3 comments

Coming of Age Inspirational

AA breezy music with two good looking chic very close to each other and serving as a metaphor for the already beautiful set design that they will be ,of course, remain very together .... Forever . Yep it's a musical a very predictable one. But for juju a 11th graded student, it is nothing short of documentary. Matter for torturing urself with a boring musical? Love in the air friends. From asking him doubts even when the topic is clear to the constant giggles and hush hush conversation sending a hint -cum -declaration that he has to act fast. Crushes has happened before but nothing became rock solid. This time tables of fortune little furnished. He knew his proposal will be accepted so the fear of rejection is all but eliminated. But he wanted to make sure that this moment should be very special. Sun is the ideal chosen for the proposal but his romantic monologue was still incomplete. He always had this anxiety in him in this situation. He switched off the TV and closed his eyes. He started analyzing what were the reasons for not having a clear note with his previous crushes and what could go wrong here. His analytical session however was interrupted by the buzzing sound of doorbell. Could be father he thought . Kudos he said to himself after opening the door. A man with monochromatic black jeans and black jacket and a formal blue shirt came in. Meet pundit sulochan a reputed author and more importantly juju's father. This is was a real black comedy as this teen who is in heads on heels in love with a girl can't even write something very romantic for her while his father has written and already written 3 novels in 5 years and is gearing up for a 4th one. A 4th one on the cards? He asked. Nope his father replied. But u look as satisfied as if you have been named as times man of the year. His father gave a thoughtful look and said I learned something today. For a youth like u I hope it will be helpful. Juju said my ears are at ur service right now. His father started - my new book is composed of various short stories. One of these is about a zebra and a deer. Now one day when drinking water from the same lake they just bump into each other. In a regular chit chat the deer recalls an encounter with a tiger and how with just give it all attitude he saved his life. The interested zebra queried for more and comes to know about his glorious speed and obviously gets jealous. From there he starts following the deer everywhere for someday only as he knew they are "favorites " of the group of carnivore. He always kept a distance from deer... Hey where are my manners. Forgot to ask you. Are you bored? Nope. Go on was the reply. So.. Yeah after a few days of studying he decides to test himself. He starts running. He runs very hard. He copies the footsteps of deer meticulously and goes on with good speed. He tries to increase his ante and runs faster. He tries to do it again and again and again and.... Mr sulochan pauses with a momentary calmness and then says he does due to exasperation. He dies because he wasn't able to get away with the pressure. He died because he tried to COPY someone. After a brief thought juju asked that why the story irked the publisher. Well they think its quite dark. They want it to modify it. But that's what they want not I. Can't u liberate it a bit asked juju. His father, waiting for this replied - the real meaning of story is not just about copying somebody and making a fool out of urself. It is a strict message that it is better to be a second rate professional in a work that you love rather than trying to be a first rate professional in a work which you don't. I love writing. Compromising with it may be better for others but not for me. Saying this he kept the draft on the table and said to juju looks like I have a lot of stuff to do for publishing the book of mine. He went in his room with juju all alone absorbing his father's words. He know understood what was missing. He was not being genuine. He was not honest with himself. Why did he needed the monologue at first place. What is the guarantee that it will leave a great impression on her. He was not a matinee idol he didn't wanted to be. He is just a average guy who still has this awkwardness if starting a conversation at the first place even if he comes to know them better.He is and was always a shy boy. A boy who was only comfortable to deal with his question and having a perception that he could be OK with everybody whereas in reality he wasn't. He wasn't that true to his instincts as he was right now. He always had this perception of I can be OK with anybody but could never understand that why he felt so lonely on unauthorized class party to school function. He has always tried to brush it off but the truth was slowly gaining the momentum. He understood the notion of being an introvert and it is actually not harmful but provided a window for self analysis. It provided an opportunity to know urself better. To fell in love with you urself and admire urself little better which rarely anybody does. He understood that he should follow the motto of love what you do and do what you love. Life is not just about finding urself but also about shaping urself bit by bit and too lovingly. He smiled at himself and thought about msging his lady love to meet on Sunday. I will share my feelings for her. MY GENUINE FEELINGS FOR HER . So he messaged k... Girl's name? I leave it on u folks. Because u will read what I have written but u can imagine what you want .

July 25, 2021 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

18:00 Aug 01, 2021

I love the way you emphasized the moral instead of leaving us to think On our own. It is indeed a nice story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alice Richardson
08:08 Aug 01, 2021

An interesting, thoughtful story. Perhaps you could ask someone to read it for you to help with your grammar. I think English is not your first language and a good story needs to flow smoothly. Please keep writing.

Reply

Shreyan Gaurab
17:20 Aug 01, 2021

Thank you very much. Will keep that in mind

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.