The Girl with Maroon Eyes, The Zodiacs and Him

Submitted into Contest #28 in response to: Write about someone (or something) you loved that you shouldn’t have.... view prompt

0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

 

To begin, I have to go all the way back to our first conversation. I was a new kid in a new school with so many new people. I could already tell I was going to have an interesting time here.

"Um, hi, I'm Emma, and my dad wants me to get at least two phone numbers to prove to him I have friends...." I explained quietly, my face flushed with embarrassment. That’s when she stood up and began to yell  her phone number with one of her friends intensely in my general direction. I take out a pencil and tear a corner off a sheet of paper and begin to scribble down their phone numbers. Once everyone calmed down from that incident, I no longer felt too embarrassed or scared. No matter, she looked adorable with her round face and amazing light brown eyes that looked almost maroon. My stomach couldn’t stop turning whenever I thought of her. Eventually over the year, we began to hang out a lot, when she introduced me to an app that was made for fandom communities once I binge read all of the Percy Jackson books and all of the in between series that I came to love.

“Hey, if you like the books, you should check out this app!” She showed me on her phone, “Do you think it would be okay if you got it?” she asked. Of course, I knew my parents would say no because of their strict rule on social media, but I did it anyway. I took out my phone and downloaded it immediately, she helped me add a profile picture of one of the Percy Jackson characters. I joined a group and we role-played as zodiac people in the camp for half bloods, which are demigods that have one godly parent and one mortal/human parent. I felt like I belonged and had friends that truly cared about me, I felt safe. It felt like I had found a perfect family, but nothing good can last forever right? I knew I shouldn’t have gone into my parents room with my phone while roleplaying with the zodiacs. They looked at my phone and found out, and took away my phone. I couldn’t bear losing them so I hunted for my phone and went on when they were away for work or on a business trip. Then it happened, they found me one time with it, and it was all over. 

“You’re not getting your phone back until you’re eighteen.” they said. The words hit me like a truck and felt so alone. They made me push away her with the maroon eyes and my heart shattered. I didn’t think I’d make it out.

 

Now we’re freshmen in highschool, and over the first months of being back in school I somehow got over her. One of my other friends apparently had developed a crush or something on me. I guess I agreed because we were really close. We tried to do some stupid impulsive stuff teenagers do and I didn’t feel very comfortable and my parents walked in. They did not like it at all. I felt guilty and he blamed himself and I just couldn’t handle it, so I cut our ties. We agreed to stay friends, but you know how it goes, you just drift further apart. I was in a state of depression because two people I liked had to be pushed away and I still miss the family of zodiacs. Everyone looks so happy in their relationships but I just gave up and learned I’m not meant to love or be loved. I just wished I could’ve done something better and was smarter about it then, maybe then I would still have the love I once dreamed of in my life. 


February 11, 2020 15:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.