5 comments

Holiday Happy

"Yukio, it's time to wake up. It's Christmas." Emily smiled, shaking me a bit.

I pulled my pillow over my head. "Dad and I usually sleep in on Christmas. It's not a big holiday either so we don't really celebrate it. I don't know why he even let you put the tree up." I sighed.

She smiled and pulled the pillow off. "He let me put it up because we decided that we'll switch every holiday. One year we do what he usually does, and the next year, we do what Lily and I usually do. He said we'll do my stuff for the rest of this year." She smiled.

I rolled my eyes and sat up. "Fine."

Emily smiled and got up, leaving the room.

I got up and walked over to my closet, taking my time looking through my outfits to see if I had anything good enough for today.

Emily had come all the way from America to live in Japan with her daughter Lily. She had a knack for the language and her writing was super good for a woman who had only studied the language for a few months. Most of the time, she was here at the house, cleaning, cooking, and... I guess just being a housewife... or something like that. I almost couldn't stand her though. My father loved her but I just couldn't seem to have that desire to be around her. I was a sixteen year old boy who didn't want to hang out with my 'new mom'. I wanted to hang out with my friends and play football. It was better to run after that checkered ball than it was to look for wedding dresses in the middle of town.

I got dressed and walked out of the room to see Lily talking up a storm at the table and gulping down orange juice like it was nothing. I could tell Dad was still tired but he was keeping himself up with what was most likely coffee. I sat down in my seat and started eating, not bothering to look towards the living room, where a lit up fir tree was waiting.

Emily sat down and smiled at me. "Are you excited to see what Santa brought for you?"

Lily smiled at her. "I bet he brought Yukio a new soccer ball since he lost his at school."

Heh. Lost, of course that would be the conclusion thought for a four-year-old. I thought, thinking of the drawings and things the other students had written on the ball. I said I had friends, but I never said I wasn't bullied for being the person I was.

My thoughts were interrupted by Lily handing me a small paper crane. It was folded badly and sat on its side, my name written on the left wing... or what I think was supposed to be a wing.

"I made that for you." The four-year-old giggled while finishing her breakfast.

I stared at the paper bird for a moment and smiled at Lily. "Thanks. I kinda feel bad for just making a card." I said, patting her head.

"It's okay." She smiled, hugging me.

Emily smiled at us both and got up. "Well, I guess I shouldn't keep you both waiting any longer. Go pick out something to open first. We'll go on from there."

Lily gasped in excitement and jumped up, pulling on my hand. "Come on, come on, come on!"

I got up and picked her up, walking over to the living room and looking into it.

The living room was dark still because of the curtains, and it looked warm and comforting. A couple of stockings hung up on the coat rack we had hardly used, the names Lily and Yukio stitched into the white fabric on top. They were almost overflowing with chocolate and a few small trinkets. Besides that, the main attraction was a large Christmas tree sitting up in the corner. It was filled with ornaments of angels, drummer boys, and little sparkling orbs, then wrapped up in a coil of lights that made fireworks seem boring. Underneath that bright and dazzling tree, was a small pile of presents. They were stacked neatly and wrapped in silver and red paper, with small bows and streamers on the top. A few of the tags said Santa, while the rest had either Lily's name or mine.

Lily sat down and looked at a small present, picking it up and handing it to Emily. "This one's for you Mommy."

Emily smiled and took it. "Why don't you guys open yours first?"

Lily nodded and slid one of mine over to me, then grabbed one of hers, smiling at me and grabbing a loose part of the paper. "Let's open them at the same time."

I nodded and found a loose edge.

We peeled the paper off and she gazed happily at a little kid's makeup set. She jumped up with it, showing Emily and Dad, telling them how much she had dreamed of having one.

I, however, received a football, checkered like the old one, but not just black and white. It was a bright red and yellow one, and it had things written on each of the pentagons. They were little quotes and sayings I'd heard Emily use often around the house and in daily life that were meant to give confidence and good life lessons.

I looked at the tag on the box. From: Santa To: Yukio.

Emily patted my head and winked at me, smiling.

I looked over at Lily, who was talking to Dad about the makeup kit, then hugged Emily. "Thank you."

She nodded and hugged me back. "Well, let's open the rest and go play out in the snow for a bit. We'll all team up on your father." She giggled.

I laughed and sat back down, handing a box to Lily.

After about thirty minutes, we’d all gotten the mess of wrapping paper and tape picked up and out to the dumpster, and I was helping Lily slip on her snow boots and coat. Emily handed us a couple hats and got hers on, heading outside. Lily and I followed, while Dad stayed inside, apologizing for needing more sleep.

Emily smiled at us and started piling up power-white snow up in the yard.

“What are you making?” Lily asked, walking over and helping pack the snow down.

“A fortress.” Emily smiled at her.

“Does it have a princess?” Lily asked, her eyes glittering with hope.

“Of course. The prettiest little princess in the world.” Emily smiled, scooping Lily up into her arms and spinning around a few times. Once she was on the ground again, she ran over to my side and pulled me over to the little wall. “And we have a dragon to protect the princess from monsters and bad guys.”

Emily laughed and nodded.

I smiled and helped make the fort, adding a few sticks and rocks on the outside. By the time we were done, Emily had gotten up and gone inside.

Lily smiled at me and made a small mound of snow next to the fortress and stood on it. “Now I’m gonna get taller than you fast.” She giggled.

I laughed and picked her up, setting her on my shoulders and running around the yard. “I’m a ferocious dragon. Nobody will be taller than me!” I called, making her laugh and giggle.

We played like this for almost an hour, eventually being called inside for hot chocolate. Lily almost begged for the entire bag in hers while I settled for about five or six.

Emily and Dad sat at the table to join us while Lily and I talked about what we would do next once we could go back outside.

Once I found a little free time from the adventure she had planned, I looked over at Emily and tapped her shoulder.

“Yes?” She asked, looking over and smiling.

“Merry Christmas Mom.” I smiled.

November 22, 2020 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Emily Lantz
15:07 Nov 30, 2020

This is an awesome story! I love the characters so much! :D One small edit though: Lily almost begged for the entire bag in hers while I settled for about five or six. I’m pretty sure you are talking about marshmallows, and you just forgot the word.

Reply

15:15 Nov 30, 2020

Thanks for the feedback on it. I do tend to forget words sometimes. I'm glad you liked the story and I'll be sure to keep writing more as the contests continue. Thanks again, have a great day!💛

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amélie Veva
18:02 Nov 28, 2020

Awwww thats a really sweet story. Fell for Yukio and Lily instantly. Best of Luck 😊

Reply

23:14 Nov 29, 2020

I'm glad you liked the story, Best of luck to you too.😊

Reply

Amélie Veva
02:46 Nov 30, 2020

I did thankyou and please check mine as well if its not too much 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.