0 comments

Drama Fiction

Brandi couldn't believe it. Right in front of her eyes was the very book that she had been searching for for the past week! She had a report due on it today for her college night-class, but since she couldn't find the book, her teacher had given her a grace period. Now it was due next week. But now she had found it. That was the important thing. As she reached forward to grab it off the shelf, she slipped. And fell. Right on top of Grady Nicholls, who saw what was happening and had attempted to catch her. His well-intentioned attempt had tragically failed and the two of them landed in a heap on the library floor taking a shelf's worth of books along with them. They immediately spluttered apologies to one another and began to regroup. As they returned the books to their shelf, they had the sudden urge to burst out laughing. And laugh they did. They couldn't stop. Even when the librarian came over and told them to hush up, they still couldn't contain themselves. Eventually the pair retained possession of their new books, along with their mental faculties, and made their way to the counter to check out. Grady was gentlemanly, and allowed Brandi to go first. She finished and headed out the door. He soon followed and caught up to her at the door to walk her out.

"Listen, I am really sorry about . . . you know . . . what happened back there." He said shyly.

"Don't worry about it Grady, it was the most hilarious thing that's happened me in years. You made me laugh, if nothing else." She replied with a smile.

"Well, I just wanted to make sure I said that, and also to congratulate you. How's married life?"

"Just wonderful! Benji's the best thing that's ever happened to me. And what about you? I hear you're getting serious with Verna?"

"Yeah! She's absolutely amazing! We've only been together a couple of months, but she's already my pride and joy."

"Well, I'm happy for you Grady." Brandi said warmly.

"And I you Brandi. I wish you well. It was good to see you again, even if it was under catastrophic circumstances." He replied with a brotherly, crooked grin.

They bid one another goodbye, and parted ways.

Grady had no idea how true those words had been.


***

Mabel stretched out her tired fingers. She'd been typing new entries into the library's logs for the past two hours. She looked up from her computer only to see that young woman, Brandi Scott -no, Brandi Peters now- get real excited about something. Then she leaned forward and landed on the floor with crash. Mabel got her tired, seventy-four year old bones up out of her chair as fast as she could, and when she rounded her desk, she saw that Brandi wasn't alone. She was all entangled with Grady Nicholls. Mabel didn't know what to think. She returned to her seat and just watched them for a minute, and saw them get up, giggling. Well, this is mighty strange. She thought. A few moments went by, and they still wouldn't stop laughing. Finally Mabel made her way over there and told them to hush up or get thrown out. She was never usually this harsh with the young'uns, but there was something fishy about all this, and she wasn't going to stand for it. She started to once again make her way back to her desk, and it wasn't until she was halfway there that she heard them quiet down.

What could be going on over there? Mabel wondered. She thought Brandi had doing better of late. She had just gotten married, and seemed to be getting a good head on her shoulders. Mabel hoped she wasn't regressing to her old ways. Before the girl had started having feelings for Benjamin Peters, she had been, by all accounts, a tramp. Mabel never did know the extent of the things Brandi did, but she had heard enough from the ladies in her knitting circle. And poor Grady! If Brandi was up to her old tricks again, she'd better not have taken a liking to dear Grady. He's just getting settled with a girl of his own. Brandi better not lead that boy down the wrong path, or embarrass her new husband. Right then, they came up to her. Mabel coldly scanned Brandi's books and library card, sent her away, and did the same with Grady. Before Mabel could say anything to the boy, he was already up and out the door following Brandi. Mabel shook her head as she looked out the window at where they were going. She saw him stop her out on the sidewalk, saw Brandi give him that smile of hers. As Mabel watched this conversation go down, she was thinking of how Benji didn't deserve this. He was a good boy, the son of the sheriff, for heaven's sake. He loved that girl no matter what the town said about it, and it had been looking like Brandi felt the same for him. But now, seeing her all chummy with Grady, Mabel wasn't so sure.


***

The news spread like wildfire in the gossip rings. All that had needed to happen was Mabel making an off-hand comment to her knitting circle about what she had seen that day, and now the whole town thought they knew about Brandi's so-called affair with Grady. Verna was heartbroken, Benji crushed. It took weeks for the story to be set straight, and even then, there were those who didn't believe the truth. Brandi and Grady didn't speak to one another for years after that day in the library, but rumors weren't laid to rest for good until Brandi gave birth to Benji's son, and the junior Peters family was begun. As for Mabel, she was mortified when she learned of the innocence of that library incident. She had apologized personally to both Brandi and Grady, but she was never able to hold her head high again. Even on her death-bed, fifteen years later, she requested for Brandi and Grady both, together with their spouses (Grady had, in fact, still ended up marrying Verna.) to be by her side so she could apologize one last time. With the assurance of their forgiveness, she went in peace to meet her Maker.

June 12, 2024 01:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.