The Long Lost and Forgotten

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Eyes closed. Each moment flowed, slowly trickling by. I was at peace. Yet somehow, I impatiently waited for that time to come.

Yes, the sun was setting down midst the ample cleavage the luscious green valley provided. Still, time proved to be inching slower than a snail. It felt like time had frozen itself just to mock at my irritation.


I didn’t want to open my eyes. Cause it was a scenery I had admired so many times before without any hesitation. It was imprinted in my mind that could be brought forth with my eyes closed and phosphenes glistening.


The radiant yellow sun dipping down, painted the hazy sky in a ombre of warm colours while down on Earth, it casts long shadows on the ground, welcoming the night. On the other side, the subtle moon and with it, accompanied the stars start to twinkle up in the slowly appearing indigo sky. In fact, I could even pinpoint the exact location of each constellation before it truly appears. That’s how many times I had seen it, being stuck on the roof.


Roof? Yes, roof of a dilapidated house that has been abandoned for god knows how long. It used to be a beautiful house before nature began to grow into it, with vines and moss invading and letting all sorts of insects wreck its havoc in. That was first when I saw it. I did get to see the memories this house had when it was a home yet time and nature, cruelly seemed to taunt its feeble attempts to stand as one. They were so determined to show this poor house its true worth. Yet, what it contained seemed to be so interesting. Like it weaved a long tale, no matter how much the pages were torn.


Well, I wasn’t surprised of this condition. As it is, such a large wooden house was built in the middle of a huge thick forest where which ever direction you look at, thick trees grew, and barely let any light fall in. The only little space that was left was a little path that led straight to this broken space. It was expected that such a result would have been yielded.


That is why the best spot was the roof. I felt like I ruled the world, just from this spot. I could see everything from here. Like how the two worlds – the ever-changing skies and the thicket of green on the ground – meet. At first, this sight was astounding and made me feel like the lucky one who carried God’s only secret. But the repetition of this rendition soon got boring as there was nothing else to do. I couldn’t leave and no one would visit me, thanks to this space that seemed it was steeped in pure evil.


That was then. Now I had a reason to look forward. That’s why time seemed to love torturing me.


It wasn’t that long ago. Yet, it seemed so fresh in my mind. Like it happened just yesterday. The memory of the first live human interaction that invaded my sight. It wasn’t a very nice thing between them, but it was a fresh sight for me as I looked down at them from my roof, observing each moment.


There were a bunch of young men with their side buzzed hair, piercings and ripped skinny jeans picking on a young girl and pushing her to step inside the gate. The girl was scared as she was visibly shaking. None of them had much features that stood out, yet I was intrigued. There was just something in the scene that left me hopeful. And I didn’t even know what it was.


The girl was scolded by the bunch of punks and told to stay overnight at the “haunted house”. Did I feel bad the way they were imposing their demands and so-called dares on her? Not one bit. I was just excited to have something interesting than the bore I was used to. And I didn’t have to do anything.


The pale shivering girl nodded and turned to slowly walk in. I did think she was going to leave the moment her bullies had their back turned and lie to their faces. So, to prevent that, I had the gates close with their eerie creaking and had her exit blocked. Her reaction was expected when her face turned white and eyes widened. She had no other option but to take the cover of the plant infested shelter. It got my heart pumping up as I willingly let the house welcome her in. I still didn’t inch from my spot. In fact, I observed her even more.


She wasn’t very pretty from the start. Huge nerd glasses sat on her pointy small nose which were accompanied with dark freckles and chipmunk teeth projecting forth. Her hair was frizzy and unkept and clothes were torn. That would probably be because of the bullies. Her figure seemed lean and small, like she didn’t have enough to eat back at home. With just this much, I got bored as I looked back at the starry night.


What caught my attention was the cool shiny glow that came from the full moon, fell on her like a shining spotlight. The moment I turned to glance at the girl, to see how the light adorned. A gush of wind arose and attacked me. With a pause and a look, it was some one else. A girl looked all so different. The beauty of the moon radiated on her face and beautiful smile flashed her face as she looked at me. Her hair flowed freely, and her eyes twinkled. She looked so happy and free and I actually felt the happiness of being alive. Finally, I was graced with the company over years of loneliness.


That night, I spent it completely with her, talking about the outside world. Something I haven’t seen or remembered seeing. And it was fun and the most interesting moment I have ever had. It was the first time I had heard my voice and learnt so much, just by sitting in one place. I wished time would never get over. My wish was short-lived. The moment the sun started to appear, she disappeared. I had looked around for her. But I lost her. However, the ugly girl? She survived as she had fallen asleep in some soft moss and eventually made her way back home. I was still looking for my beauty. A beauty’s name which I never caught.


After that magical night, I have waited every night for her to appear again. But she didn’t. I tried to figure out the conditions that made her appear that night. It had to be the moon’s light. Specifically, a full moonlight. So, I desperately waited and counted for the day to come. That day is today.


Just as the sun disappeared and the night had come, my eyes had snapped open as I looked around for her to make her grand appearance. Instead, I found my sight, lingering at the closed gates.

April 17, 2020 17:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.