An Hour with A Book to Polish My Thoughts

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

6 comments

Friendship Inspirational Fiction

An inept grin shows up all over when I recollect that day and think about the episode I had been gone through. How it comes when you entered in another spot to gather books for your companion and need to battle to pick one of his favorite author which you are unaware off. Exactly the same thing happened to me.

I am Jixin and with my friend Farah, I was on the route to a crossword library.  My other friend got broken his leg while playing soccer at the ground. He was on bed rest for twenty-one days and so we had chosen to assist him with some books on his awful bad time. As I am list interested in reading books and know very less about the books, I insisted Farah to help me in searching a good book from the library.

Crossword library was at a distance of an hour from our music class thus we had intended to pursue our class gets over. As our class ended we packed the stuff and get the burgers from the nearby shop to have in a transport in our leisure time. Bus arrived and we smoothly set in the chilling air with a burger in a hand. Farah got a call from her mother. Her dad was truly sick and moved to the clinic. She got restless and felt crying. But she controlled her emotions and bravely get down at the principal stop. I was willing to help her but she refused and said that she will handle it. Presently I am here worried of her family and on the way to go to library.

I hardly visited library and read book as lack of interest in sitting at one spot preferably. I thought books are not meant for me, as I cannot finish quarter of the book in a month. However, I knew the people who show their keen interest in reading and have a good collection of books. At whatever point they get free day and night doesn't make any difference they begin perusing.

I was anxious to discover his preferred book and worried too if he does not like the one I get.  It was easy to ask him yet I wanted to shock him to perk up his torment.  I don’t want to miss the chance to look him happy as he was the book lover. I entered the initial step there was a sign of line at the reception. Few peoples are enjoying their time in a deep study and few are searching their contents. For me the first time to library was scarring but I can’t kick out from my own plan. Starting from the left to right and centered rack I had just visited blind headed to check which are the books available here. I was having no idea of story related novels. I just had read my study books and rest were not my cup of tea.  

I thought of Farah to be with me so we both can discuss and find out the best one for our bookkeeper companion. Everyone around were showing more solace with books except me.  Even small kids were in search of their comics. Any how i drew my concentration on selecting books rather than looking to other matters.  After searching things, I was confident to deal with getting best adoring books. Google worked out for me and I got the list of best books written by the best authors.

I had selected the detective books so he can narrate the stories and search out the hidden secrets from the stories.  I took the help of librarian and went on the upper floor to find the book. Looking at the books with horrifying cover pages I excluded that line to look into.  I moved to other rack of novels with romance and love stories. I moved upon and visited to fascinating fairy tales besides that books were of scientific frictions. I searched all over but failed to get the book which I was looking for. They must be in limited editions and engaged with the other readers.

Finally I decided to choose the one of my choice. I stood at the rack placed at the corner where biographies and new author books were placed. I was just looking at the cover pages and my phone beep turned on. I checked there was a message from Farah that situation is under control and not to worry. I felt at ease for her and asked for a clue to get the novel. She was amazing just text me the author and book name whose last edition he had just finished. It’s a wow moment for me to just get the book and leave.  She again text to wait for her for an hour and we will be going together to his house.

I have one more hour in the library with nothing doing. Suddenly I thought to look you-tube videos at one corner, but a small kid again come in front of me. He was figuring out something and asked me for a help. I assisted him with his science project and then played game on our mobile. He was all alone for an hour as his mom had made him sit with books and left for an hour. In no time we get a good bond. But librarian soon instructed us to follow the rules and be silent. So I then collected few comic books for him to read.  In between these comic books I got a book of a sailor journey. It was mistakenly kept by any of the members in this rack. I was keeping it at its original place but felt to read at once. I started with the summary. I got some interest and proceed onward.

Story was based on the journey of a sailor in a cyclone with roaring climate. It was a small book with a lifelong lesson. How the sailor risks his life and faces the dangers in the ocean. He fights his fear and brings courage to move on with all his positive thoughts that he will be alive when the cyclone stops.

Individuals like me when get strained in handling silly situations like to choose a gift for someone, or to fear of public gossips or to face the failure in life. But here the sailor in the story narrates the hardship of the sailor, his risks and departure from the family. After reading the book I felt the courage to face of the difficult situation. I got the inner power as the sailor bravely face the cyclone and move on to accomplish his goal, I was ready for my whole life to achieve my goal keeping all the hurdles back.

I said thanks to that child to meet me and I discovered the book and read it. I understood the importance of books how and where they can be helpful is not known to us. Books are the things strongly polish our mind and lead to a superior person. Never to give up is the theme of the book and I get influenced by it. Thanks to Farah as she arrived late and I get the chance to end up my reading. Before leaving the library I borrow two books one which was decided for our companion and one which I had discovered. The time spent in the library isn’t cool but the last hour create the great impact on me. I learned two important lessons of life one is to be myself. Instead of searching the book of his choice if I had selected from my own, it would not be wasting of time. The other main lesson I learned is to never give up. I was about to surrender and not going to choose book anymore but instead if I had done whole heartedly, nothing was impossible.

April 28, 2021 17:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Pankaj Bhatt
08:16 May 02, 2021

This put a smile on my face and warmed my heart.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ajooba Io
08:12 May 02, 2021

Loved the story. Very beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Manish Mudgal
08:10 May 02, 2021

What you are doing here is inspiring! Well done :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:07 May 02, 2021

Your stories are amazing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ankita Joshi
23:43 May 01, 2021

What a lovely story ! It really has some great moral and life lessons to learn. Superb work Trupti Bhatt 👏👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pankaj Bhatt
15:19 May 01, 2021

Excellent story written

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.