The Dying Surgeon

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who always comes to the aid of others.... view prompt

2 comments

General

"Mom" she yelled

"Mom it's hurting" 9 year old Emily cried with her hands on her forehead.

Mrs Williams came running, the little girl was lying on the floor crying heavily, She took Emily in her arms and ran towards the car

She raced the car along the pavement.A few moments later she reached the Neuro hill hospital

"Stretcher" she shouted 

The medical staff took the little Emily and rushed inside

"Take her to the emergency room and check her vitals" The resident officer ordered 

"Miss ! could you please give some breif history about the girl" He addressed Mrs Williams.

She explained how Emily got her eyesight weakened suddenly 3 months ago . She had headaches thrice but was healed after taking painkillers.

"We must do a CT scan then" the resident said

"Won't you consult Dr Anderson first" Mrs Williams questioned

"He is in the operation theater right now and is having a heap of appointments already.He might not take any further cases"

There was a little disappointment in her eyes "But I took my daughter here , so that he could help us "

"We'll let him know about your daughter , If he willed he'll take the case" the officer responded.

Dr Anderson was the finest neurosurgeon serving the city since last 36 years .He was well known for his decency , decorum , lower demands and successful surgeries. He was truly a symbol of hope for his patients , convincing them to let live and to never loose hope. He made his patients aspire to the fullest, taught his students the lesson of hope .

"She has been diagnosed with a berry aneurysm. Her mother wants to consult you." Sitting in the corridor Mrs Williams could hear the voice of the resident officer from the other room. "Oh I see!! I'll take it then" A Stony dull voice responded.

The door opened and she saw the old neurosurgeon of about 65 years , a bit weak ,shimmering eyes with eye bags and wrinkles on his face , wearing a decent smile , walking towards her 

"Hello Mrs Williams, could you join me in my office?"

The disappointment faded away for a while , she rose to her feet and followed Dr Anderson

"I have gone through your daughter's case . We have to operate her soon . She has a little out pocketing in the blood vessel within the barin.We have to block it. It won't take a lot of time"

"Thankyou Dr for taking up the case.Do whatever is necessary Dr......"

"But!" He interrupted "My patients determination must be strong enough to undergo the surgery ...infact much stronger in this case" Dr Anderson completed his sentence gazing on his hands

She had a wave of goosebumps .She knew it wasn't a minor operation."It's my fault , I thought it was just a headache".She took her face in her palms and started weeping "I should have brought her earlier"

"No Mrs Williams! No! Your crying wouldn't make it .One must not fall in order to make someone stand. I'll take the job to convince her. Don't worry . I always did it like that" He smiled wisely

Within a day Dr Anderson persuaded Emily. He never despaired anyone. He convinced her to fight with her anuerysm . He assured that he would be there to support her in the operation room.

Strongly determined Emily knew Dr Anderson won't let her loose . And thus she awaited her surgery.

2 days later the surgery was planned .Dr Anderson and team were going through her reports and CT scans , they visited Emily to have a check on her condition......When Dr Bela the assistant surgeon urged " You are not looking well Dr Anderson. You should rest for a few days . You must take care of yourself We're taking care of your patients...and trust me we'll handle this case as well"

"NO" the blonde little Emily shouted at the back .." He promised me to fight together , if he wouldn't be there with me I won't let anyone touch me" She got angry at Dr Bela.

"Its already the time to rest eternally" he murmured.

Dr Anderson nodded his head in agreement, passed a smile to Emily and left the ward . The door slammed behind him. He took some steps when the view got blurred as the pain radiated towards the neck , he felt everything was falling apart..the world was drowning in darkness... ABSOLUTE DARKNESS.

"Dr Anderson" Mrs Williams spoke softly. Dim lights of the ward room were glittering half of his face. Slowly he opened his eyes "I'll talk to Emily , you should rest for some days, your colleagues will operate her , they assured me "

He beamed slightly.

"Mrs Williams! Being someone's hope is the greatest blessing for a human being. I served my life to become someone's aspiration. I wrote my whole life as a story of hope, always conveyed the message of optimism. How could I end up making someone hopeless?" He turned his face in the other direction "If I didn't despair little Emily now , one day will come that she won't disappoint the one , hoping some good from her , this is how the chain of hope continues" Closing his eyes he said "See you on Wednesday"

The day finally arrived when Emily was going to get operated. Wednesday evening was all set to hear another success story of Dr Anderson's work, but who knew it would be the last one.

5 hours later the door of the OT opened . Mrs Williams wiped off her tears , watching the team , holding Dr Anderson's hand coming out of the operation theater. Standing faraway he showed up the sign of victory. Yes! the surgery was successful, once again the hope lived. The atmosphere enlightened, a wave of happiness gushed through the air...... when all of a sudden everyone witnessed the old surgeon fainting. Mrs Williams ran towards him..He was breathing heavily, murmuring something.

"Bring in the stretcher...Hurry up" The resident yelled. Everyone panicked for a moment...He was still murmuring.

Mrs Williams brought her ear closer to him but she couldn't hear everything except his last words , the last words of the dying surgeon, the dying hope

"GIVE MY REGARDS TO LITTLE EMILY AND ASK HER TO NOT LET THE HOPE DIE "

July 03, 2020 15:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Cyndy Reads
21:42 Jul 10, 2020

Hi! I received your story, "The Dying Surgeon", for Critique Circle. :) I really enjoyed some of your lines- they held a lot of weight! For example, "One must not fall in order to make someone stand" was one of my favorites! Even "See you Wednesday" manages to convey the deepness of the surgeon's commitment. With the prompt relating to "Superheros", I felt like this story of an everyday hero is apt. :) The one thing I would improve on is punctuation and grammar. While the story is there for us to read, I became increasingly distracted ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Afeefa Idrees
17:25 Jul 03, 2020

you have written everything so beautifully❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.