1 comment

Fiction Romance Suspense

Josh opened his eyes and was blinded by the glare of the sterile white room. He winced as the light seared his eyes, forcing him to shut them tightly. He tried to raise his arm to block the glare, but his muscles were too weak to cooperate.

"Josh, can you hear me?" A soothing feminine voice cut through the haze that clouded his mind.

As his mind cleared, panic began to rise within him. They weren't preparing him for the long sleep as he had first thought—he was emerging from his suspended state. His 50-year hibernation was complete.

With tremendous effort, he struggled to force a whisper, "Yes... I'm awake."

 As his vision adjusted to the light, blurred shapes hovered over him. Gradually they resolved into concerned faces. The same soothing female voice spoke again, gentle but assertive. "My name is Dr. Zoe. Try to stay calm. You're in a safe place."

Josh blinked hard until he could see her clearly. He scanned the room, taking in the white-coated staff and the complex medical equipment monitoring his functions. His throat tightened as he tried to speak. Seeing his discomfort, Dr. Zoe lifted a cup with a straw to his mouth and he gratefully sipped at the cool water.

"Is Elise awake?" he finally managed to get his question out. His voice was hoarse as he continued, "Where is she, Elise, my fiancé?" The reality of the situation hit him. He'd fallen asleep in a world he knew, only to wake alone in an unfamiliar future.

Dr. Zoe's expression tensed almost imperceptibly. "Not yet, but she will be here very soon I expect," she replied, while avoiding eye contact.

"For now, just focus on getting your bearings. I know this is disorienting, and it's a lot to take in. Just concentrate on your own recovery for now."

She and the other staff helped Josh slowly sit upright, gently helping him to work feeling back into his weakened limbs. Although they had given him round the clock care for the duration of the sleep, it was a natural part of the process that his muscles would degenerate after decades of inactivity. 

His mind reeled as he struggled to process his new world. He thought of his parents, his friends - most likely aged or passed away. The thought distressed him. At least Elise would be there by his side. He worried for her, knowing she'd be just as bewildered and overwhelmed as he was, and she would need his support. With each other's support they would face this new era that had evolved without them. This is what they had planned for. This was their adventure at the start of their young lives together, and now their dream was becoming a reality.

The door opened, and Dr. Zoe returned, closely followed by an elegant elderly woman. Josh's spirits rose at the sight of his mother, only to drop as he recognized Elise's eyes set in a wrinkled face. She leaned towards him and gently kissed his forehead.

"My darling, I'm so very sorry." Her voice trembled. "I couldn't go through with it. I got scared and backed out at the last moment - I had too much to lose. I was scared to give up everything for an unknown future that I had no control over. It was too late to stop you. I tried, but they had already started the process and told me they couldn’t reverse it.”

Anger flashed in Josh's eyes. The betrayal he had just heard cut through him. "You abandoned me?" Josh turned his face away, unable to look at the shame captured in her expression.

Tears streamed down her face, sobbing as she explained. She had agonized over her decision every day of her life as she built a career and then a family. Josh could barely process what he was hearing. His parents were gone too - everyone and everything he had ever known was brutally torn away for nothing, by her selfish actions. Now he was utterly alone in a foreign world he knew nothing about. Now he was completely dependent on Elise and the doctors. This is not how it was supposed to be.

Zoe stepped in and gently ushered Elise to one side. "I think Josh has had enough activity for now, he really needs to rest. Elise was sure she saw condemnation in Zoe's eyes as she led her out. Josh saw it too, and for a moment was grateful for the silent support.

 Over the difficult weeks that followed, convalescing under Elise's care and with constant visits to the clinic, Josh struggled with complex emotions. He felt resentment towards Elise one minute, and affection the next. The swinging moods were tiring. He looked forward to his visits to the clinic and talking to Zoe. He was calm in her professional care. He trusted her.

Elise had betrayed him in the worst possible way. Yet now she was the sole remaining link to his old existence, to what made him Josh.

 Josh studied the history of the past 50 years, the wars and disasters, and the human triumphs he had slept through. At the same time, he struggled with Elises life, hearing how she had built a life without him.

