1 comment

Contemporary

There was nothing special about this day. Saturday, July 5th. Melissa was walking around downtown, looking at the tourists. They were everywhere, and she smiled a bit when she saw a mother trying to hold on to a five year old rushing away. She had nothing to do today, but was hoping that she could soon find enough cash to get off the couch at her friend Beth’s house. Beth had been good to put her up after her ex kicked her out. Well, not really. She left, after finding him in their bed with some stupid blonde. How dense was she? Why did she not see it coming? Him hiding his phone, late nights when he should have been home. Too trusting. Again.

Her self esteem had taken a dunk too. She was pretty enough, and she had a nice shape. She would never be a model but plenty of people thought she was pretty. He had always said she was pretty. And she paid her bills. He would have trouble paying the rent without her. Let’s see how long he could stay there. Should she stay with Beth till he ran out of money and just go back? No, then he would find her.

Her afternoon was open and she wanted to get out of this rut she was in. A crowd gathered at a spot near a beachfront restaurant, one she knew. She wondered what they were gathering for, then she heard it. A guitar, and it was tuned well, she thought. She always knew if things were not tuned right, Drove her nuts to hear poorly maintained instruments anywhere. This person was doing it right she thought, from a distance. Well, let’s go see?

He was younger, maybe 30, with brown hair a bit stringy and jeans and a dark tshirt. Sandals on his feet. A hat was in front of him with some coins in it. The first song ended and she waited for the next. Good, a song she knew. She hummed along and she could see the crowd was enjoying it, bopping their heads and mouthing the words. She took a moment to look around. She was not the youngest and not the oldest. All kinds of people here. A few had ice cream cones, one had a hot dog. A dog yapped but she could not see it. She could smell the fish that restaurant was cooking, that smell was always here. Typical beach scene. This song ended and a few people threw some coins down and walked away. She stayed. She had nothing else to do.

His voice was somewhat gravelly, and she liked that in a man’s voice. She chuckled to herself when she thought about what he would sound like with a tinny, girlish voice. That would not be worth staying for sure. She listened to another song, and turned to go. She did not put any change in the hat, she had nothing extra. But she had enough for an ice cream so she went to find the cart.

She got a small rainbow sherbet- her favorite since she was 10 years old, and sat at a picnic table to watch people. But, the thoughts crowded in. Again. What was wrong with her? Why wasn’t she enough for him? For anybody? Was he that great of a catch? Was she? The tears came, but they were gentle, like an old friend. And new ideas started to come in, through the cracks. Why wasn’t she enough? She was! Not for him, and that was good. He certainly was not enough for her! Would she have seen it soon enough? Yes, she was smart enough to have seen it. But by then she would have had more time and felt even more attached. This would be good for her. The tears dripped down her cheeks and she did not wipe them. It felt like a cleansing. She would make this good for her. Maybe he did her a favor? Made himself the bad guy, not her? Maybe he was stronger- no that could not be. If he was strong he would have talked to her, not cheated. That was the easy way out. Would he miss her? She smiled when the first thought that popped into her head was “who freaking cares?” She sat with that for a moment and really smiled. The tears stopped. The sherbet was almost gone. People were still milling about. No one looked at her, but she felt different. She started this day feeling drained and scared and unsure. But this ice cream and a few tears changed things.

She got up and threw her cup away. She walked back to the spot near the restaurant where she had seen the busker.

Again, she heard him before she saw him. It was a smaller crowd. She came nearer and saw the hat had a few more dollars. His song ended and he looked up and saw her. Then he started on one that she knew well. A break up song. Oh well, so many of them are she thought. But this one wasn’t angry and did not bring heartache. This one said go on, go your own way, do what you need to do. She hummed. And the words came out. She did not sing often, but this song sprang from her. Her voice with his sounded good. She did not want it to stop. She wanted to let it all go and go her own way. Without him, without feeling like she wasn’t enough, without baggage. The end of the song came and she smiled again. He looked over at her and began to pack up his guitar. She felt a shot of courage and went closer to him, and found five dollars in her pocket from her ice cream purchase. She dropped it into his hat and looked at him. To find him looking at her. She smiled and so did he.

