Corruption in the work place

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

0 comments

Teens & Young Adult Fiction Fantasy

A man forty years of age works at a company that is known. To cut corners with some of its products so they break. So people have to buy more the furious with the way things are going. Asks the boss’s for a conference when it gets approved he marches up to the office. Sits in a chair at one end of a long table with all the boss’s of the company. At the other end with the conversation going something like this.

Worker: ( I am disgusted with the way things are going with this company. We use to put out product that we cared about and stood behind. What happened to this company?)

Boss: ( We do cared about or product and stand behind it. What led you to believe that we did not? )

Worker: ( The way you are having us cut corners. Making things cheep and less valuable. So they break making people go to the store and buy more. I am not the only one that feels this way. )

Boss: ( Who else feels this way?)

Worker: ( You think that I am stupid enough to tell you? So you can get ride of us all.)

Boss: ( No matter what you think we will not fire any of you.)

Worker: ( I have seen it all before. One person speaks up telling them that others feel the same, the next day they all have pink slips.)

Boss: ( That is not what we are about. We want to fix the issue you brought to our attention.)

Worker: ( you claim that this is a family run company. That all of us worker’s are not just a number. But not one of you that came down to the work floor, to see how things are going called any of use by name. Which proves that we are just a number and can be replaced at any moment. )

Boss: ( We know everyone’s name. )

Worker: (Okay lets put that to the test.)

Boss: ( How? How do you want to test that we know your name’s?)

Worker: ( well you know me because I left my name on the message. So I want you all to come to the work floor no folder’s nothing. You walk up to every other person call them by name and ask what they like best about the company.)

Boss: ( Okay lets go.)

Five people plus the worker all get into the elevator the worker. Pushes the work floor number as the elevator goes down the boss of the company. Look at each other calmly talking among themselves about the company. They are talking about what should be done about thing. Mostly about what the worker said about they company.

About how appalling it was to say to them how the company is cutting corners. With their product also who gave the order to if it was true. That the company is doing it they came to a agreement that if what he said was true. The person that gave the order to run less quality product will be fired.

They finally reach the work floor everyone comes out of the elevator. Every one working suddenly stop looking towards the elevator. Seeing all the bosses standing there with one worker. They all come walking to the machine area looking at the first person in line saying.   

Boss: ( Hello mike. How are things going?)

Mike looks up with a worried look in his eyes and say’s.

Mike: ( Everything is fine boss.)

The boss see’s that Mike is kind of afraid turns, to the rest of the companies head bosses and has a quite conversation. One of them leaves grabs the microphone so everyone can hear what is said. The head boss grabs the mic saying.

Boss: ( Hello everyone now some if not all of you know me as Adam. But you all call me boss so things are changing. From here on out we will be down here more in stead of our cushy offices. Down here where things are happening now I know we only usually come down here. When we have to let some one go from the company but that is not why we are here. We are here because one of your fellow workers brought some disturbing. Things to our attention things we did not know because of some short of cover up. The person or persons behind this will be dealt with.

A worker from the back yell’s

Worker: ( What cover up? Are you talking about!)

Boss: ( Well good question. Let me see who said that come to the isle oh yes Jim. Well Jim the cover up is that our product is being made cheaper. That the quality of it is not up to the standers as it was when we first started. This company we do not like hearing this plus if our quality. Has went down then the money spent for the product has been cut in half. If this is true then a person or persons are stealing from the company. A stop needs put to this now.)

A roar of cheer’s runs across the company work floor. A few people do not cheer they just glare at the heads of the company. Plus the worker knowing if they do a internal investigation. They will see where the money is going. The boss goes on to say.

Boss: ( As of tomorrow this company will be shut down. Just till the investigation is over. But do not worry every one will be paid their weekly wages. Each of you will get a call to come in and be questioned. By a outside investigator not one of our investigator’s will be running the investigation. Just so you kind of have a idea when you could be called over the next few weeks. We are running the investigation like this we are calling people from right here. Up front working our was top the back.)

