The Voice of Hate

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Write a story from the antagonist’s point of view.... view prompt

3 comments

Contemporary Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

This story contains some profanity and bigotry


It’s going to be the fight of the century. That f***in’ kike doesn’t have a chance. They set up a ring on the south side of Chicago. The money is pouring in even though it’s not, what’s the word, sanctioned. Those Jews think the war just ended. Well, I’ve got a message for them. It’s just starting here in the states. We’ll finish what Hitler started. To think my dad lost his life fighting to liberate the camps in Germany. I would have been alongside him if my birthday had been just a few months earlier. His old Jew boss probably did a little dance when he heard that my old man had bit the dust. If he hadn’t fired my dad from his factory job, he wouldn’t have volunteered to join the army. Yeah, he could have been drafted but with his bad eyesight, he probably could have gotten out of it. I was shocked that they accepted him when they did. My mom was devastated when he was fired and completely lost it when he volunteered and then was killed in action. She also blames his Jew boss. So, what if Pa was a Hitler supporter. He went to war, didn’t he? Saying that the Jews control the banks and government, is true, isn’t it? That was no reason to fire someone. Pa should have hired a lawyer. I hear this Jew boxer may be related to Pa’s ex-boss. They’re all related one way, or another aren’t they? I’m glad Vinnie got me this match. I don’t care if it’s sanctioned or not. I heard this guy was a Junior Golden Gloves champion. His nickname says it all-‘The Hebrew Hammer.’ As if a Jew could be a tough guy. In school, they’d always run from a fight. They were easy pickings. They’d hand over their lunch without a fight, just a whimper. They had the best meat sandwiches. Those rich bastards never had to work after school like I did. Who did they think they were with their fancy clothes? Just because they sucked up to the teachers and got good marks didn’t mean they were better than me.

It was nineteen-forty-six, the second world war had just ended. Americans had liberated the concentration camps and stopped Hitler’s genocide of the Jews. However, antisemitism still raged back home. Captain Jack Cohen returned from overseas where he had earned a Gold Star for his bravery during the invasion of Normandy. He was appalled to hear from his family the degree of antisemitism they had endured during his absence. His son, Danny, had channeled his anger and frustration into boxing. He had started training at a gym on the South Side at the age of fourteen and at seventeen had become the middleweight champion. His mother, Ruth, had encouraged him as long as his grades didn’t suffer. Danny made sure he maintained an A average. He was determined to earn a boxing scholarship to an Ivy league school, preferably Harvard. Eventually, he wanted to become the only doctor to become the middleweight champion of the world. He’d fought his way up the ranks of the Junior Golden Gloves and was ready to jump up to the next level. He’d turn nineteen in a few months. When he heard there was a boxer from another gym looking to break into Golden Gloves, he wasn’t interested until he heard who it was. Ronny Strump had been a school bully. He had picked on many of Danny’s Jewish friends at South Shore high school. Ironically, Danny had gone to Leo High school, a private Catholic school known for their boxing program and had never met Ronny. He was eager to do so. Danny was a skinny six foot. Ronny was a solid six foot three and was a heavyweight. Danny didn’t care. He needed this fight on principle. His father had braved bombs and gunfire in a war against antisemitism and genocide. Now he could do his part. Strump was a known antisemite and a member of a Nazi inspired gang.

Ronny lived just blocks from the gym where the fight was scheduled to take place. He would walk with his entourage the evening of the fight. Despite the fact that it wasn’t sanctioned, it was well publicized. Bets were pouring in. Rumors had it that the mob was involved. Ronny was the heavy favorite. After all, Ronny outweighed Danny by at least thirty pounds and Danny was a Jew. Yeah, there were Jewish fighters like Benny Leonard but they were the exceptions. Ronny was looking forward to the beat down. His friends were betting heavily on him and had come up with a nickname for Danny. He was the Jew ice cream Cohen. He’d melt once he got in the ring with Ronny. A week before the fight, all the members of Ronny’s gang had a swastika tattooed on their backs. Ronny couldn’t wait to take off his robe at the start of the fight.

