off. 

I stayed up numerous nights helping my grandmother with her recipes. What cake was too sweet? What cake was too thick? There were so many possibilities that could cost my grandmother the competition. Still, I remained by her side even though I thought her cakes were perfect and she didn’t need the judgments of others. “That sassy Mrs. Delmare won’t win this year baby girl,” she said making the icing for a caramel cake. “I want to get this perfect, The banquet will love this for their Christmas parties don’t you think Stacy?”

“I don’t understand why is it such a big deal now grandma, you’ve lost this competition before haven’t you?” I asked.

My grandmother looked at me with a concerned look in her eyes, as if what she was doing didn’t have a purpose. “Yes I’ve lost before, eight years ago, but your grandfather also was alive then. When he passed away, all I had to look forward to was baking, he loved my cakes.” She took the cake out the over and placed it on top of the stove. I immediately smelled the cake and walked over towards her to dip my finger in the mixing bowl of caramel to taste to ease my cravings. She instantly smacked my hand as I was reaching in and told me to sit back down until the cake cooled off. I have never seen my grandmother so competitive that she didn’t allow me to taste the icing, even weeks before the competition. 

Two days before the bake-off, I did my part to help set up the community center. That’s when Mrs. Delmare entered the building with her grandson Henry. I have never seen him before and as he walked behind his grandmother carrying cupcakes I realized my eyes followed his every step and I was no longer paying attention to my job. “Hello everyone, it looks gorgeous already, I know it will be PERFECT this Saturday,” Mrs. Delmare said. She was older but her skin was glowing. She wore a black trench coat, knee-high boots, and her hair flowed like water as she walked. Mrs. Delmare instructed her grandson to pass out her cupcakes to everyone working, and as he walked toward me with a box of cupcakes I felt my stomach dropped. Was I nervous? Or could this be love at first sight?

“You want vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry?” He asked. He was tall, his smile went from one ear to the other, and teeth as straight as a line. As he stood close to me I could no longer smell the cupcakes, I smelled his cologne through his clothes. I was caught in a dazed as I stuttered reaching out for a strawberry cupcake.

“Uh… strawberry is fine,” I answered while grabbing the cupcake. “Are you Mrs. Delmare’s son?” 

“No,” he chuckled. “I’m her grandson, my mom normally helps but she passed this year. My grandma almost didn’t enter the competition because of it. You must like her cakes?”

Before I could answer, Mrs. Delmare made her way to us with a huge smile on her face. “STACY,” she said excitedly. “How’s your grandmother?” I hesitated to answer her question but I answered, “Okay,” as I took a bite out of her cupcake. She watched me with a big grin on her face for approval that her cake was better than my grandmother's. Mrs. Delmare was aware of who I was because I helped my grandmother so much with every baking competition for the last two years since she’s been here. 

“Well, I hope Mrs. Ava won’t mind you tasting my cupcakes, she’s quite the competitive person huh?” 

“No,” I answered shaking my head and placing the cupcake on a napkin her son gave me. “She’s getting over the grieving of our grandfather and that’s all she has left to do. But I have to leave here in thirty minutes, so I will chat it up with you all at the feast.” I quickly turned around to continue setting up the banquet hall. As I came back from the daze, I began tasting the ingredients in Mrs. Delmare’s cupcakes and realized it tastes very familiar, like my grandfather’s recipe before he passed. When Mrs. Delmare and Henry walked away, I folded the cupcake in the napkin and stuffed it in my purse to take to my grandmother for her opinion.

That evening, I wondered if I should let my grandmother taste Mrs. Delmare’s cupcake but I didn't want to stress her about the competition even more so. However, word of mouth got around quickly and as soon as I saw my grandmother she already knew Mrs. Delmare passed out cupcakes to everyone at the community center today. “Can you believe her?” My grandmother asked upsettingly. “She makes cupcakes BEFORE the competition, Stacy you didn’t eat that thing did you?”

I can tell she was angered, her hands sat on her hips, and as she walked back in forth in disbelief of Mrs. Delmare’s treat. “Yes, but I didn’t finish it,” I answered. She quickly turned around and quickly walked toward me with her hands still on her hips. “Was it good? Was it better than the cupcakes I made for Thanksgiving?” 

“It tastes like...grandpa’s old recipe actually,” I answered pulling the remaining cupcake out of my purse. I handed it toward her to taste hoping she wouldn’t smack the cupcake out of my hand and onto the floor. 