A shock goes across the work floor no one expected anything like this to happen. But each and every employee is happy that things are getting fix. Everyone is tired of the product breaking as soon as it comes out of the machine. Let alone it leaving the factory floor plus the looks they get when they say where they work. From the back a worker yells.

Worker: ( Finally something is getting done.)

Boss: (Yes something is getting done. We had no idea this was going on our managers said everything was fine. That is why after this investigation is done one of us if not all will be done here more often. Now granted we all can not be down here every day. Some one has to keep this company running from up top but we will be down here. You can believe that. No one will be robing from us or the people who buy our product. That is all I have to say.

The head boss goes to step down the other boss’s look at him quietly talk for a minute. Looks at all the workers steps back up with the microphone and says.

Boss: ( One last thing. We are calling it a day everyone can go home early. Yes you will be paid for the full day. We are going to be getting the investigation under way starting today.)

Everyone cheer’s as they shut the machines down and start to head for the door.As everyone leave all the bosses shake each ,and every employees hand as they leave. Telling them that the company will be back to they way it was when the company first started.

As the days roll by to weeks everyone is still getting their pay check. Some workers call other workers wondering when or if they will get the call. To come in and talk to the investigator but no one has yet. Little do the know each worker is being watched by privet investigator’s. To see if anyone of them is they are the one that stole money from the company.

Back at the company the investigation has already started the day everyone left. The moment the last person left the doors closed. The investigation began is what everyone thought but little did everyone know . It was already going on quietly behind the scenes they just needed a reason to get everyone out. To kick it into high gear the worker that called them out. Did just what they needed making a reason for them to get everyone out. The investigation rolls on into months soon they start questioning the employees. After three weeks they call everyone back to work the following day everyone shows up each shift first second and third shift is at the company.

Everyone looks at each other wondering why everyone is here. At the same time all the bosses walk out the door’s followed by four cops. They slowly walk to the stage with the podium on it. The head boss walks up to the podium saying.

Boss: ( We have reach the end of the investigation. We know exactly who did it and where our money went. We apologize for taking so long but we wanted to be thorough in our investigation. You may see that some of the employees you use to work with is not here. Well they was part of the corruption that took place in our company. Also you maybe wondering why the cops are here they are here to arrest they rest of the people involved in it. Gentlemen you may proceed.)

As the cops walk to the crowed to arrest the other employees. Many of the employees are scared not knowing. If some how they was involved in this or not by mistake. But the managers are the one that get arrested and no one else. They cops put them in the police cars and leave.

Boss: ( Well now. Now that all of that is taking care of we will be having a party tonight. For every employee and your families for being patient with this process. Work will start again tomorrow but for tonight the party will begin at six pm sharp. There will be food, games, prizes, live entertainment but for now you all can return home come back tonight. I have to finish up with the investigation paper work everyone have a nice day.)

Everyone gets into their cars to leave the head boss steps down. To talk to the other bosses they all acknowledge the fact. That the one employee did a great job for making all of this happen so the head boss calls him over.

Boss: ( Jacob! Come here for a minute.)

Jacob turns around to see who yelled his name. See the boss motioning for him to come over there. Jacob walks over to the bosses wondering what he did. When Jacob reaches the bosses the head boss says.

Boss: ( I wanted to thank you.)

Jacob: ( Thank me? Thank me for what?)

Boss: ( Well if it was not for you calling us out in the office. We would not gotten this far in this amount of time. So tomorrow when work starts back up you have a new position waiting for you.)

Jacob: ( Really? )

Boss: (Yes. We are giving you this position for bringing the truth to light about the corruption. In our company so we thank you. )

Jacob : ( Thank you for this.)

Boss: ( You earned it if it was not for you the corruption would still be going on. We have been trying to fight it behind the scenes but it was not working. You helped bring the truth to light thank you.)    

May 07, 2021 17:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.