“You sing very well, better than I do!” He said with a grin, trying to start a conversation.

“I do not sing in public…”

“Maybe you should.” That stopped her. In public? Like on a stage? Her eyes searched his face to see if he was kidding. He looked back with a simple grin. Encouraging.

“I don’t know.” It was a crazy idea. “I think anyone could sing- your guitar was perfectly tuned so anyone could.”

“You heard that?”

Something about him made her feel comfortable. “Yes, I knew it was properly tuned the first time I heard you. I can always tell if it is done wrong.” He studied her now.

“How?”

“I don’t know. Always.”

“You have perfect pitch maybe.”

“What is that?” He had finished packing up and stood near but seem entranced.

“It is when someone can tell a tone without any prompting. If I sing a note, can you tell it?”

“I have never had musical training, so no.”

“No training? That is awful. Can I buy you a soda?” She was flustered, but gave a small nod. He hiked his guitar onto his shoulders and headed over to where she got her ice cream. He bought two sodas, she did not care what kind it was. She thought she would drink half then take off.

“Are you in a band?” She asked, to break the ice.

“Yes, we play on Saturday nights at a restaurant on the other side of the harbor. Do you ever come to the Fish Shack?” She shook her head no. She never went out. “I would like for you to some see us, maybe tonight? Small group, pop favorites. Usually an older crowd, over 40.” She did not reply. She didn’t have a lot going on, except in her head. He was not asking her out? No, he would be playing. “I would buy you a drink, if you could stay for a while.” He would what? He sounded like he was interested. In her. In her?

“I might be able to do that. I need to ask my friend who I am staying with.”

“You might like our group. No one has perfect pitch…” He left that wide open. “Would you sing if we asked?” She almost fell over. Would she sing? This was too much.

“I need to go. I liked what you did here.” She turned but he caught her arm.

“I would really like it… I might be asking too much… but if you could come by tonight and do a song or two with us.” Her voice caught in her throat. What was going on here?

“Maybe”, she broke away and took a few steps. Would he stop her again? He did not and she dropped her soda can in the waste bin and walked away without looking back.

She did not know his name, or his group. She had never been to the Fish Shack. She had heard of it and knew they had music now and then. She walked back to Beth’s place and slunk onto the couch, her bed. Should she go? Just to go out and not sit here with murder mysteries all night? Would it get her out of her own head? Would it help her to think about something completely different? Yes, it would be completely different. First being out in town. Second, could she sing? She knew she had the correct pitches, every note she sang rang true. Could she sing with someone else? She was never in choir at school, never in band. She sang when she was alone. To herself.

An idea hit her. Hard. What if this breakup was the start of something totally new? What if she could sing? What if he was nice to her? What if?

With that, she decided to go tonight.

A shower and a fresh sweater and she asked Beth to drop her at the Fish Shack at 8 and return later. Dinner is over and the band would have another hour or two. Not too long to sit. She came in and the restaurant looked like so many in this town. Wooden bar, view of the harbor, ocean theme. She went into the bar and found a spot in the corner. The band was setting up. She saw three men and found her friend from earlier. He was talking and laughing with the guys. She did not see a woman in the band. Good. Small group. Guitar, keyboard and drums. Simple. They warmed up while she drank a latte coffee. He had not yet seen her. They started their first song and the bar crowd applauded. He saw her and his grin got bigger. Their voices blended together and the pitch was good. They did four more songs and the crowd got a but bigger, up to 20 people now. Not full yet, but a nice fit.

At break, he rushed over to her and pulled her out of her seat. “Come meet everybody, I was hoping you would come!” She was tugged behind him till they go to the corner where they were set up. “This is Mike,” as he pointed to the drummer, “and our keyboard is Brian.” She smiled and said hello. He turned to them “This is the woman I told you about who sang with me today.”

