0 comments

Fiction

David was excited about the new exhibits lined up for display in the museum, the one of a  kind in the heart of the city. City was buzzing with news of diverse artifacts, sculptures, paintings by different artists, across genres that seemed to captivate people with an artistic bent of mind.   Plans were being shaped up with buddies to make a visit at the earliest. On the other side, Elizabeth was on the brink of shifting places due to a work relocation. The news flash of the forthcoming exhibit in the new city caught her attention amidst the hustle bustle and packing activities. She decided to be there well before time so that she could look around at ease with a flair for painting. Being an avid painter herself, she had been looking out for cues for fresh painting through work done spanning throughout diverse time periods. After reaching Florida and soon after settling in. She started looking around for connections who could introduce her to like minded communities of people. The exhibition was scheduled to close next week. Winding up her unpacking she keenly looked forward to being part of the exhibition during the weekend. With a bunch of friends who were equally enthusiastic she started for the venue in the wee hours in view of the long distance to be covered. Soon she was at the venue buzzing with excitement with people of all ages. She went forth exploring galleries, a number of items which were displayed in various genres such as fine arts, contemporary ones. While observing one painting closely she found someone at her side looking closely at the painting similarly inquisitive as well. Their commonalities struck, and soon they started interacting, sharing their views about the particular piece of work.  Some remarks thereafter led to commencement of an animated  conversation. David and Elizabeth were inclined to talk at length about their keen interest in arts and other antiques, displayed in the museum. The minor and major details of the painting were highlighted while they excitedly talked about what must have been the motivation behind the drawn painting. It seemed to have originated while the artist was in his teens and nature probably had a deep impression upon his artistic pursuits.  The countryside theme was prominently highlighted. It helped in shaping up the imagination and the ventures after spending some time deliberating upon the same. Henceforth the chit chat moved on from the way they perceived the art. The source for inspiration for them came from the same & what could have been the thought process while creating this great piece of art. In the meanwhile the talk ranged from one thing to another. Both of them could feel an instant connection as their talk ranged from understanding more about their mutual, shared interests. Elizabeth was deeply charmed with David's persona, demeanor and the way he came across as a person who was genuine, with a good sense of humor , and a keen eye for artistic details . Several interests cropped up, which they could very well co relate to. While she was busy conversing , she forgot how the time sped by. Although she used to be a stickler for time & recalled that she had decided to spend only half of the day in the museum. However it was late afternoon and the time flew by and she couldn't  keep track of it. This time she didn't have any guilt pangs so this afternoon was well spent bonding so well with David. That in fact she looked forward to spending the evening with him. As she stood beside, a tinge of sensation overwhelmed & she found herself amidst a flurry of emotions. However she didn't want to be vocal about it at this juncture.

As the day went by and dusk was approaching. She offered to go round the other section of the museum to look at the paintings. This could happen in other galleries, with the keenness to spend some time more with him to know each other better. David happily agreed & soon after they went round exploring other paintings with different hues, they found many of them to be of common interests. The overall ambience was getting warmer with love in the air.It was getting windier & the museum started giving  deserted looks as the closing time was in the next half an hour. Elizabeth's heart sank as the time arrived to part ways.  She pondered what to do next!  Lost in his thoughts David too longed that the day shouldn’t end so soon. The time passed by with dusk round the corner. Emotions were fleeting and the longing to spend some more time together was quite apparent. To give vent to her feelings Elizbeth asked for coffee with David to talk about the plans for the ensuing days! Eyes glistened with overflowing love which she  tried to control while sipping coffee together.  She recollected the last few hours spent together today. The day seemed to be a roller coaster ride initially however the time spent in the Museum henceforth made everything worthwhile! In that sense, since the onset everything seemed to come at a standstill. as their eyes met, and they could feel the mutual warmth & affection between them!  Thereafter was an announcement for the museum to be closed & people to wrap up promptly & make the way outside. David & Elizabeth feeling the affinity between them reached out & took the steps forward holding their hands. As they looked fondly at the setting Sun they renewed their promise to stand by each other and the love to be binding & eternal.  As the sun rises, sets in & the tide rises, ebbs they would let nothing deter and dampen their spirits. In the twilight time phase, the moon stared prominently and the stars were glittering in the clear sky and stood testament to their commitment , their abiding love!  Taking this forward David decided to drop her home though she relented after a bit of cajoling he ultimately could find the way to come along & be with her. Sitting beside each other on their way back  home they remembered the times spent together today & the way the day beautifully culminated. The belief seeped in that the longing for each other wasn't fleeting & they took the vow within for spending the rest of their lives harmoniously together!

March 22, 2024 10:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.