1 comment

Fiction

LOST!

She had driven the route back and forth the hospital many times but this time she was distracted by worry – this was her father’s third heart attack! Her sister sat in the front seat beside her and the two women chatted nonstop as they drove through the rural countryside.

Anna’s fingers frequently drummed on the steering wheel as she drove.

“Liz, do you think we can convince Dad to move in with one of us? Since Mom died it’s such a terrible worry,” Anna said, glancing quickly at her sister. The car lurched. Forced to press the brakes, hard, she held back her scream. A driver behind them had veered over the center line, narrowly missing a head-on collision with an oncoming vehicle and frightening them both.

Liz clutched at the dashboard, her fingers holding on for dear life. “Oh my God, what is wrong with people?” She rolled her window down and waved a middle finger at the driver who had passed and was now directly in front of them.

Reaching over with one hand Anna grabbed Liz’s upper arm. “Please don’t do that. You never know who’s on the roads these days. Did you not hear that story of the woman who was chased all the way home by an irate driver? The guy was angry because she’d flipped him the bird. Police had to be called and everything.”

Liz brushed Anna’s hand away. “Well, that was in the city and this idiot could have killed us.” She shook her head angrily. “Where do these people get their license?”

Anna’s hands were trembling and she gripped the wheel even harder. Tossing her thick mane of hair she said, “We’re safe, thank goodness. Just don’t do that again. Maybe that person is rushing home for some reason. Maybe they have a sick parent or child. Who knows?” She shrugged her shoulders. “Two wrongs don’t make a right.”

Liz balled her hands tightly in her lap. Clenching her teeth she did not reply. She turned her head staring out the window at the meadows and farmers’ fields. She willed herself to calm down.

“Are you okay?” Anna reached across the seat to pat her sister’s arm.

“How can you be so calm?” Liz glared at her sister’s profile.

Anna sighed. “I am not calm. It scared me too. The last thing we need today is to get into a car accident.”

“Hey, did we miss out turn?” Liz’s head swiveled, looking out the back window.

“I don’t think so,” Anna glanced into the rear-view mirror but the country road was long and there were few landmarks to help her know where they were.

“I think we missed our turn. We should have turned back there. I’m certain of it.” Liz glanced down at her wristwatch. “We’ve been driving for an hour. We should have been home by now.”

Anna looked down at the gas gauge. “We’ve used half a tank of fuel already. I think you may be right.” She brushed her hair back from her forehead, a worried look on her face. “Oh my, where are we?”

Liz pointed at the windshield, “There’s a stop sign up ahead, maybe we should turn there.”

Slowing the car down, Anna eased up to the stop sign. She looked up at the street sign. “But that says the fifth line, we should have turned on the third line.”

There were no other vehicles in sight. The one careless driver was long gone.

Liz lifted the cell phone in her hand. “Still no signal. We can’t even use GPS.”

“We have to go back.” Anna’s hands turned the wheel to the left. “We should be able to get back to the sixth line North. Once we do, I can find the right road.”

“Lawrence is going to be worrying about us.” Liz massaged the back of her neck trying to ease the tension.

“And we can’t even let him know where we are or how long we’ll be.” Anna released a long breath. “I can’t believe I got us lost.”

“We’ll be okay. Let’s just wait a bit. Hopefully we’ll see familiar landmarks soon.”

“I won’t ever hear the end of it from Willy. He thinks I zone out when I’m driving and don’t pay enough attention to my surroundings.” Anna grimaced.

“Look, up there, isn’t that the farm where we pick apples in the fall?” Liz’s voice rose and she moved closer to the edge of her seat.

“Oh my gosh! Yes! You’re right!” Anna leaned over the steering wheel.

“Yes, it is! The sign says Raven’s Glen. We’re just taking the long way home.” Liz giggled happily and her fist pumped the air.

“Maybe we should stop and buy a pie? You know the guys love apple pie.” Anna glanced sideways at her sister and her fingers were drumming the wheel once again.

“Sounds like a plan. They won’t be too annoyed with us if we come bearing gifts.” The smile on Liz’s face was wide and her eyes danced in merriment.

“Mom always did say the way to a man’s heart was through his stomach.” Anna held up a hand for a high five.

