0 comments

Adventure Drama Fiction

   Looking for Yeti

Suzanne Marsh

“Flight 302, leaving at Gate 5 is now loading.”

I grabbed the bag that I was taking on board; it contained years of research for a project that I did not ever think would come to fruition. This had long been my dream as assistant curator to the Austin Museum of Science. Yeti had always intrigued me; did they ever exist? The curator, Jim Anthony always laughed:

“Yes, they exist in your mind not in reality.”

I was more than willing to show Jim that yes, they do exist, and I was going to bring back evidence to back up my statements. Although, the price tag for this journey was over ten thousand dollars; travel time was seventeen hours and twenty-three minutes from takeoff here at Bergstrom Airport. I relished the thought of looking out the window and seeing nothing but blue ocean for unending miles.

The plane took off five minutes later; the ascent was well executed. I took the papers out of my travel bag. I flipped through the papers until I found the latest article, I had read about a sighting by an Indian army unit. The article stated that Yeti had been seen but there were footprints in the snow that measured thirty-two by fifteen inches. Once again there was a debate as to whether Yeti even existed or was it just a part of Nepal folklore. For my sake and my bank account I hoped it was.

The plane touched down in Kathmandu on schedule; two young men with the last name of Rai. I hoped they had a sign so I would know they were there for me. I walked brusquely down the stairs toward the passport signs. Before I turned the last corner two diminutive men with a sign reading.

‘Albert Hurbert’ I walked up to them:

“I am Al Hubert”

“Sir, we are Chaha and Raj Rai. You will follow us, we have a small car waiting.”

Small car was an understatement; I am over six foot five, the Grand I10 must have been built for midgets. Chaha and Raj looked at each other in dismay; they had not realized how tall Americans are. I had the physic of a football player; I wondered just how they were going to fit me and all my gear into this tiny vehicle. Somehow, they managed; we were underway heading toward the vicinity of Mount Everest.

We began to unload the car; there were three thermal tents, thermal sleeping bags, and underwear. Chaha and Raj were thankful especially for the thermal underware, I was too. The closer we got to Everest the colder it had become. Once the base camp was set up it was time for a quick MRE then bed. The first few hours were silent; then wolves began to howl, shrilly. Then we heard a roar. I grabbed my flashlight and the three of us raced toward the sound. Could this be Yeti? Obviously not, as it turned out it was a huge Himalayan Brown Bear; anything he wanted he could have. We headed back to the base camp.

Sunrise brought a beautiful pink to the Himalaya’s. I captured the sunrise on my phone sending it to Jim:

‘Lovely sunrise, we have established our base camp just below Everest.’

MRE’s provide nourishment but they are not overly filling; I was still hungry after eating three. None the less I was ready to begin my search for Yeti. Sketches of Yeti were fascinating to me, he appeared to be more like an ape. According to articles that had been published Yeti had been spotted in the Himalayas near Mount Everest. I was right there at the base. Chaha went with me as I began to look for footprints in the snow as described by a representative of the Indian Army; I just hoped the prints were still there. Raj, remained at the base camp, wrapped up warmly in his thermals. His turn would come later in the day.

I was sure that this time I would find Yeti, I envisioned my bringing Yeti home, just as the movie King Kong depicted. He no doubt would have to be crated and placed on board a regular jet. I had not thought to check with the airlines about size and weight requirements. I had made a mental note to do so.

We returned to the base camp, made our way into our tents and hoped we would thaw out before resuming out quest of Yeti. I rested for two hours; awakened Raj and we sent out in a north, northwest direction toward a different side of the base of Mount Everest.

There was a quick movement and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a huge hairy beast; must be another brown bear or so I thought. I had several of these sightings, during the next week. I hoped this trip was not just another “wild goose” chase.

Late that night, we heard a roar once again. I grabbed a flashlight and ran it the direction I thought was indicated. There at the far end of the base of Mount Everest stood a huge hairy ape like creature, with black eyes and a fur coat as white as the snow on the top of Everest. Was I simply dreaming or had I actually made contact with the Yeti. I became highly agitated as I screamed at the creature:

“Wait, are you Yeti, I have been searching for you.”

The creature gave me a rather discerning look and ambled on his way. I knew, I just knew that had to be Yeti; it fit the descriptions to a tee. I had accomplished what I set out to do I had made contact with the Yeti. I had a decision to make. I could stay here and observe the Yeti, get to know him or I could return home, save another ten grand and return. Raj changed my mind:

“Sir, you have seen Nepal’s greatest treasure, please leave him here where he belongs.

You have proof he is here. Is that not all that you truly wanted here?”

“Yes, Raj, but I want to get to know the creature.”

“No, sir you must return. The Yeti will not do well in captivity. He is a free being here in thee

in the Himalayas, as it should be.”

I knew he was speaking with the heart of a true Nepalese and he was correct. Capturing Yeti would only harm him. I had been in Nepal almost two months, it was time to return home to Austin.

November 09, 2022 21:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.