0 comments

General

Drake sighed as he walked down to the mailbox to send off his invitation. Ten years. It’d been ten years since the last time he’d seen his mother. Eleven years ago, Drake’s family had fallen on hard times. His father, Malcom, was an investor who was accused of embezzlement. His secretary was the real culprit, but she’d covered her tracks very well and had disappeared. Drake sneered bitterly. The secretary was his father’s mistress. Oh, the irony.

Malcom was convicted and sent federal prison. All of their assets had been frozen or seized.  Drake and his mother, Celeste, were living in a rent-controlled hovel of an apartment that was sure to be condemned at any time. Out of desperation, Drake turned to the only things he could in order to provide for himself and his mother: sex work, erotic dancing, and selling drugs. But, their situation wasn’t the only thing that drove him to choose those methods of making money.

Drake was transgender, and he longed to get back on testosterone and save up for top surgery. He’d just gotten everything squared away to get his appointment for surgery when everything happened with his father. Fate was a very cruel mistress sometimes.

The following year was the hardest of his life: pimps and dealers were demanding, the customers were sketchy, cruel, abusive, and in some cases hostilely transphobic. To make matters worse, Drake was about to self-destruct from all the different drugs he was on.

He was deeply depressed and saw no way out. Every night, he begged all the Gods and Goddesses in the universe to give him a miracle or give him the sweet release of death. The very next night, he finally got his miracle. And it came from the last person he would have ever thought he’d get it from.


Drake had admirers. Some of them were a little weird, but not a threat. Others were more malicious. One night, Drake gave a bus driver oral sex in exchange for a ride home. The bus driver now had it in his head that a one and done meant Drake was his. Whether he wanted to be or not.

He followed Drake everywhere, trying to get him to go on a date with him. He sent flowers and candy to both the club and his apartment, and when he wasn’t doing that, he was chasing off Drake’s customers. Drake had tried letting him down easy, and ignoring him. He’d tried cussing him out. He’d tried threatening to go to the cops. Absolutely nothing worked.

On his way out of the club, Drake found himself pinned face first to the wall in the alley. “Who was that guy I saw you with?” demanded a drunken voice in his ear.

“You mean my customer?” Drake sneered the word. “It’s a strip club. I dance. I give lap dances. You do know how clubs like that work don’t you?”

“You. Are. MINE!” the man shouted in his ear. “You’re not supposed to be with THEM!”

“I had sex with you once,” Drake snarled. “And I only did it so I wouldn’t have to walk twenty miles from that hotel in the middle of nowhere back home.”

Drake felt a sharp pain in his head as the man punched him. He was about to hit him again when a voice called, “get away from him! Right now!”

“Stay out of this!” the man barked.

“Not a chance!” the voice retorted. When the man turned around to yell at the newcomer, a policeman’s badge was flashed in his face.

“Officer Perry Harrison,” Perry introduced himself. “What’s the trouble?”

“No trouble,” the man began backing away. Drake groaned. Of all people to find him, it just had to be Perry. His high school boyfriend. The first person he’d come out as transgender to. The man who’d loved him endlessly despite his friends turning their backs on him for loving a trans guy. This was the man he thought he’d marry.

Then everything happened with his father, and Drake ended things with Perry. He told him they were moving away and starting over. Perry had offered to come too, but Drake refused, telling him to find someone else. Perry reluctantly agreed out of respect for Drake’s wishes.

“Doesn’t look like it to me,” a second voice said. Standing beside Perry was a handsome older man in his forties. He had shoulder length auburn hair and dark brown eyes. He nodded to Drake and asked, “is this creep bothering you?”

“Yes, he’s been stalking me for two months,” Drake told him. “He sends unwanted gifts to my workplace and home, he follows me around, and harasses my customers. All because he thinks one blowjob means I’m his or something like that.”

“You’ve got some explaining to do,” Perry said coldly. “Shane, do you mind taking him in? Book him for assault and menacing. I’ll take Drake to the hospital and get his statement.” What none of them saw as they rounded the corner, is one of Perry’s former friends, watching and waiting. Quietly as he could, he slipped into his car, and followed Perry and Drake to the hospital.

 

“Perry, are you sure Shane won’t mind us moving in?” Drake asked as he hugged Perry tightly. He’d missed him so much.