“Like David? You’re grandpa?” She questioned lifting her eyebrow. She took the cupcake out of my hand and bit into it. I watched her slowly chew the cupcake as crumbs fell on her shirt. As she chewed, her face grew with concern although she didn’t say anything. After she took a bite of the cupcake she promptly threw it in the trash can. “Something isn’t right, that DOES taste like your grandfathers’ recipe.” What I thought was going to be a long night in the kitchen preparing for the bake-off my grandmother instead said she would like to rest for the evening. She kissed me on the forehead and proceeded to her room closing the door behind her. I then felt guilty for giving her the cupcake.

  I left home to go to the store and get items for the bake-off. “Glad to see someone who won’t ask me what my grandmother is cooking,” a voice said behind me. It was Henry, he was buying items for his grandmother’s cake for the bake-off as well. I turned around and nervously chuckled, “This competition brings the worst out of people, even old people. I’m Stacy by the way, Mrs. Ava’s granddaughter”. I reached to shake his hand. His handshake was firm but soft to the touch and his smile gave me butterflies in his stomach. 

“Yeah,” he answered. “My grandmother almost quit when my mom died, but my mom's favorite holiday was Christmas so my grandma is it for her this year in a way. It’s annoying, but she has no one else to help.” He was carelessly tossing up a bag of sugar while he spoke and missed grabbing it in the air, it fell and burst open all over our shoes. I let out a small scream as he dashed down quickly to wipe the sugar off my jeans. 

“I’m sorry!” He said as he was lifting himself off the ground. “Well, maybe if you aren’t doing anything after the competition we can hang out, I hope our grandmothers lose so this won’t be over our heads all year long again.” I was struck at the idea of going against my grandmother's rival. However, as I hesitated to answer his question, his soft smile calmed me and I forgot about the sugar in my shoes. 

“Uh… sure. That would be weird but nice.” I answered. We exchanged numbers and continued our shopping. I found myself forgetting recipe items as I thought about potentially dating this guy. The guy who is the grandson of my grandmother's rival.

On the day of the competition, my grandmother was in full swing. She put on her best outfit, my sister did her hair, and I did her makeup. I have never seen my grandmother so glammed up for a competition, as she normally wears a shirt from my grandpa’s college and jeans. But the day of the competition, my grandma wanted to make sure you can not only taste how good her cake was but look at how good she can look too. 

The community center soon filled with families, there were games and raffles, and all there was left was the competitions. Many people brought their best holiday dishes, from hams and turkeys to side dishes like yams and mashed potatoes. While the main course and side dish competitions were amazing and winners were announced, I couldn’t help but notice my grandmother and Mrs. Delmare giving each other competitive smirks throughout the evening. Once it was finally time for the dessert competition for the evening, both women stood at the edge of their seats while the judges tasted their cakes.

“Alright everyone,” the Mayor said while gaining everyone's attention. “The other judges and I have spoken this year and it’s a hard one.” The suspense was killing my grandmother and Mrs. Delmare who couldn’t stop glancing at one another. 

“The winner of this year's 27th annual bake-off is Mr. McClain with his fantastic Oreo cake!” The entire banquet center gasped including my grandmother and Mrs. Delmare. My grandmother dropped her head in disbelief for a moment and quickly picked her head up and fixed her clothes regaining her posture. She turned her head toward Mrs. Delmare and nodded, Mrs. Delmare nodded back as they gave a good race for the annual bake-off. My grandmother won 2nd and Mrs. Delmare winning third. 

After the competition, I felt relieved as this year was intense between my grandmother and Mrs. Delmare. I was surprised to see Mrs. Delmare approach my grandmother with a big hug. “Oh Mrs. Ava, we had a good run this year huh?” She said hugging my grandmother. “I heard about your husband and your dedication to baking in remembrance of him. My daughter passed away earlier this year and that was her favorite cake I made. If it weren’t for my grandson putting me back on my feet, I wouldn't have.”

“Yes, it got out of hand this year,” my grandmother agreed, wiping tears from her eyes. “My granddaughter is my little cheerleader, always have been. They’re a blessing, aren't they? I’m sorry for the loss of your daughter as well.” 

Mrs. Delmare walked off holding my grandmother's hand as they walked towards Mr. McClain who was grinning from ear to ear over his win. He welcomed both women with open arms and a huge smile on his face. “Ladies!” He said excitedly. “I saved a slice for you two! Now, mine isn’t as terrific as Mrs. Ava’s cakes, or as awesome as Mrs. Delmare cupcakes. You two ladies always rocked the community banquets, you’re the reason I look forward to it.” As I stood back and watched the three laugh and joke, I smiled knowing that my grandmother felt at peace with the results. It was more than a competition for both women, it was a remembrance of their loved ones who they have lost prematurely. 

