The Holograms

Written in response to: End your story with a character standing in the rain.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Science Fiction Suspense

Everything is a lie.

Everyone believes what they are told.  They get to see what they want to see, despite the fact that they are looking through innocent eyes, unaware of what is truly before them.  There are few that actually know the truth, and what trauma it will and has caused them throughout their lives. Not one of us knows what is to come of this fabricated world.

We are the beholders of the truth and believe it or not the world has changed for the worse. We know the true circumstances of what old generations called “earth”. 

...

My name is Eveline Johnson and I was born in 2140, almost 17 years ago. My mother passed away just two days after my birth. No one knows why, but some are still speculative. Since then I have had what innocents call an abnormal life.

When I was five years old, my father disappeared. I was left with my aunt and then put into school just a few months after. When I started talking to people I always felt like something was unjustifiable. I always had something on my mind, might it be school or the books that I read in my freetime. My aunt said that some of these books were written by my mother and never officially published. The dates went back to when my grandma was a teenager in 2020 and it made me ponder. What was this world like before now? What exactly are some of these- things? How come we no longer know what this place used to be? Why does society turn a blind eye to what we call home? I was nearly 13 when I asked these questions to my teachers, but most of them looked dumbfoundedly at me like I was acting differently; that something was wrong with me.

When I turned 16 I stopped asking questions. I knew many things and I even saw things that most did not. 

October 13th, 2157:

As I reached for my phone it buzzed lightly in my palm, and on my screen flashed an alert from @liam.m675. I immediately opened the message and started reading.

“Hello Eveline Johnson,” read the message.

“First let me introduce myself as Liam. I know who you really are and I have answers to a multitude of questions you have been asking, even yourself for the past few years. I don’t mean to alarm you or to cause you any harm so I am going to give you an option. You can choose whether or not to read any further at this point of this message”.

I was then asked a series of questions, which I was willing to answer of course. As of this moment I didn’t know what else to do, so I kept reading as another message filled the screen. 

“At this point I must disclose that I am part of a private society called the Holograms. Since you have agreed to the questions provided before this message I am going to warn you of the self-destruct setting that has already been set for three minutes. Please read this carefully because this is incredibly important. 

Your 17th birthday begins at midnight tomorrow and to be safe I need to meet with you in private before then. You will hear five intricate knocks on your door tonight.  I will then tell you more information that I know you long to hear.

I cannot say much more. I hope to see you tonight to talk more about the mysteries of the world we live in. Signed Liam - “

I will never forget. I would never want to forget. I need these answers so that I can do something without wondering what I need to do with my life. 

I leap out of bed to get ready for school because everyone knows that “academics is what keeps us all alive”. I put on my favorite lavender dress and do my makeup covering up my suntan and freckled features. I curl my dark brown hair and tie it back in a loose ponytail pulling out the tiniest strands to frame my face. There is this musky almost heavy scent that wafts into the bathroom and then it's too late. I dash into my messy bedroom and find my phone smoking on my soft white bed sheets. Luckily only the phone was damaged and nothing else. 

I walk to the kitchen to grab a piece of toast and my backpack. As I step outside I start to shiver but look up at the ever rising sun. My breath toasting the air and the wind biting me back. As I get into the car I turn up the heat and start the path to my future.

As much as I keep trying to not think about the message I can’t stop thinking about who Liam is. I don’t know anyone at my school who is named Liam, so who could he be and how could he know so much about me? My head throbs from all the thinking and that's when it hits me. 

My vision flickers in and out, my eyes sting and my mouth dries as I try to refocus. I rub my fingers over my temple and take deep breaths. This has happened before, more than I can count. I have learned over the years that opening my eyes only makes me see things that aren't really there. Overthinking doesn't really help either. It can even be frightening so I just try and calm myself, putting myself back at ease. 

The school day ends and I make my way back home. I am so exhausted and I still have close to three hours of homework to finish before the weekend can begin. I decide to sit down on my bed as soon as I walk in the front door.

It was definitely a poor choice because before I knew it a few hours had already passed. I scramble through homework for each class. Hour after hour. Class after class. Assignment after assignment. 

In what felt like a second I heard five consecutive knocks on the door and I panicked. I put everything away as fast as humanly possible and to my convenience jam my toe on the door. I silently yelp in pain but continue limping through the doorway and to the front door. 

I open the door not knowing what this is leading me into, and the further I open it, the faster my heart begins to beat. Thump. Thump. The creaking of the hinges and then all I see is him. A lean hooded figure drenched in the midnight rain, and standing right in front of me.

...

Note(s):

-> I would love any input you have to offer me!

-> Please let me know down in the comments if I should write a part two. Still a bit unsure.

Thank you so much for taking your time to read my story!

September 25, 2021 01:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.