Brian looked at her and said “I hear you have quite a voice.”

“And perfect pitch!” Mike added.

“I asked her if she might want to sing with us tonight.” her friend said. She did not even know his name! Mike, Brian and???

Melissa looked at her friend and reached out to him. “I do not know your name.” He smiled.

“Scott. Scott Shelton. Our group is called The Mollusks. Hey we have to get back, will you please think about joining us? It would do us- all of us- a world of good.” He turned away and she returned to her seat. All of us? Did he mean her, too?

The next set was seven songs, a few newer, a few older, all easy to sing along to. She knew the words. Everyone did. Could she? She ordered a beer. For fortitude.

The next set, they started off with a note or two and Scott took the mike. “We have a friend we would like to join us tonight, if no one objects. Can you come up for a song or two?” He looked right at her and beckoned. Her stomach knotted up, but she stood. She took a moment and looked around the bar. Dark but cozy, a small group but lots of smiles. They all looked at her as she walked up to the stage area. Scott moved aside and put his microphone down near his pockets.

“What would you like to do? Any favorites?” She had no idea and waited for him to make a suggestion. “Country roads? Do you know that one?” She nodded. Not difficult. Everyone knew that one. She looked at Brian and Mike and they nodded. Scott whispered “I can start you off…” She nodded again and they turned to their instruments. It started, Scott led her in, and Melissa started to sing. The words were in her head so she had no problem remembering. As she sang. She looked at the crowd. They were nodding along, singing with her. That felt powerful, that she could bring some joy to others. She sang with more energy, and she was moving on stage as the words eased out. It came to an end and they applauded! Even Scott, Mike and Brian applauded! Scott leaned into the mike and told the crowd that this was Melissa’s first concert. The applause grew! Melissa felt like she belonged. Brian suggested another song, and Melissa knew it, so they delivered that. Mike suggested a third song, and Melissa offered a fourth. They all happened with ease. Two more songs and a break.

When the musicians put their instruments aside, they all gathered around Melissa, offering praise. “That was the best! You are part of our group now!” Brian grabbed her arms and looked at her with intent.

“Melissa, we need you to stay with us!” Mike said with a smile. Scott said nothing, but smiled as he sipped his beer. A couple from the crowd came up and Melissa froze.

“You need to be on stage young lady. The world needs your voice! Superb!” Melissa blushed with their kind words. The couple left but looked back at her with a smile.

Another set happened, with more comfortable songs. Melissa was feeling like she could do this. When it was over, the band packed up, the crowd began to leave and Melissa wondered what was next. She went back to her purse and Scott came over.

“That was such a great show, you improved our performance so much. We could do it okay, but you took it to the next level. Will you join us?” He grabbed her hand, waiting for an answer.

“I don’t know. I need to think about this.” Scott reached into his pocket and pulled out a business card and cash. He handed them to her, and took a step back.

“Take your time. I think you would not regret it.” He turned away, back to the band.

Melissa took the items and tucked them in her pocket. She had a lot on her brain. She left the bar and went to the exit. Beth was coming to get her and she would think about this at the apartment.  

At the apartment, Melissa gave Beth a quick update and Beth loved it. Promised to come see her next time. Melissa sat on the couch and pulled a blanket over her. Her heart was broken with her ex being a jerk. Her finances were in danger, but she knew that would work out. She checked her pocket, The business card had Scott’s name and number and the band name. And the cash, Melissa did not expect cash. It was a $50 bill! Scott paid her for singing 10 songs? $50? Woah! Melissa smiled. Maybe this was new- maybe she could sing and get paid for it. Maybe this break up was truly good for her. She smiled again as she thought about how a typical busker on a typical day could dramatically improve her life.

October 02, 2023 15:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Hannah Lynn
18:32 Oct 10, 2023

I loved it! You never know what could be just around the corner in life!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.