Henry walked up beside me and elbowed me, gaining my attention. “So the competition is over huh?” He chuckled. “I’m glad I didn’t put in enough sugar in my grandma’s frosting.”

Surprised, I turned to him with my mouth opened as I realized he rigged his grandmother's cake so she wouldn’t win. “They’re old.” He added. “The last thing I want is for old women to fight over a cake. My grandmother can be very competitive at times, my mom's death devastated her, I knew she had to at least try but I didn’t want her to win.” 

I smiled looking back at our grandmothers, “They had their reasons,” I said. As I pulled my phone out to take pictures Henry saw my screen which consisted of my grandfather, grandmother, and I.

He gasped. “You know Mr. David? Wait? Is Mr. David your grandfather who passed?” He asked. 

“Yes,” I answered. “You know him?”

Henry immediately grabbed my wrist and hurried towards our grandmothers. “Granny, do you know they are Mr. David’s family?” he asked butting in the middle of their conversation with another guest. My grandmother had looked at him with confusion, as did I. 

“How do you all know my Davie?” My grandmother asked. 

“Oh my god!” Ms. Delmare said with her hands covering her mouth. “Mr. David was my daughter's culinary arts teacher in college, that recipe I made was his! It was her favorite!” 

Soon my grandmother and Ms. Delmare burst into tears holding onto each other. They wiped the tears from each other's eyes smiling at one another. Ms. Delmare began to tell my grandmother all the praise that her daughter spoke about while in college and pulled out a picture of my grandfather and her daughter at her graduation. A picture my grandmother or I have never seen before and my grandmother burst into tears once again. “Can I please have a copy of this picture, I would love to honor them in my home.”

“Of course!” Ms. Ava replied, wiping the tears from my grandmother's eyes as she cried herself. “I’m even more honored to know he’s your husband, he taught my baby how to cook the best well… anything!” 

I started to cry as well, and as I turned my head to look at Henry I saw tears filling up in his eyes as well. “You want to sit down and eat with me?” I asked.

“I would love to do that,” he answered. His smile lit up the room once again as he walked away escorting me to a table in the banquet hall. 

“That’s some grandson you got there,” my grandmother said as Henry and I walked off. 

“If your grandbaby is anything like you and your husband, that’s some granddaughter you got there,” she replied with a smile.

Henry and I were inseparable the entire evening, as we watched our grandmothers sit along with each other as if they were best friends. They shared recipes and talked about their loved ones as they began to share a bond. 

“So this isn’t our first date right?” Henry asked me. I let out a loud nervous laugh at the question. He looked surprised at first until I grabbed his hand and responded “of course not, but I’d love to have one with you.”

As the night ended and I was driving my grandmother back home. She had a grin on her face as she looked outside the window. “One thing your grandfather knew how to do was teach people, even me, even in his death. Lord knows I miss him, but the lord also knew someone else loved and missed him too. All this time they lived here, I never thought that my Davie would’ve been her daughter's teacher and I cannot be happier about that,” she said looking out the window. She didn’t turn her head to look at me but I felt the warmth of love pouring through her body as she reminisced about my grandfather. 

I helped my grandmother in the bed after a long day and she reached her arms out for a hug as she got comfortable. I bent down to give her a hug back and she gave me the biggest kiss on the cheek. “I love you so much Stacy,” she said. I heard her sniffling trying her best to keep her tears from rolling down her cheeks. “That Henry is a great man and he owns a business, Mrs. Delmare and I talked about you two the entire night. You should date him.”

“GRANDMA!” I burst out laughing. “I already got that covered.”

We laughed as I walked towards the door and blew her a goodnight kiss.

As I looked at my phone I realized I had an unread text message. It was from Henry, my knees buckled and I squealed like a teenage girl holding my phone jumping up and down. “So Saturday right?” He asked. I responded back “of course.” Closing my grandmother's door behind me. I appreciated Henry messing up his grandmother's cake so she would lose the competition. I also was overjoyed with my grandmother's defeat not crushing her heart. As I laid in my bed that night, I looked up at the bare white ceiling, smiled, and thanked my grandfather and Henry’s mom for the amazing love and experience they gave everyone in their short-lived lives. Love can be found in so many different ways, especially when you least expect it. 

December 07, 2020 19:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.