2 comments

General

I heard people says that time runs fast, but I never believed it. Because it's been only two months after Jack left me, but it looks like it's been several years. He was a good guy, who always cared for me before his own self. And maybe that's the reason he left me without taking care of himself.

He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and when we found, he was on last stage. We were so happy and never thought something like this would occur, and turned our lives upside down. Last few months were difficult for both of us but we tried to be happy.

My friends told me to move on. I never hated anything so much in my life except that word. Its very easy to say but difficult to do. I know they are trying to console me, but I couldn't move on. He was the one who was with me for a very long time.

I know most people are excited about winter and chanting, "Winter is coming," a dialogue from Game of Thrones. But I wanted it to end. The season where my Jack left me.

And I didn't want the Spring to come.

Reason?

Because of my stupid promise I did to my friend, when I was little annoyed by her constant advice. She had been bugging me to date a guy, so that I won't end up alone. I appreciate her love but I can't go on dating when it's been only few months after Jack's death. He is the only man whom I had loved with all my heart.

She had set me up with her high school friend. But after giving several thoughts I don't think it is wrong. It's just a date, I don't think it will last long. But I promised myself that I will do this for my Jack, for my friend, and for myself.

I sigh nth time today and look at my mobile phone, Kassy, my best friend, my date maker, has been pinging me constantly to remind me that I have date today. Before I get up from my bed and wash my face my phone started to ring.

"It's 6am in the morning, for God's sake"

I screamed and answered my phone.

"Lily, thank god you are alive. I thought you wouldn't pick up. You didn't forget what day today is right? Be ready at 6.30pm, I will come and pick you up. Or do you need any advice on choosing dress,,,," And she was speaking without giving a break for me to answer.

Won't her throat hurts?

I thought to myself.

"Kassey, hold on for at least one second." I shouted, she makes me to lose my temper. I do have self control but it has limits, and she is testing it.

"Listen, I didn't forget, and I won't back up. Don't worry, and I know what type of dress you would choose for me, and I don't like that. I will be ready before you arrive. Give me a break Kass. It's freaking 6 in the morning., and it's Saturday." I screamed the last word.

I am working in the banking sector, and I get leave only on weekend. I need sleep, I am a human too.

"Oops sorry babe. You sleep nicely. We don't want you to have under eye bags. Do we?" She chuckled and I clenched my teeth.

"Kass, if he is judging me based on my looks, I will really leave right at that moment."

"No no, just joking Lily. Sleep well, I will see you later bye." She sang the last word cutely by making me to chuckle. She never failed to make me laugh and happy after Jack left.

I didn't think I could sleep after my conversation with Kassy, I got up and decided to move my body from the bed. I moved to my living room and smiled by looking at my Jack's photo. I kissed him on the frame and was waiting for the evening come.

And today I realized that time do runs fast. I didn't know what I did today, I was just slacking off by watching television, and browsing on my phone.

I knew nothing about the guy whom I am going to meet. Kassy didn't tell me anything and she also said I would like him. I sighed and got up from my couch and decided to take bath, since it was 5 in the evening.

I have been on only few dates and I was bad at choosing clothes. I decided to shrug it off and wear what is comfortable for me. I wore a pink pleated zip back dress and with a pony tail hairstyle. I am not a fan of heels, so I wore a pink colored flats.

I looked at the watch and it was 6.10pm, still no calls or messages from my date maker. I was not excited for today but still some part in me was little happy that I finally got a chance to visit some place nice.

A ring on my doorbell made me to come out of my thoughts, I walked to open it, since I knew who it was. I was greeted with a sudden hug by my best friend, not giving me a chance to see her face.

"Oh my God you look so pretty, I-I am so happy for you." I chuckled at her words, she is the only person who will be happy for me after my Jack. I patted her back.

"Kassy, you are kind of ruining my date dress and makeup." The minute I completed my sentence, she gasped and broke our hug.

"Sorry babe, you look beautiful." I shook my head by smiling.

"Ready to go?" She asked. I gave a heavy sigh and nodded my head, and went to my room to grab my purse.

Before leaving my house I saw Jack's photo and I couldn't just ignore him.

"I hope you are happy for me dad." I said and left my house with Kassy to meet my date.

"It's going to be good." I said to myself and I was on the way to meet a man who may or may not like me.

March 30, 2020 07:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tina Laing
20:46 Apr 04, 2020

A very nice story to read. Keep on writing,you are doing greT

Reply

Saranglogy R
02:56 Apr 16, 2020

Thank You

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.