Danny, in the meantime, trained hard against heavyweights in his gym and at school. He was determined to make a statement with a resounding win. He didn’t want just to win by decision. He needed a knockout. He wasn’t called the Hebrew Hammer for nothing. Despite his slight frame, he could really pack a punch. He also harnessed generations of abuse into a fury that carried him through every fight. Still, the thirty-pound difference had him worried. He spent hours in the weight room and increased his calorie intake months before the fight. Not wanting to lose his speed advantage, he also spent hours at the track. It seemed like he was waging his own war for the Jews. Every time he faltered during training, he thought of his father’s bravery and suffering during the war. After knocking out the last three heavyweights he faced in training, he knew he was ready.

The day of the fight arrived. A local radio station picked up its coverage and dubbed it World War Three. Ronny had been training lightly mostly with middleweights. He was cocky and his confidence only grew with the encouragement of his friends. It would be a piece of cake. The betting had it ending after one round. When Ronny left his house, he was joined by a block long entourage. He literally skipped and danced, shadow boxing all the way to the gym. Danny’s Dad drove him to the gym. His mother didn’t want anything to do with the event and stayed home. When Danny and his dad entered the gym, they were surprised to see the bleachers packed. There was standing room only. It was clear that one side was packed with his supporters. There was even some black hatters (Hasidic Jews) ring side. They cheered as he emerged from the locker room wearing a robe emblazoned with The Hebrew Hammer.

Ronny emerged from the locker room, still dancing and shadow boxing. He smirked and waved to the cheering crowd. He knew he had this one in the bag. As he ducked under the ropes and watched Danny disrobe, his confidence only grew.

Sh**t, I can see his ribs. I bet I’ll feel them crack after a few punches. I almost feel sorry for the kike. Jews are supposed to be smart. Why would he agree to do this? I need to teach this one a lesson. Hebrew Hammer! Give me a break! Ice Cream Cohen is more like it.

Ronny laughed to himself and raised his arms when the crowd cheered. Many on his side of the bleachers stood and raised their arms in a Nazi salute when they saw his swastika. The other side booed and yelled shame or a Shonda (shame in Yiddish). Ronny put a hand to one ear as if to encourage them. He seemed to be enjoying himself. He sat on the stool in his corner and joked with Vinnie who was also his trainer.

This is going to be more fun than I thought. Too bad it won’t last long.

The bell rang and each fighter walked to the center of the ring. It became the classic puncher versus boxer fight. Ronny stalked Danny and lunged at him with punches. Danny bobbed and weaved and landed the occasional jab. Most of Ronny's punches missed but he managed to steer Danny into a corner and land some hard blows to his abdomen and ribs. Danny just smiled and managed to dance away.

The skinny bugger is tougher than I thought. He’ll tire and I’ll get him good the next time.

The pattern continued. Ronny stalked and Danny escaped but landed a few jabs. Ronny laughed at the ineffectiveness of the blows and waved his hand encouraging Danny to try again.

If those fairy punches are the best he’s got. The Hammer nickname must just be a joke.

Near the end of the first round Ronny Cornered Danny again and landed a vicious uppercut to his chin. Danny staggered and appeared dazed. Fortunately, the bell rang and both fighters retired to their respective corners. Danny’s trainers poured water on him and asked if he was alright. Danny waved them off and assured them he was good to go.

Ronny’s trainers gave him some water and told him he had the fight won. They were surprised it had lasted one round. Ronny just nodded.

I’m going to put him out of his misery this round. I’m surprised he’s lasted this long. I thought he’d give up after the first punch. It’s like fighting a girl. Those aren’t punches, they’re love taps. I almost feel sorry for him. Maybe Jews aren’t as smart as they say they are.

The bell rang and Danny came out and attacked with a fury. He fired rapid punches to Ronny’s face before Ronnie could respond. Ronny staggered backwards.