She introduced him to her grown son, Ben and her gorgeous daughter Claire. Interacting with people of his own age was a relief, especially Claire's friendship. The two often spoke late into the night about the world that he had become a part of, dealing with his displacement in time. He enjoyed her company immensely and would search for opportunities to be with her. But no bonds could fill the emotional void in which he was trying to rebuild his life. He put on a brave face in Claire and Elise's company, but in solitary moments, he often spiraled into despair over all he had lost. His hopes, his plans, his world - all sacrificed in pursuit of a brighter future with Elise that she had ripped from him. He was thankful for Zoe's consultations. As a doctor she was the one person he could open up to without fear of judgement. He could let go of his inhibitions and express his emotions freely and she would listen.

One rainy Saturday morning several weeks later, Josh returned from a walk to find a chaotic scene at the house. An ambulance was pulling away from the house, and Ben stood solemnly at the door. Inside police were taking notes and moving up and down the stairs. It was then that Ben gave him the devastating news that Elise had quietly passed away in her sleep. But it wasn't a natural death. Elise had left a note confessing that she could no longer live with the guilt of hindering Josh's new life. She explained that she wanted to move aside because she thought she was stifling Josh's ability to move on. The guilt of her actions five decades ago had finally become too much for her to live with.

Eventually, the police left just as Claire arrived in response to Ben's call. As she listened to what had happened Claire was overcome with grief as Josh hugged her and tried to calm her. He held her close as she buried her head into his chest and wept.

Ben turned to Josh with a heavy sigh, "Josh, there is a lot more to the note than I have shared with you. I think it best that we sit down together, and you can read it. I have called Dr. Zoe to join us to make sure that the stress isn't overwhelming for you. You are still recovering.

Zoe had dropped everything to get across as quickly as possible to offer whatever help and support she could. On a professional level, she was needed there. On a personal level she wanted to be there. Her late mother and Elise had been the best of friends and had been through a lot together.

Ben read Elise's letter aloud as they sat surrounded by the relics of her life. Zoe sat apart while Josh held and comforted Claire. Ben read Elise's words, which revealed how she had tried unsuccessfully for years to have a family with her husband, Ben and Claire's father. Now Elise revealed that in desperation, and with the help of friends, she had resorted to using Josh's preserved genetic samples to conceive Ben and Claire.

Reeling from the shocking revelations, Josh did his best to comfort Claire, whose world had just been upended.

The discussions dragged on late into the night. Ben left to go to his own home and took Claire home to drop her on his way. She desperately wanted to be alone now.

Josh sat with Zoe for a little longer, pouring his heart out to her. As always, she listened and soothed him. Eventually, Josh's exhaustion became too much for him. He pointed Zoe to the spare bedroom and retreated to his room, to escape from the events of the day and find a calm place to process his grief and confusion.

He lay awake trying to string together any future that he could imagine. Eventually he drifted into a restless sleep. 

Some hours later, a soft knocking at his bedroom door roused Josh from his restless sleep. He opened his eyes to see Zoe entering his bedroom.

She moved across the room and without saying a word sat beside him on the bed. He felt the warmth of her skin press against him as she ran her fingers across his chest. She was gauging his emotions, silently asking for acceptance. Even in the dim light he sensed what she felt, and an excitement that he had forgotten existed coursed through him. Slowly, she bent her head closer until their lips met, kissing him with rising passion. Josh responded and pulled her close. Now, in each other's arms, Zoe gave him refuge from his despair. Reason nor morality no longer mattered to them. Who could judge them harshly for taking such pleasure? Josh felt alive for the first time since his awakening, Zoe had reminded him of the healing power of human connection. In the morning, Josh awoke to sunlight breaking through the curtains. He felt a glimmer of hope. He couldn't change what had happened in the past, but he now knew the future held real possibilities of the happiness he had planned so long ago. Beside him, Zoe sleeping peacefully appeared almost angelic. He realized now she was what he needed to find contentment in this foreign era. As Zoe's eyes slowly opened, she looked up at him as he watched her. A hint of apprehension behind her smile told Josh she feared his regret or rejection. Reassuringly, he pulled her into his arms and kissed her gently. Elise had unintentionally driven them together. Together, he and Zoe had kindled a flame of hope that they could mend the dream Elise had shattered. It was now possible that he could forgive her.

December 07, 2023 04:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

J. D. Lair
05:56 Dec 09, 2023

Suspended animation was a good take on the prompt and you portrayed the emotions well. Welcome to Reedsy Larry!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.