A SUMMER'S HEARTBREAK

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting.... view prompt

2 comments

General

My Popsicle was melting as I stood by the shores of the sea waiting for my beloved Olivia. Olivia and I have been dating for 3 months now, and I couldn't be happier that the long awaited summer is now here. All I could think of was spending my entire time with my girlfriend, especially now that it's Summer. I have always fantasized this day when I would get to spend every single hour of my day bonding with Olivia. 

   I met Olivia during a sport competition between our schools, she was the cheerleader of the opposing team, I couldn't focus on the football match, I stared at her throughout the game, I had never seen someone so pretty before. After the game, I approached her and our conversation was quite intriguing. That day was the happiest day of my life regardless of the fact that we lost the match and ever since then, we've been inseparable but arduous school activities didn't leave me enough time to spend with her as my heart desired, we mostly hanged out on weekends but now that it's Summer break, things has changed for the better.

   I thought about all the things Olivia and I were gonna go, all the fun I have planned in store for us. Finally, it's summer a break where I can enjoy the heatwave with my heart throb. As I explored my imagination, my eyes moved to the other side of the beach and I could see Olivia walking down towards me. On beholding her, I smiled like a child who had seen candy, the happiness I felt that moment was something I couldn't explain, it was as if an electric eel has been dropped down my pants. “Gosh!” I said to myself, “Olivia is so beautiful” but my happiness was cut short when I noticed a boy figure walking side by side with her, the rays from the sun had obstructed his appearance at first, as they became closer I realized they were holding hands like a newly-wed couple. Immediately, I felt sadness straight to my heart, I knew bad news was coming my way. 

   Olivia walked towards me and gave me a casual hug, before my hands could touch her waist, the hug ended as quickly as it started. I couldn't take my eyes off the guy that showed up with her, I was engrossed in staring at him that I didn't realize Olivia was talking to me. “Hi, Timmy”, she said. I quickly replied with a heavy heart, so she doesn't notice I wasn't paying attention to her, “Hello babe” The expression on her face had already told me everything she intended to say. My heart skipped a beat, “Come on Timmy! Maybe she has something else to say, Olivia isn't gonna breakup with you, she loves you and you love her”, I said to myself with painful confidence. I didn't want my hunch to be correct, I wished so bad that it won't be what I was thinking. Finally, she spoke, “Sorry I kept you waiting for long, I had to wait for Dayo to finish basketball practice” “It's ok” I replied, “I haven't been waiting long” The question that ran through my mind was who was this Dayo guy and why does he have a weird name, but I didn't speak out, I patiently waited for her to speak. “This is Dayo, he's Nigerian” she gestured, “he's um... Well, he is my...” As she stuttered, my heart beat increased, I prayed inside me for it not to be true, but she gathered enough courage and made her point. “He's my new boyfriend, am sorry but it's over between us, am truly sorry, Goodbye Timmy” Those words echoed in my ears a dozen time, I was speechless but my eyes said a lot, I was hurting. My eyes and Dayo's met for few seconds as they walked away, the expression on his face showed satisfaction as he smirked hastily.

   As Olivia and her new boyfriend walked away, I felt weak to my knees, it was then I realized I had been standing under the scorching Summer sun, still I was too weak to move. The stick of my completely melted Popsicle suddenly became heavy to my hands, I felt dizzy, I sat on the hot beach sand recalling the words of Olivia, it felt like a dream, I couldn't believe Olivia and I were over. My mind flashed back to 20 minutes ago, how happy I was daydreaming about the wonderful time I planned to spend with Olivia. So many questions ran through my mind. “Why would Olivia do this to me?” “Why would she choose a Nigerian over me”? I soliloquized. My hand went into my pocket, I could feel the expensive Bracelet I bought for Olivia using my 3 months allowance. I vividly remember the day she saw the Bracelet at the Mall and how she craved for it. Tears rolled down my left cheek. In all anger, I pulled the Bracelet out and flung it into the sea. “AHH!” I yelled, “How can someone who makes you so happy cause you such excruciating pain?” I laid on the sand confused and hoping this was all a bad dream.

   Two hours later, the sun was about to set and there I laid on the sand, still heartbroken. I still couldn't get over the fact that Olivia wasn't mine anymore. “I should have begged” I said to myself angrily, but again, it wouldn't have made any difference, I could tell her mind was completely made up. “Didn't I love her enough”? The more I thought about how she broke up with me, the weaker I became. My phone rang for the third time, it was my mom, she was probably wondering where I was, I ignored the call and tried to gather enough strength to walk myself home. As I walked, I thought about Olivia over and over again, I couldn't get her off my head. In the 3 months Olivia and I had been together, I have grown to love her and consider her as part of my life forever. I didn't expect a breakup to be this painful, I wasn't even sure my heart was working anymore. Finally, I found myself at the doorstep of my house, I was surprised I was able to find my way home after all that happened today, I felt like I was walking in circles.

   As I opened the door, I knew I would have to tell my mom about the breakup. Josh, my best friend was the first person I saw in the living room. “Get ready man! Because am fully prepared to break you record, come on dude! Let's play” He said in all excitement. “By the way, your mom has been worried sick bout you, how was the date with Olivia” He continued. I looked at him with all effort to hide my sadness but I failed. I quickly went up to my room without saying a word. Few minutes later, Josh came up to my room and asked, “What's up with you man?” I forced myself to speak, “Olivia... She broke up with me” His face saddened, “Ah man, am sorry dude, did you guys fight or something?” “No! She just broke up with me, she has another boyfriend” I felt like crying all over again. Josh gave me a pat on the back and said, “ You gotta move on bro! Forget about her, she's history to you now. Come down, let's play a game, you'll feel better” As Josh left they room, I pondered about what he said. I did want to forget about the sensational Olivia but it was harder than teaching a baby to talk.

   I laid on my bed that night, searching my head for inspirational quotes to help me overcome my pain. I thought of the popular cliche, “Time heals all wounds” I knew that over time I would get over this pain I was feeling but Olivia will always be part of my history. I suddenly realized that I still had the stick of my Popsicle in my hand, I stared at it vigorously, this Popsicle's Stick I chose to keep for a reason I couldn't fully explain, it was important to me now, because from the starting of the breakup it was with me, I guess I wasn't alone, I had a friend to see me through my breakup and that friend is a Popsicle stick. I laughed! This summer would be one I would never ever forget, the Summer I lost my girlfriend, the Summer I got my heart broken to pieces.

August 06, 2020 23:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

03:15 Aug 11, 2020

Aww poor guy. Good story keep it up 👍🏼

Reply

Salome Enofe
11:07 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.