Upward Mobility

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about transformation.... view prompt

0 comments

General

1. Origins


He was known around town as Ace. Just Ace. No one knew his true persona— but he had shrunk around town enough for the townsfolk to gather just who he was. Staring into the windows of the television shoppe, trying to catch a glimpse of the local news channel on one of the tiny screens, Ace’s character was encapsulated in his empty wallet- or lack thereof. 


Mrs. Babble had spun many a tale during her evening tea-parties with the neighbor ladies, warning them to tell their husbands to look out for the newest scrawny beggar man to appear in the city, who was bound to steal any and every treasure in their houses. She was known as the town gossip, and didn’t hesitate to discuss excitedly with the other ladies his presumed lineage and whatnot.      


“Heard his mama was a call girl.”  


Several ladies giggled ferociously. 


“I heard he has no mama!” 


“What do you suppose he’s doin’ in our neck of the woods? I mean, he must have been a failure! My money says his old business went bankrupt!”   


They continued in this fashion, poking their noses into Ace’s business.  

 ****

He stumbled off his makeshift bed gingerly placed over a park bench. He hurriedly ran his dirt-ridden fingers through his hair; catching a glimpse of himself through shards of beer-bottle glass on the sidewalk. He had to get out before the sun rose and the first park visitors came. 


Ace was embarrassed of himself. He knew the rumors and gossip about him, and the truth was far from that. The fact of the matter was, he never had money to begin with. 


That didn’t prevent his distorted desires. He dreamed of the day he could relish luxuries such as sparkly, expensive clothing and shiny metallic automobiles, along with cavorting a sense of financial superiority. 


“Good morning Ace! Breakfast twinkie?” 


Ace wrinkled his nose. 


“No thanks.”  


Ned had a ridiculously optimistic persona, and he always snagged Ace a breakfast of some sort. “We might be homeless but we can still have a ‘breakfast of champs’” he seemed to say. 


Twinkies disgusted Ace. They were the poor man’s snacks. He’d rather starve than publicly declare his financial status. Or lack of one, for the matter. 


“When will ya learn Ned? Ace don’t want no twinkies. He’s dish-tin-guished.” A local beggar jeered. Ace was the local fool and no one hesitated to mock him. 


“He has drive, he just wants to succeed in life. He’s going to go places,” Ned smiled and shrugged.

  ****

Ace stared into the store window. He locked eyes with his scrawny, lowly self. 


Ugh! I’m hideous. I’m a monster! 


He drew in a deep breath and closed his eyes. Visions danced around his mind, and he opened up his hungry eyes. The window bounced the sun’s rays and caught Ace’s reflection. He had on a luxurious suit, held a bulking wallet in his hands, and heavy jewelry dripped from his neck. Ace’s thirsty eyes drank it up. His reflection chuckled. 


So you want to be me?  

Yes, more than you know. 

Of course I know. I am you. 


Ace grinned. 

One day. 

Not one day. Now. 


“Hey! Are you going to come into the store?” The store guard narrowed his eyes at Ace. 


“N-No, I was just leaving.”


But Ace couldn’t wipe the chuckle off his face as he slithered into the night. 


They say that’s the day Ace’s eyes became red. 


Others say that was the day his red eyes became redder. 


2. Chrysalis

Wee-Woo-Wee-Woo. The store’s burglary system groaned and shouted. 

The red lights drew folks with cameras to the store like flies to honey. Cracked glass crunched around the store front. Shards of glass fell to the road, flickering off the moonlight. 


The front window had a gaping hole. Through this hole it could be noted by the curious passerby that the rack of ties— the most converted in the entirety of the city— was thrown to the ground. 


They were gone. Every last one. 

****

The masked thief galloped in the night, holding his dear loot in a burlap bag close to his heart. The bag was light in weight but heavy in value. 


Oh Ace. You’ve done it. You’ve finally done it. 


The crook ripped off his mask and ducked into an alleyway. 


He lifted the bag’s cover. The fabric ties rustled inside, but shiny money glinted in Ace’s eyes. 


By the next month, nearly every fine-tasted man on the block proudly wore an expertly woven tie around his neck. They raved to their wives how cheap the luxuries were sold for on the market. The wives then huddled and prattled about on what economic factors must’ve resulted in such price drops. 


The masked robber was never found. 


3. Wings  

Under the blinding lights, the crowd submerged and joined to take the shape of the misshapen room. Every now and then, brave souls emerged into the center, to feel the rhythm of the blaring music and dance. 


Smells of liquor rippled across the room, and the spotlights revealed dirty smoke clouding the air. Intoxicated folks tottered to the back: crying shouts of mumbo-jumbo and twisting their words around. 


Suddenly, the partygoers shouted. 


“It’s Ace!” 


The crowd broke apart and let in the magnificent, towering figure. On his neck he bore a grand tie. Heavy jewelry dripped from his neck and fingers. There was a bulky wallet in his pocket.    

****

The club was not new to Ace. He had the joy of calling an enormous estate his living space, yet this turbulent and chaotic spot saw him more times during the week than the mansion’s butler could account for.  


“How you doin’ boss?” A heavily inebriated man slurred.  


“Outta my way. You! Fetch me a scotch why don’t ya? Keepin’ me waiting eh?” 


“nO pRObLEM.” He swayed, and handed Ace his drink. 


Ace gulped it down greedily. His eyes flashed red and took in the atmosphere. There was silence every night he strut into the club—it loomed over the room; not to leave till the very man left himself. 


The colorful lights lit up Ace’s face. 


The silence was unbearable. It was thick, encapsulating every dancer and every drinker. 


“continue as you were.” 


“Y-you sure boss?” 


“I SAID AS YOU WERE!” 


“Y-Yes.” The man hiccuped. 


The room started to take on its usual hum; it started out shy and then grew into lawless laughter. 


Ace took his face in his hands. 


His heart felt empty. 


Something was missing. 



May 30, 2020 03:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.