“We’re non-monogamous, sweetheart, of course he won’t mind,” Perry gently kissed him. “I wish you’d told me what happened. It’s going to be a long road to sobriety for you, but I promise it’ll be worth it. And I’ll be with you every step of the way.”

“Let’s go tell my mom!” Drake said excitedly. His smile faded to a look of confusion when he came in and saw his mother throwing his things in boxes.

“Mother, what are you doing?” Drake demanded.

“You’re a stripping, dealing, whore! How could you?” she shrieked. “Don’t you dare deny it! Someone came by earlier tonight and showed me a video of you and him talking about it!”

“I did it for YOU! So you wouldn’t have to work some crap job that wouldn’t pay the bills!” Drake retorted angrily. “If you want to blame someone, blame your lowlife husband. He’s the one who was literally sleeping with the enemy!”

“You need to find someplace to go,” Celeste said coldly. “My brother will be here to pick me up tomorrow. He can’t take us both in.”

“He’s coming home with me,” Perry interjected. “We’ll get his things and be on our way.”

 

“Get your invitation sent off?” Shane asked softly as he wrapped his arms around Drake’s waist. Drake was still standing outside, looking at the mailbox. Drake nodded and swiped tears from the corner of his eyes.

“Come on back inside,” Perry called from the porch. “I’ve got that hot chocolate you love that tastes like potting soil.”

“Dark chocolate does not taste like potting soil,” Drake grumbled, a small grin playing at the corners of his mouth.

“I’d much rather eat dark chocolate than pickled eggs and hot sauce,” Shane grimaced at Perry. Perry stuck his tongue out at him as he gave Drake his mug.

“What if she never forgives me?” Drake mumbled forlornly.

“Then it’s her loss,” Perry said firmly.

“She’s missing out on seeing you thrive and grow. You’re sober and clean. You’re back on testosterone and you had your surgery. You’re a highly sought-after substance dependence counselor. You help at risk youth get back on track. You could have gotten clean and focused on yourself after. But, you didn’t. You wanted to help others and help improve the process. You’re incredible,” Shane kissed him on the cheek and smiled at him. “I have the two most amazing partners in the world.”

“No, I’m the lucky one,” Drake sniffed. “Neither of you had to do anything for me. Not only did you take me in and keep me safe, but you gave me a life, love, and most importantly a family. I just wish…”

“Your family was complete,” Perry guessed. Drake nodded. Perry and Shane comforted him as he cried.

 

“That green bean casserole smells amazing, darling,” Shane told Drake as he prepared the macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes. Perry was in charge of the turkey and dressing, and Shane and Drake were tag teaming sides and dessert. A beautiful German chocolate cake sat on a glass dish next to a peach and pecan pie.

“It’s her favorite,” Drake said sadly. “Sorry, I’m really trying to use my coping skills to take my mind off of everything.”

“It’s okay for you to be sad and it’s okay for you to miss her,” Perry squeezed his hand and smiled understandingly. Shane took his other hand and smiled at him too. The moment was interrupted by a knock at the door.

Drake stared at the door as if it’d bite him. “We’ll do it together,” Shane said. When they reached the door, Drake let go of their hands and opened it with trembling fingers.

“Hello, son. I got out on probation a few days ago so I decided to pay you a visit,” Malcom said shyly. “Could I come in?”

“Yeah, all right,” Drake stood aside and let him in. “How did you know where to find me?”

“Your mother gave me this address,” Malcom said sadly. “I understand why you never came to see me. But, what I don’t understand is why she won’t see you. She told me to tell you to stop sending her invitations.”

“When you went to jail, times were hard. I’m sure you can imagine the kinds of things I had to do to ensure our survival,” Drake said bitterly. “She’s probably also mad that I’m in a non-monogamous relationship.”

“I always knew she was petty and biased, but I never thought she’d go this far,” Malcom sniffed and fought tears.

“She accepts me being trans, but she never accepted me dating Perry or doing what I had to for us to survive. I don’t get it,” Drake mumbled.

“Some people are strange,” Malcom sighed. “What they are and aren’t willing to accept is confusing.”

“Enough about her,” Drake said resolutely. “Let’s focus on enjoying today, and working to repair our relationship.”

“Sounds good to me, son,” Malcom stood and pulled him into a tight hug. “I’ve missed you.”

“I missed you, too, Dad,” Drake smiled as he pulled back and led his father over to the dinner table. They had a lot to catch up on.

November 23, 2019 02:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.