Anna drove into the farm and brought the car to a stop. Stepping out onto the driveway she stood for a moment moving her head all around attempting to release the crick in her neck.

“This is such a pretty spot.” Liz had walked a few steps away and stood looking up at the rough-hewn structure. “Very country chic.”

A black and white border collie came dancing to meet them.

“Why, hello there,” Anna said, leaning down and rubbing the dog’s ears. “Where did you come from?”

“Rufus! Come here.” A tall blond-haired man in khakis and a blue shirt appeared, calling to his pet. “Don’t be afraid. Rufus doesn’t bite.”

Anna waved away the apology. “I’m not afraid. He’s a beautiful animal.”

The man shifted back and forth from one foot to the other. “He thinks everybody is a friend. He’s a good boy but useless as a guard dog.”

Liz laughed at the sight of the dog leaning against her sister’s leg. “Is there a need for a guard dog here? It seems pretty peaceful.”

“It is. It’s unusual for people to stop by at this time of year though.” The man glanced from one sister to the other.

Anna gave the dog a final pat and looked up. “Are you not open for business? We were hoping to purchase a pie.”

“I can open up for you. Pies are in the freezer though. Like I said we don’t get much traffic until apple picking season.” The man held Anna’s gaze momentarily as he waited for an answer.

“Frozen is fine.” Anna leaned in through the car window to grab her purse. “Do you take debit or credit?”

“Cash only, I’m afraid,” the man replied.

Anna’s chin dropped and the disappointed expression on her face was easy to read.

“Don’t tell me you drove all the way out here just for a pie.” The man said.

“Well, no. actually, we kind of lost our way. We were visiting Dad in the hospital and got kind of turned around on our way home.” Anna kicked at the pebbles on the ground.

“It was lucky that we recognized your sign.” Liz chimed in. “We come here every fall to pick apples.”

The man stroked his goatee, blue eyes piercing Anna’s dark ones. “Well now, seeing as you’re regulars I think we can spare one pie.”

“Are you sure? I’m sorry, I don’t carry cash, as a rule.” Anna shrugged her shoulders. “Most places take debit.”

“No worries. I’m sure you’ve both had a hell of a day what with your father ill and getting lost.” Grinning, the man put his hands on his hips. “Call it my good deed for the day. Come on in. Name’s Roland by the way.”

“It’s very kind of you.” Anna followed him into the building. She glanced around at the empty shelves and the freezers against the wall. She smiled at the home-made sign above the trays of eggs. Please help yourself it read. A basket was placed near it and several five-dollar bills were inside.

Roland scooped up the money, shoving it into his pocket. “We have a few regulars who stop in for the eggs.”

“Not many would leave the money. In fact, I’d say a lot of people would rob your eggs and not think twice.” Anna’s eyebrows were raised, questioning the honour system.

“We know our regulars and if they don’t have the money when they pick up their eggs, they always come by another day with the cash. Besides, it’s cheaper than hiring somebody to hang around here all day, especially in the off seasons.” Roland lifted the lid on a freezer, removing an apple pie.

Anna blushed and fiddled with her necklace. “I’m sure you know your own business. You’re very kind, Roland. We will be sure to pay for the pie when we come back the next time.”

“Think of it as a peace offering,” Roland said, “After all, I did almost run you off the road.”

Anna’s mouth fell open in shock. “That was you back there?”

Roland stepped back. “Yeah, sorry about that. I had to get home. Was at a neighbor’s helping out. My mother called because one of the horses got out on the road. I had to get her back in the barn before she got hit by a car or caused an accident.”

“Wow! Well, no harm done, I guess.” Anna took the pie he was offering with a look of consternation on her face. It’s a good thing Liz waited outside. She thought.

“I will be much more careful in future. I promise.” Roland hooked his thumbs in his belt loops and looked contritely at her.

“We have to get home. Thanks for the pie.” Anna walked quickly away before she could say something she’d likely regret.

“Well, that was a happy accident,” Liz said while they backed out of the driveway.

“Yesh, happy.” Anna’s voice held a tone of sarcasm and did not explain.

May 03, 2024 21:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Dragon The Poet
15:14 May 13, 2024

This made me want apple pie now lol. Good story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.