Where did that come from? I’m okay but I’d better get serious. Those weren’t love taps.

Ronny covered up his face and deflected Danny’s punches. He opened himself up to blows the abdomen. Still, he pushed forward and cornered Danny once again and landed another uppercut to the jaw. This time Danny counterpunched and landed an uppercut of his own. Ronny staggered backwards.

Sh**t, this is one tough Jew. I’d better get serious.

Ronny began to hear boos from his supporters. He channeled them into anger and stalked Danny with renewed energy and furor. Danny was energized by his supporters’ cheers. He bobbed and weaved with vigor and evaded Ronny’s lunges. His jabs packed more power and caused Ronny’s right eyelid to swell. Ronny became more desperate and pushed Ronny into a corner. The referee said nothing. Ronny then connected with two vicious blows to Danny’s face. Danny slumped against the ropes and Ronny continued to punch. The referee continued to say and do nothing. Danny’s supporters were standing and protesting. His trainers were about to throw in the towel when Danny’s eyes opened wide. After a few seconds, he rose and began to fight back. He landed a few blows to Ronny’s left eye. Ronny blinked a few times and stepped back.

Oh f**ck. This guy is one tough mother f**cker. If I don’t end this soon, I’m going to be blind.

The bell rang and the fighters went to their corners. Ronny’s trainers did all they could to reduce the swelling in his eyelids but with little effect. They refused Ronny’s pleas to cut his eyelids. By the end of the third round, Ronny’s eyes were almost swollen shut. Still, he refused to throw in the towel.

I can’t let a Jew beat me.

Ronny was lunging aimlessly at Danny but rarely landing any punches. He was staggering around the ring while Danny pummeled his face. Finally, Danny landed an uppercut to Ronny’s jaw, and he went down. He got up at the count of nine, but Danny hit him again and he went down again. This time he was counted out. Ronny was semi-conscious but felt a mixture of respect and shame.

I can’t believe it! A Jew, a f**king Jew! I’ve got to hand it to him though. He is one tough mother.

Ronny rose and went back to his corner. His trainer put ice over his eyelids and gave him water. He then joined Danny in the middle of the ring. As the referee was going to announce the winner, Ronny’s supporters booed and threw garbage into the ring. Ronny shook his head and raised Danny’s arm.

This Jew won fair and square. I’ll be damned if I’m going to be a pussy and a sore loser.

After the fighters retired to the locker room and showered, Ronny was waiting for Danny at the exit. Danny put up his hands and said: “I don’t want any trouble.”

Ronny extended his hand and said: “I underestimated you. I didn’t know a Jew could fight like that.”

Danny smiled and said” Then you don’t know many Jews.”

“I guess not. Hey, is there any chance I could train with you?”

“If you come by my gym, I’m sure something can be arranged. I’m warning you though, there are a lot of Jewish fighters there.”

“If they’re anything like you, I’m going to take a beating before I get any good.”

“Okay then, see you there.”

***

Ronny trained for years at Danny’s gym and fought many Jews He even became friends with some of them. He became a successful Golden Gloves boxer and had a moderately successful professional career. Danny became a Harvard trained cardiologist and a great collegiate boxer. He never went professional but followed Ronny’s career.


August 11, 2024 18:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Chris Sage
21:48 Aug 21, 2024

I like the way you've threaded the antagonist's thoughts through a more 'birds eye' view of the story. The bits outside of the antagonist's head felt like a news report of the fight, which gives it an interesting element of contrast. Fast paced and engaging fight, although I wonder if there could have been something about how it felt to be on the receiving end of the punch? Small point - I think at one point you might say Ronny instead of Danny (Ronny pushed Ronny into the corner)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
02:39 Aug 13, 2024

Well, at least, Ronnie gained some respect for the Jewish. Lovely work !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
20:26 Aug 11, 2024

This story wallops a punch!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.